Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted this catch can 18 months ago, looked in it today and this is what I found, it’s not coolant, it’s clear water , there is just a small trace of oil which makes me question if it’s really needed, has anyone else had this , I’m thinking it has to be condensation, at least that’s what I’m hoping, 2012 d40

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,715 Posts
You should expect water.

One of the things with a catch can is that it needs to be in an place where it gets good airflow. The oil coming through is in vapour, so the catch can needs to be cool to let the oil settle.

Personally I'm not convinced about catch cans, the big issue with modern diesels is the soot in the intake from the EGR. A small amount of oil in the intercooler isn't going to cause any problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should expect water.

One of the things with a catch can is that it needs to be in an place where it gets good airflow. The oil coming through is in vapour, so the catch can needs to be cool to let the oil settle.

Personally I'm not convinced about catch cans, the big issue with modern diesels is the soot in the intake from the EGR. A small amount of oil in the intercooler isn't going to cause any problems.
It is situated behind the grill so plenty cool enough I think, I agree about whether they do any good, after 18 months it had Barely drop of oil in it

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Navara D40 RX 2.5 Manual Diesel Single Cab
19 Posts
I fitted this catch can 18 months ago, looked in it today and this is what I found, it’s not coolant, it’s clear water , there is just a small trace of oil which makes me question if it’s really needed, has anyone else had this , I’m thinking it has to be condensation, at least that’s what I’m hoping, 2012 d40
I have the exact same catch can fitted to my D40, and two other diesels in my household. I packed them with stainless steel pot scrubbers you buy at the supermarket. This gives more surface area for the oil to condense from the vapour. I modified the inlet with an internal pipe that goes to the bottom of the can to force the vapour to pass through the mesh baffle on it's way to the outlet.

It seems to work as they collect oil. This video shows how to modify them.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Navara D23 NP300
103 Posts
I have the exact same catch can fitted to my D40, and two other diesels in my household. I packed them with stainless steel pot scrubbers you buy at the supermarket. This gives more surface area for the oil to condense from the vapour. I modified the inlet with an internal pipe that goes to the bottom of the can to force the vapour to pass through the mesh baffle on it's way to the outlet.

It seems to work as they collect oil. This video shows how to modify them.

As above, needs something to catch onto and condense. I have a oil catch can, and secondary filter combo. Might find one to suit yours.

Kit

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts