Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you pack your gear in the back how hard is it to reach the back, so that it is packed securely.

Will I need steps to get in the back to pack stuff up, were looking for one with a body on the back.

A bloke down the pub who used his daily for work, fire extinguishers , he said he found it hard everyday, he has sold his and has a crrewcab Vito now which is easier to load.

Thoughts please, I'm no spring chicken but reasonably agile, but don't want to keep bumping my head faffing about :grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
A friend (with fifth wheel) swears by his Mitsubishi Fuso/Canter (has other names too, and is also a nissan).
It is a small mini-artic but you can have all sorts of options built on the rear chassis.
His seats 7 in the cab apparently! His is about the size of a Nav, but they come in several sizes.
Just a thought.

Anyway, if you load the pickup truck bed with camping gear, my recommendation is to leave a small central gangway from front to rear, and use tiedown straps to stop things moving. You can easily step up into the tub from the rear to get to all the things then....

Reactions: duffs54

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend (with fifth wheel) swears by his Mitsubishi Fuso/Canter (has other names too, and is also a nissan).
It is a small mini-artic but you can have all sorts of options built on the rear chassis.
His seats 7 in the cab apparently! His is about the size of a Nav, but they come in several sizes.
Just a thought.

Anyway, if you load the pickup truck bed with camping gear, my recommendation is to leave a small central gangway from front to rear, and use tiedown straps to stop things moving. You can easily step up into the tub from the rear to get to all the things then....
Love the 5th wheelers,

Thank you, I'm sure we will be ok, what is it about blokes in pubs flipping knowing it all lol:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Thank you, I'm sure we will be ok, what is it about blokes in pubs flipping knowing it all lol:grin2::grin2:
Umm, sorry, I don't go to pubs or know it all! You asked for "thoughts" though....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New question about packing please:

Our tent weighs approx 35kilos where do we place it in the tub?

in our V70 volvo, it was the last thing in and on the left handside, apparently another person who knows says it should be in the middle over the axle?

help please, we were just going to plonk it at the back, last thing in first thing out?

Cheers

·
Registered
260 Posts
My D40 has a Truckman S Series top fitted. It has gull wings on either side which allow me to pack (and unpack) the load bay with ease...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My D40 has a Truckman S Series top fitted. It has gull wings on either side which allow me to pack (and unpack) the load bay with ease...
We saw one of those advertised, they do look much easier, ours has windows that just pop out, like the old style back windows in cars lol

·
Administrator
2,384 Posts
35kg is not particularly heavy - your steel spare is comparable and that’s entirely behind the axle.

But you were given good advice - heavy items (fuel, water, tools) ought to be forward of the rear axle (if you can) or at least directly over it (if you have to), but never behind it. This is one of the major shortcomings of the L200/Triton as a utility: almost the entire tray is behind the axle.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
35kg is not particularly heavy - your steel spare is comparable and that’s entirely behind the axle.

But you were given good advice - heavy items (fuel, water, tools) ought to be forward of the rear axle (if you can) or at least directly over it (if you have to), but never behind it. This is one of the major shortcomings of the L200/Triton as a utility: almost the entire tray is behind the axle.
We have plenty of other things that we can spread about too, I bet we were always over weight in the volvo eeek

·
Administrator
13,140 Posts

Camping in France is a bit less hardcore than that.
It's normally more about finding space for the croissants and wine glasses than space for tools and water.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's normally more about finding space for the croissants and wine glasses than space for tools and water.
Lol definitely, we can now bring back more stock than before with our estate too

·
Administrator
13,140 Posts
Lol definitely, we can now bring back more stock than before with our estate too
Fill it up with €3 wine before Brexit kicks in!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
can't believe just how many bottles we go thru a day it's just so easy isn't it :laugh2:
In a day? Did you mean in a week? I must be getting old.... :)
I'm sure in the future you will be able to bring back 2 bottles duty free, just as before, but if I remember you could also bring back as much as you liked so long as you declared it at UK Customs, and paid the duty, which still may save money.
And get over there before the mooted €50 charge for visa entry to the EU kicks in, that was mentioned in the press !

I'm back to Portugal in September - our usual campsite bar round for a pint and a large white wine is €3.60, but who knows what that will be in £UK in a couple of years.... Get the rounds in now !! :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In a day? Did you mean in a week? I must be getting old.... :)
I'm sure in the future you will be able to bring back 2 bottles duty free, just as before, but if I remember you could also bring back as much as you liked so long as you declared it at UK Customs, and paid the duty, which still may save money.
And get over there before the mooted €50 charge for visa entry to the EU kicks in, that was mentioned in the press !

I'm back to Portugal in September - our usual campsite bar round for a pint and a large white wine is €3.60, but who knows what that will be in £UK in a couple of years.... Get the rounds in now !! :)
Lol in a day, we camp with my Sis so we shift quite alot, especially if we start early..........>:)

I do remember customs and declaring stuff, it's going to be awful again no doubt, £50 for a visa, blimey that's extortionate.

Our way of life is going to change that's for sure :frown2:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The visas are still being argued, so it may be OK.
The bit I'm not sure about getting sorted is going back to a maximum stay of 90 days unless you have residential status of some sort....

I shall be playing "Nimrod" when I next leave the port of Bilbao (for those who get the reference - to Hong Kong).
I hear Trump is hoping to sell the UK some "Wall Building Technology" and a low-cost Mexican work crew!! :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Fill it up with €3 wine before Brexit kicks in!
But surely our just and reasonable elected leaders will be free to negotiate such wonderful free trade deals with the rest of the world that we will be able to enjoy superb Argentinian, Chilean, South African, Australian and New Zealand vintages for a fraction of that price.....

or we go back to drinking flat warm brown stuff......or Double Diamond. But as we'll only be able to pair it with the (non-existent) north sea cod and chips it doesn't matter that much

1 - 20 of 63 Posts