Nissan-Navara.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all looking at getting back into caravaning we are looking at a hobby or Lmc trailer
Got a 2016 Navra to pull it . am I right in thinking that the trailer can only be a certain length to pull legally in the uk many thanks for any advice

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
It is just he body on the caravan,ignoring the a frame and gas bottle box if you have one. Unless you are importing something, it will be compliant with the C&U regs anyway.

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
I am not sure what you are concerned about, is it the caravan or are you concerned about towing a caravan with a pickup?

·
Registered
259 Posts
We pull a twin axle Elddis with our D40, the caravan is 7 metres but if you measure the total length (ie from the tow-hitch) it's 8.

No problems for the D40, you hardly feel the caravan on the back.

·
Super Moderator
4,529 Posts
Size wise as long as its not a silly big american import you wont have a problem and a nav will pull just about anything so you wont have a problem with the weight either!
The only potential problem is with your driving licence! If you passed your test during or after 1997 your not automatically allowed to tow anything over 750kg! Which most caravans are!

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
Size wise as long as its not a silly big american import you wont have a problem and a nav will pull just about anything so you wont have a problem with the weight either!
The only potential problem is with your driving licence! If you passed your test during or after 1997 your not automatically allowed to tow anything over 750kg! Which most caravans are!
Rather weirdly, it is a bit more complicated than that.
You can still tow over 750kg provided the combined MAM is less than 3.5t. So while the 750kg therefore applies to a pickup, with something like a Duster you could actually tow something more like 1.5t.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not sure what you are concerned about, is it the caravan or are you concerned about towing a caravan with a pickup?
Not worried about pulling it it’s just some of the trailers we are looking at the body is over 7m long and they are all 8ft wide just can do without being stopped with the set up every trip out

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I passed my test before 1997

·
Super Moderator
4,529 Posts
Rather weirdly, it is a bit more complicated than that.
You can still tow over 750kg provided the combined MAM is less than 3.5t. So while the 750kg therefore applies to a pickup, with something like a Duster you could actually tow something more like 1.5t.
Yea i know, but i didnt want to confuse things and i was assuming the op was using a navara to tow it anyway

·
Super Moderator
4,529 Posts
I passed my test before 1997
Your fine to tow anything up to a combined weight of 8.25 ton then!
provided the trailer weight dosent exceed the towing capacity of the tow vehicle!
And you'll be hard pushed to find a caravan that exceeds the towing limit of a navara!

Reactions: Jezzerb

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
provided the trailer weight dosent exceed the towing capacity of the tow vehicle!
And you'll be hard pushed to find a caravan that exceeds the towing limit of a navara!
Yes but how about the length thought you could only tow up to 7m

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
Yes but how about the length thought you could only tow up to 7m
7m max caravan body, yes.

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
Based on the fact that the original question has now been answered, and that no caravan manufacturer will make an illegal caravan in Europe, this topic has been closed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.