Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
First post on here, had my truck a few months but there has been a rise in the area of cat converters being nicked so thought I'll get one.
However looking online the navara is the only truck that doesn't have one designed specifically for it, the ranger, hilux etc have ones designed for it but cant find anything for the navara.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get one? Failing that, anyone reccomend a universal one they have?

It's a 2017 tekna twin cab.

Thanks
Matt

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
Hello, Matt, welcome.

Just weld up the fixings, Job done. If they want the Cat. they'll need to cut it off. Can't see that happening.? But easy for you to do if you need to later.

I find the whole cat theft thing intriguing. I saw a sticker on a van at work which said something like "This vehicle is fitted with a tracked cat" or something. I was stunned for a moment, whilst I processed this new theft exploit.

I find it mad that someone would lie underneath any vehicle and rob a cat. Changing it yourself is enough of a drama, never mind in the dead of night lying on the tar in the dark in the middle of a city/town, lol!!

Some of these CatLocs are just steel cable anyway; who can't silently snip that with incredible ease. My Knipex pliers would probably munch that in a second. Absolute waste of money those type. I haven't seen any others I'm afraid to say.

Seriously, weld a few fixings.

·
Administrator
12,667 Posts
How accessible is the NP300 cat? I know on the d40 the cat is just after turbo and difficult to access, normally the thieves go for vans where the cat is easily accessible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply mate. I got a report through from my neighborhood watch the other day and there were 4 incidents in the same night within a 5 mile radius so got me thinking I need to sort something. There is an article online that says they can have a cat off within 5 minutes as they arent fussed about breaking anything so cut anything in sight.
Will look into jacking it up and welding though as that does seem a very simple yet effective solution.
Guessing it's like anything, if they really want it they will find a way all you can do it make it difficult enough to deter.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How accessible is the NP300 cat? I know on the d40 the cat is just after turbo and difficult to access, normally the thieves go for vans where the cat is easily accessible.
From what I can see from a brief look underneath it's at the bottom of the engine and turns under the body. It looks pretty tucked away behind a crossmemeber so would be difficult.

Just seems odd that I cant find any for the navara online but no mention of nissan designing it so it was more difficult. Seems like a logical thing to do from the factory, would be a good selling point

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
Will look into jacking it up and welding though as that does seem a very simple yet effective solution.
Guessing it's like anything, if they really want it they will find a way all you can do it make it difficult enough to deter.
Wait a minute, I just had a thought, you don't have a cat!, that's why you can't find a lock? D23 have DPF. Same issue though, they're worth a small mint so could be at risk, but....

....as Landmannnn mentioned, accessibility could be worse than the D40 on the D23 DPF

I honestly could never imagine these thieves using a grinder with a slitting disc (normal grinder won't fit)!? So their only other (half silent) option is a hacksaw, and you better devote 4 hours or something trying to hacksaw through a hard weld on a nut when the flanges are tight and the bolt shaft isn't accessible. AND, you'd never get access to make the cut at the turbo end anyway.

Hmm....

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
I wonder how they are making off with van DPFs?

Maybe the likes of a Mercedes Sprinter has the DPF hanging underneath and you just whip it off....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah maybe that's why I cant find anything for it then! Another reason I'm glad I chose the navara over to others around.

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
They'll be disappointed when they get under my truck hopeing to steal the cat and dpf! There both in a pile with the rest of the oem exhaust somewhere at the back of the shed 🙊🤣

·
Administrator
12,667 Posts
It seems the Prius and other hybrids are the main target as they have a lot more of those precious metals than normal cars.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Wait a minute, I just had a thought, you don't have a cat!, that's why you can't find a lock? D23 have DPF. Same issue though, they're worth a small mint so could be at risk, but....

....as Landmannnn mentioned, accessibility could be worse than the D40 on the D23 DPF

I honestly could never imagine these thieves using a grinder with a slitting disc (normal grinder won't fit)!? So their only other (half silent) option is a hacksaw, and you better devote 4 hours or something trying to hacksaw through a hard weld on a nut when the flanges are tight and the bolt shaft isn't accessible. AND, you'd never get access to make the cut at the turbo end anyway.

Hmm....
Sorry I think you are mistaken the reason the Nav doesnt need a navlok is because its an absolute pig to remove and certainly cannot be cut off its up behind the Turbo and attached to the exhaust manifold difficult enough to see let alone get at.. DPF s have no precious metals in them so have no attraction to the thieves
So theres no arguments the DPF sits under the drivers seat and on those that have it so does the AD blu dosing box

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
From what I can see from a brief look underneath it's at the bottom of the engine and turns under the body. It looks pretty tucked away behind a crossmemeber so would be difficult.
Thats not the cat its the DPF and AD blu dosing there is no likelihood of them being taken as they have no intrinsic value

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
For sure, Dosh, I totally concentrated on access as the main issue, as Landmannnn mentioned first too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had stolen dpf from my hyundai tucson. I took them 3 minutes I have it recorded on cctv camera. They are using reciprocutting battery saw.

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
I had stolen dpf from my hyundai tucson. I took them 3 minutes I have it recorded on cctv camera. They are using reciprocutting battery saw.
Hi Stan,

I'm very sorry to hear you have been a victim of this disgusting crime.

I doubt anyone would use a re-cip saw in cities in this country - too noisy, I'm sure it would raise concern, and there would be little chance of getting away too with the amount of cameras about here.

I'm guessing it's hand tools in the dead of night in most parts of the UK.

I hope you caught the guy who stole it.

·
Administrator
12,667 Posts
They don't do it at night normally, just put on hiviz jackets and do it during the day, brazen as you like.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
I remember when the new amazon warehouse near me opened. they parked about 20 brand new 1transit connect vans down the street over a bank holiday weekend!
Im sure it was just a coincidence that there was a "caravan community" near by when every one of them had there cat stolen! 🤦‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
I am stunned at that, gentlemen. The absolute brass neck of whipping out a cordless re-cip and sliding yourself under a vehicle in broad daylight. Absolutely crazy days.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts