Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Chaps, I did it :partycheer: :partycheer:
Today i changed the suction control valve and reset the ECU thanks to the site . :thumbright: Below are some pics i hope they can be of use to some of you who have had a crazy quote from Nissan as i did .

After these steps you need to undo the bolts on the valve ....This is quite awkward to get to but it is possible PERSEVERE ! :thumbright:

Once you have connected the new valve back make sure you put the new gasket back on and put it back in to place doing bot nuts up again .

After you have done the nuts up connect back the fuel hose and the dipstick and all other bits you took out of the way to get to it .

Then Perform the ecu reset .(i got the info on this reset from another post on here fantastic :thumbright: thanks Andy : viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5786 )

And the jobs a good un :thumbright:

Took it for a spin and all seems well :D :D :D

Thanks for reading

·
Premium Member
11,343 Posts
Re: Changed Suction Control Valve - Jobs a good un' (pic's i

Great job, great pics mate :thumbleft:

I'm not a very 'hands on' owner, but out of interest, what did nissan quote you, for what looks like just undoing a few bolts and jubilee clips :?:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Changed Suction Control Valve - Jobs a good un' (pic's i

Tucker said:
Great job, great pics mate :thumbleft:

I'm not a very 'hands on' owner, but out of interest, what did nissan quote you, for what looks like just undoing a few bolts and jubilee clips :?:

Thanks all :thumbright:

Nissan quoted me a WHOPPING £1800.00 +vat :shock: :shock: :shock: They wanted to change all the fuel rail and fuel pump and injection system etc...... when in fact the issue was just this suction control valve . They try to make it sound like its brain surgery when in effect its not that bad ....especially when you have a forum as good as this to point you in the right direction >>>>>> thanks to all who have posted on this issue of "limp mode" i was able to do the job myself :D :D :D , and believe me i am no mechanic , infact i only just got a set of spanner for Christmas . :lol: :lol:

:partycheer: so happy it did not cost me £1800.00 but only £120.00 plus 3 hours of my time ...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
finally solved it..... Suction control valve

Ever since I got my pathfinder last May, I have had a cold start tick over problem, also very lazy when pulling away.
Over this past year the follow work on the engine:
New duplex timing chain kit. (hydraulic chain tensioner failing)
New pressure sensor on common rail, ( old one leaked)
Extra shimmed over pressure spill valve, common rail.
Blanked off EGR.
Full service/filters oil/fuel air etc.
The above jobs were done as a necessity or as an "improving fixes" suggested from this great forum.
Thus far, never bottomed the cold start uneven tick over and occasional stall when cold.
Always been ok once engine warmed up.
Although I have found the engine misses slightly when free revving once warm.
In the past couple of weeks, the cold start tick over issue has developed more prominent and recently engine has just cut out without warning when warm. I had my injectors tested, all ok, MAf on diagnostics showed low signal voltage, stuck a new Maf on, seemed abit smoother, no cold start improvement.
I had ignored the SCV, as a new one was fitted by Nissan just before I purchased the car.
However, with the recent engine cutting out problem, I've looked at it again.
As the symptoms point to it, especially as getting no fault codes.
I ordered a new genuine Denso SCV from PF Jones (Diesel doctor) £124 delivered, £180 from Nissan.
They used the Pump number to match up the correct SCV.
It arrived on Friday.... fitted it Friday night, once fitted, ecu reset. started up not problem.
I was a little perturbed when the svc arrived as it was shorter and had a dark blue cap, not light grey as the svc already on.
I spoke to PF Jones, they told me it is the right replacement, they fit the same SCV to their refurbed pumps.
They also said this new blue cap SCV is the latest Denso version from Japan, a lot more reliable than the grey ones built for European market. ( they are shifting over 200 of the same SCV every month).
Anyway, since I've fitted this new SCV, it's like a different car, perfect tick over on cold start, good acceleration, not lazy pick up that I've suffered since I've had the car.
I'm cuffed to bits now.
Just bought a caravan, so feel far more confident towing it than I did up to last Friday.
Below top: is the old Faulty grey cap still on. under is the new Blue cap SCV.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,354 Posts
Re: finally solved it..... Suction pressure valve

thanks for the feed back :thumbleft:
glad your sorted :D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Re: finally solved it..... Suction pressure valve

More thanks to you guys really, I wouldn't have got anywhere without the info available.
Annoying and funny really, when I look back at my posts, asking about why my truck was really poor at heavy towing etc....or the leak on my common rail etc... all the time it's been my failing scv.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Re: finally solved it..... Suction control valve

Apart from Movano's injector failures, apparently SCV failures are the most "common" fault on common rail trucks, especially Denso systems. I did I bit of googling and it is ridiculous how many are failing on all makes of truck, Isuzu have released a bulletin, stating that the new SCV fitted must be turquoise end not beige or grey, so they know about it.
The Aussies also have a big stink about scv failures on the nav's.

·
Registered
460 Posts

is it worth changing the 'grey' scv with a 'blue' one as a precaution / to increase reliability as a matter of course?

I will have a poke about on the morning and see where this little devil lives and what colour it is.

great work there DIYDAVE

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

If your engine is running fine, I would leave well alone.
If you get any of any of the symptoms I suffered, do the easy things first, fuel filter, clean your Maf, ecu reset etc.

As your car is running fine, personally I would not disturb it.

Regarding the SCV with grey/beige end cap, and the latest replacement for my particular injection pump is dark blue.
This is what Diesel jones told me.
Just for info, the same SCV fits Mazda 6, xtrails, Vauxhall Meriva 1.7cdti etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts

lads!!!! need some help. my pathy started giving me trouble the other

the symptoms..........
Cant give it the beans or Limp mode kicks in,
lack of power after i shift gears,
a fault code p1272

I changed the fuel filter the other day and done the ecu reset, still same problem,

Now funny enough i drove down to Electric Picnic and the problems appear to have gone,
haven't given it the beans yet but no weird lack of power after gear changes .

any ideas???

thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts

Oh i forgot to mention if i cut out, it wont start unless i start it with a bit of throttle

im thinking the scv alright

·
Registered
50 Posts

Hi Dave, I've now changed the fuel filter on mine and (having made no difference) it looks like the SCV is the next thing to change.

I think I've read somewhere that you take off the inner wing and go at it from underneath (rather than from above). The first thing I need to do is get the part numebr for the fuel pump so I can get the correct SCV. I'm not sure what I'm looking for..is the fuel pump shown on your photo above?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

The top picture shows the fuel pump part No, if you get a nice small torch and look through at the engine from the offside front wheel, you can clearly see your fuel pump.

When I swapped my SCV by removing the inner wing, just remove the x8 screws, then I think x5 plastic rivet clips, (prise out the flat disc a millimetre with a flat headed driver, then pull out the whole rivet in one with some combination pliers.
Once all the fixings are out, pull out your inner wing.

However most have done the swap from the top. I liked to get right at it. (if your car is due a service, swap the oil filter while you have the wing out)

Remove the electric connector
The SCV is held in place by two cap head set screws, (I think 5mm allen key)
I used my allen sockets to undo the screws.
Once I had the old SCV off, I took the new SCV out it sealed bag, then fitted the new O ring provided.
Make sure everything is spotless, ensure the O ring stays in place on the SCV when fitting it to the pump.
I kept the SCV pushed up against the pump with hand pressure while I tightened up the new screws.
Once its in place connect it back up, ( my new SCV connector socket was 180 degrees from the old one.)
I performed the ECU reset, then started her up.
Check for any leaks, job done :happy0071

·
Registered
50 Posts

Hi DIYDave,

Thanks for the update.

I've found one from Diesel Components UK on Ebay which looks right (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-PATHFI ... 417420aedb) but does not list my pump number as one which it fits.. My pump number is 16700 EB 300 which I think is the same as yours.

The item is listed as a DENSO 294009-0120. Do you (or anyone else) know if this is indeed the correct SCV?

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

That's the right Svc for said pump my friend.

·
Registered
370 Posts

You guys are legends! I've had exactly the same symptoms as diydave mentions at the start of this post. Cold start (even when 20+ outside) and engine wants to stall. Revs hunt like buggery, then tries to stall etc etc. Had limp mode only a few times (thank Christ!) but once she's warmed up no problems at all, like a different car!

Been to 3 garages and tried various MAF & EGR cleansing routines, searched all over t'internet....if a new SCV solves this issue (I've been putting up with it for over two years) I'll be so happy people will wonder what I'm up to!

·
Registered
370 Posts

Thanks for posting that, but it leads to a question I hadn't thought of earlier about fuel pressure: what readings are you getting with a new SCV? Just wondering how the results compare with my possibly crapped out one.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.