Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really chuffed, have just completed a caravan and towing course, can now reverse into a bay, around a corner and straight back.

Now that's not saying of course, it will be a speedy maneuver or a correct one, but I now know which way the steering wheel needs to go.

Still awaiting our first trip in it, I've somehow got pneumonia in Feb, Malc broke his wrist in Jan and still can't drive etc, and had a hospital stay.:frown2:

So were hoping to go away soon in the van, definitely feel more confident.

:smile2::smile2:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Well done - enjoy your travels! And get well soon.

Top Tip: Despite what they said about "tiny amounts", you can turn the steering wheel to max lock if you are short of space when reversing, but never go back for more than 1-2m on full lock (that is the important "tiny amount", before straightening up again)

Top Tip 2: No shame in reversing a bit and getting out to look as often as you need to; you won't have anything like the set of mirrors necessary to see much when in a reverse with a long caravan and truck.

Top Tip 3: Nothing beats a spouse with a walkie-talkie to talk you onto a tight pitch - you are unlikely to see the low-hanging tree branches yourself!

Reactions: duffs54

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well done - enjoy your travels! And get well soon.

Top Tip: Despite what they said about "tiny amounts", you can turn the steering wheel to max lock if you are short of space when reversing, but never go back for more than 1-2m on full lock (that is the important "tiny amount", before straightening up again)

Top Tip 2: No shame in reversing a bit and getting out to look as often as you need to; you won't have anything like the set of mirrors necessary to see much when in a reverse with a long caravan and truck.

Top Tip 3: Nothing beats a spouse with a walkie-talkie to talk you onto a tight pitch - you are unlikely to see the low-hanging tree branches yourself!
That's good advice :grin2:, thank you, yes getting better thank you x

·
Registered
276 Posts
I believe ALL the best Caravan sites are up north ? I am sure that there are no good ones down here in Dorset so no need for you to use the M3 or M27 >:)
Well done, enjoy the travels but I also think Cornwall is the same, all caravan sites are closed this year :grin2: NORTH is the way to go

Reactions: duffs54 and Diver

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Yep, Spain and especially Portugal, are the places to be....At least until June...

Unfortunately, we are booked for the whole summer in rainy, cramped/overcrowded Cornwall, starting next week, as I can't be bothered with Durness this summer (and my parka is buried deep in the front locker).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yep, Spain and especially Portugal, are the places to be....At least until June...

Unfortunately, we are booked for the whole summer in rainy, cramped/overcrowded Cornwall, starting next week, as I can't be bothered with Durness this summer (and my parka is buried deep in the front locker).
It's stunning down here at the moment mate, been almost t-shirt weather today.........

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
It's stunning down here at the moment mate, been almost t-shirt weather today.........
So I hear! We have had a run of low 20s (i.e T-shirt and shorts for weeks and us seeking shade from the sun), but oddly, maybe now you have posted that info, it's cloudy in Albufeira!
Of course, when we get to the Lizard area next week, we will all get downpours, frogs, cats etc from the skies!

Still, a change is as good as a rest..... And maybe our final trip before selling the rig if we can find a nice house in West Cornwall!

·
Registered
276 Posts
So I hear! We have had a run of low 20s (i.e T-shirt and shorts for weeks and us seeking shade from the sun), but oddly, maybe now you have posted that info, it's cloudy in Albufeira!
Of course, when we get to the Lizard area next week, we will all get downpours, frogs, cats etc from the skies!

Still, a change is as good as a rest..... And maybe our final trip before selling the rig if we can find a nice house in West Cornwall!
Right so if it rains down here next week I know where to come looking for you 0:), I hope you have a great time over that way it a stunning area

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
We've no idea where to buy yet, apart from no towns/noise, no cramped areas... Only been to Cornwall on few holidays in the last 60 years, but I have a wife who is good at this stuff - so, fingers crossed :)

·
Super Moderator
1,178 Posts
Congratulations on your pass.

And hope that chest clears up rapid.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We've no idea where to buy yet, apart from no towns/noise, no cramped areas... Only been to Cornwall on few holidays in the last 60 years, but I have a wife who is good at this stuff - so, fingers crossed :)
Portugal has all of the above; live here? I have been living here, in Central Portugal, for four years, no intention of returning to the UK. As a West Country man myself, prior to moving here, i think you will be lucky to find; no noise or cramped areas in Cornwall; in the Summer! And as for the traffic,on the roads!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Wow that sounds fabby, hope Wifie finds something x

·
Registered
276 Posts
Portugal has all of the above; live here? I have been living here, in Central Portugal, for four years, no intention of returning to the UK. As a West Country man myself, prior to moving here, i think you will be lucky to find; no noise or cramped areas in Cornwall; in the Summer! And as for the traffic,on the roads!!
We want to join you in Portugal in a few years time, probably up around Porto area

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The nice thing about Portugal is that it is one of the few places that you can still buy a "golden visa" for, now the UK is planning to be a totally separate country from the EU - i.e. live there and be included in their system hassle-free with healthcare etc - already known to be better than the nearly-privatized UK! You don't need to be a rich Russian to take advantage....

All you have to do is buy a property for €500k or more, and you are sorted, less if you buy a "project" and fix it up. We did seriously think about that, but instead we have an accepted offer on a house in a quiet (yes really!) bit of Cornwall near Penzance. Our family and friends can visit easily (parking for 5 cars), and a walk to the beach or into town, if we pull it off. We still hope to over-winter in Portugal though, when we sell the Navara and 5th wheel rig, using long-stay apartments, which are cheap over the winter....

Portugal - recommended! If you fancy it, get resident before we leave the EU, is my advice...

·
Registered
276 Posts
The nice thing about Portugal is that it is one of the few places that you can still buy a "golden visa" for, now the UK is planning to be a totally separate country from the EU - i.e. live there and be included in their system hassle-free with healthcare etc - already known to be better than the nearly-privatized UK! You don't need to be a rich Russian to take advantage....

All you have to do is buy a property for €500k or more, and you are sorted, less if you buy a "project" and fix it up. We did seriously think about that, but instead we have an accepted offer on a house in a quiet (yes really!) bit of Cornwall near Penzance. Our family and friends can visit easily (parking for 5 cars), and a walk to the beach or into town, if we pull it off. We still hope to over-winter in Portugal though, when we sell the Navara and 5th wheel rig, using long-stay apartments, which are cheap over the winter....

Portugal - recommended! If you fancy it, get resident before we leave the EU, is my advice...
Penzance, nice part of Cornwall that, if you get the chance go down to Lamorna Cove, its stunning or even Prussia Cove the other side of Marazion, it's an old smuggler cove :wink2:

As for Portugal yeah I was thinking that but I have heard that they aren't going to need a visa to visit so with luck living there shouldn't be too much of a problem and the fact I want to run a business I'm kind of hoping that will also play in my favour

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Seriously, if it's your thing, best to go asap, and be there "on the day" with a tax (fiscal) number, an address, a local bank account etc., unless you prefer it the hard way, which is to come, when we've taken back control. Be ready to apply for residence. When you are a tax payer there, you get all the stuff like healthcare, schools, etc - the EHIC card will stop soon.

Don't assume "wanting to run a business" cuts anything there, but bringing in serious cash reserves, or expanding a registered company with healthy accounts, works everywhere, no matter what.

And you will need a tourist visa for any visit over 3 months in any 12....

On the other point:

We will take your advice on the coves etc, but we can't count any chickens until we exchange and complete! It's a nice bit of Penzance called Gulval - and in fact very quiet (a cul de sac where the tourists will never go), totally private gardens, parking for up to 5 cars (no hint implied), walking distance to tesco, sainbury, Penzance town, railway/bus station, beach etc.... It ticks all my wife's "boxes" bar one - a sea view (you have to walk to the top of the close to see St Michael's Mount).

Cleaned out - I hope to get some good food waste from the bins at the back of Lidl for a few months :) :) Hence selling the rig - no Merc for me!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts