Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all from sunny Spain, just joined as i,m about to purchase a 2016 Navara with 235k on the clock , 1 private owner from new , absolutely unmarked , no scratches/marks in rear tub as used as a private vehicle, cloth interior is absolutely immaculate and spotless full Nissan main dealer service history [ i know seems toooo good to be true ..!!!.]

After a few weeks of reviewing horror stories and tales of woe regarding chassis rails corroding and collapsing i am considering having the chassis and internal voids sprayed with Dinitrol or waxoyled , dos any one know of kit of nylon or rubber bungs to seal it up to prevent moisture and **** from getting thro into the numerous holes in the rails .

As i have not picked it up yet would the timing chain be replaced [ recommended at around 80kms ] as part of a normal Nissan servicing program ?

·
Administrator
14,275 Posts
Hi all from sunny Spain, just joined as i,m about to purchase a 2016 Navara with 235k on the clock , 1 private owner from new , absolutely unmarked , no scratches/marks in rear tub as used as a private vehicle, cloth interior is absolutely immaculate and spotless full Nissan main dealer service history [ i know seems toooo good to be true ..!!!.]

After a few weeks of reviewing horror stories and tales of woe regarding chassis rails corroding and collapsing i am considering having the chassis and internal voids sprayed with Dinitrol or waxoyled , dos any one know of kit of nylon or rubber bungs to seal it up to prevent moisture and **** from getting thro into the numerous holes in the rails .

As i have not picked it up yet would the timing chain be replaced [ recommended at around 80kms ] as part of a normal Nissan servicing program ?
Welcome along.

Firstly the chassis corrosion is limited to countries where rock salt is poured on the roads. Zero concern for a Spanish dweller.

Bungs are not relevant to you, even then they are a bad idea as they keep the chassis damp inside and make rust worse.

A 2016 model will not have any timing chain issues, it was the previous engine that did. Not part of any service schedule though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Firstly the chassis corrosion is limited to countries where rock salt is poured on the roads. Zero concern for a Spanish dweller. "

Spain uses loads of salt , where i live in southern Spain they produce 150,00 tons a year [ and that is from just 1 of the several salt producers locally ..!!] and most is used internally , once you get above 300/400 ft during the winter months expect frost ,ice and snow ..!! Madrid had 6ft snowdrift 10days ago and the city was paralyzed , Madrid sent 90 trucks down continuously for a week to our local salt company
to salt the roads .

Most people who only come to the coast for summer holidays dont realise Spain is a cold country with a hot summer , northern Spains winter climate along with Portugal is clder and wetter than the UK ..!!

I am doing my annual pilgrimage to get my van moted and sold this weekend and i am going to forgo the fun and games on the eastern route offered by my tom tom ..!!!!!

·
Administrator
14,275 Posts
Fair point, you are right many countries do use some salt on the road.

I wasn't aware that Spain used so much salt on roads. The major difference, and why the UK (and Ireland) suffer more than most is the vast amount of salt used, over 3 million tonnes each year.

"Firstly the chassis corrosion is limited to countries where rock salt is poured on the roads. Zero concern for a Spanish dweller. "

Spain uses loads of salt , where i live in southern Spain they produce 150,00 tons a year [ and that is from just 1 of the several salt producers locally ..!!] and most is used internally , once you get above 300/400 ft during the winter months expect frost ,ice and snow ..!! Madrid had 6ft snowdrift 10days ago and the city was paralyzed , Madrid sent 90 trucks down continuously for a week to our local salt company
to salt the roads .

Most people who only come to the coast for summer holidays dont realise Spain is a cold country with a hot summer , northern Spains winter climate along with Portugal is clder and wetter than the UK ..!!

I am doing my annual pilgrimage to get my van moted and sold this weekend and i am going to forgo the fun and games on the eastern route offered by my tom tom ..!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts