Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day
have a 2008 Jap 25yd motor that I am in the process of removing the head and found the LH camshaft doesn't line up with the mark on the chain but the RH shaft probably would if there was a mark on the camshaft as the cams are definitely one link out with each other ie the LH cam shaft is lagging the RH, is this just bad assembly at sometime??? or is there some reason behind it as the motor runs really sweet except for air/gas in the water and an oil leak at RH rear of head.
Timing chain looks ok and guides show no wear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah I got that wrong, on proper inspection all the links are one out so I guess it works out ok but RH cam still looks to be at different angle to LH but if marks are the same they can't be?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah I got that wrong, on proper inspection all the links are one out so I guess it works out ok but RH cam still looks to be at different angle to LH but if marks are the same they can't be?
Hi When you lock the injection pump gear with the lock pin looking from the front the left cam shaft spot should be at 11o clock and right at 1 o clock, Cheers Mate,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thanks for that, my confusion came about because there was a blue marker on the LH camshaft and none on the RH one this coupled with the blue mark on the chain didn't line up (one link out) with the LH cam mark, on further checking I found the indentations on the end of the shafts and fuel pump which are all one link out to the chain marks so in fact there is no real problem except the marks don't line up but are actually in sync.

Looking along the lobes it still looks like the two cams are not at the same angle but it is probably just that I don't have the cogs indentations at the correct angles as you say so not worrying any more, maybe I better get a protractor out but think it will be ok.
Was going to check primary chain but really the top chain looks perfect and there was no noise at all on start up so might leave them and will at least until I check the head:unsure: but first need to find a hex socket set so might take some time but got plenty to do otherwise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi When you lock the injection pump gear with the lock pin looking from the front the left cam shaft spot should be at 11o clock and right at 1 o clock, Cheers Mate,
Yeah thanks for that, my confusion came about because there was a blue marker on the LH camshaft and none on the RH one this coupled with the blue mark on the chain didn't line up (one link out) with the LH cam mark, on further checking I found the indentations on the end of the shafts and fuel pump which are all one link out to the chain marks so in fact there is no real problem except the marks don't line up but are actually in sync.

Looking along the lobes it still looks like the two cams are not at the same angle but it is probably just that I don't have the cogs indentations at the correct angles as you say so not worrying any more, maybe I better get a protractor out but think it will be ok.
Was going to check primary chain but really the top chain looks perfect and there was no noise at all on start up so might leave them and will at least until I check the head:unsure: but first need to find a hex socket set so might take some time but got plenty to do otherwise.
Hi Mate, There should be dimple markes on the Cyl/ head beside the cam gears which line up with the marks on the cam gears, You get different colours on the chain link depending what chain you have mines were black links to the cam spots and yellow to the spot on the pump drive, Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah thanks got it all in the end just all chain (blue/green/yellow) mark were one link out which doesn't make much difference except to a pedantic bloke like me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah thanks got it all in the end just all chain (blue/green/yellow) mark were one link out which doesn't make much difference except to a pedantic bloke like me.
Hi Mate,That’s good you got it sorted out ok, lve ordered a Centre and rear silencer box for mines I might have to remove the cylinder head depending how much carbon inside the head lm trying to source a cheap diesel compression tester to test the cylinders before I remove the engine to finish off the lower chain my mot due in July don’t know if there still giving 6 months grace on the mot s due to the covit virus. Cheers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know why you have so much gunk except for excessive blow by in the engine, all the 25y motors I have seen (only 4) are gunked up under the rocker cover and the intercooler pipes so took grandson no 3's advice and put a catch can in which really cleaned his 3L motor up and hopefully will help mine.
No experience prior with these motors as previously had Hi Luxes which I thought were dirty but these nissan motors take it to another level.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't know why you have so much gunk except for excessive blow by in the engine, all the 25y motors I have seen (only 4) are gunked up under the rocker cover and the intercooler pipes so took grandson no 3's advice and put a catch can in which really cleaned his 3L motor up and hopefully will help mine.
No experience prior with these motors as previously had Hi Luxes which I thought were dirty but these nissan motors take it to another level.
Hi, lm sorry l did not buy a Hilux back in the day if known the engine problems with the D22 it would have been a good choice, Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts