Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried self diagnosis mode for the climate control but can't seem to get it to work. Can anyone clarify exactly which buttons I need to press.
Thanks
Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

it doesn't give cold or hot air, it just kind varies between cool and luke warm. I have it going in for a gas recharge tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

If you go through the service manual to automatic air conditioner it is page 55.

"The self-diagnostic system diagnoses sensors, door motors, blower motor, etc. Refer to applicable sections
(items) for details. Shifting from usual control to the self-diagnostic system is accomplished by turning the ignition switch ON and pressing the down blower arrow switch while turning the passenger temperature dial in either direction (hold momentarily). Within 3 seconds of doing this, press the AUTO switch. The blower bars will flash and the ambient temperature display will indicate 0° during the self-diagnosis. Fault codes (if any are present) will be displayed in the ambient temperature display area."
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,825 Posts
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

if it doesnt disply any faults codes, maybe there is nothing wrong with it, or there is a sensor fault which the diagnostic is reading as OK... :scratch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

It is supposed to read 88 in the ambient temperature display if there is no fault. It is also supposed to cycle through the functions to check sensor voltages. It doesn't do anything at all. I thought maybe the passenger temp dial may have meant the drivers one,as the manual appears to be aimed more towards the lhd models.

It might be two seperate things, i.e no air con gas, and thermostat but seems too much of coincidence, which leads me to think both are related. I guess tomorrow the gas recharge will prove or disprove my theory
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

I have had the aircon recharged and is now blowing air at 10 deg C. I think the hot side of things is just not as hot as I am used to from petrol cars. Reading reviews kind of confirms this, and any vehicle that has a switch specifically to warm the engine must run pretty cool.

On another note, how can halfrauds charge £40 for a can of Air Con 'top up' when you can have it cleaned, pressure tested, lubricated and recharged for £45.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,536 Posts
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

adz1282 said:
I have had the aircon recharged and is now blowing air at 10 deg C. I think the hot side of things is just not as hot as I am used to from petrol cars. Reading reviews kind of confirms this, and any vehicle that has a switch specifically to warm the engine must run pretty cool.

On another note, how can halfrauds charge £40 for a can of Air Con 'top up' when you can have it cleaned, pressure tested, lubricated and recharged for £45.
Cos halfords and kwik fit havent a clue, the amount of car air cons ive had to correct latey cos of there quote "10% colder air con" all the muppets do is bung more refrigerant into the system and over charging it!! then when you get weather like what we are getting at the minute the pressures are higher in the system and they then cut out on high pressure or cause problems with the compressor.

Adz, you say they have recharged it to get it working! so the gas was either low or none in it. so there must be a leak on it! have they repaired the leak.........??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

They did pressure test it to detect a leak. I'm assuming it won't detect any slow leaks. But before I start chasing a leak that may not be there I thought for the sake of 40 quid, why not. It hasn't worked since I bought it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,597 Posts
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

adz1282 said:
I have had the aircon recharged and is now blowing air at 10 deg C. I think the hot side of things is just not as hot as I am used to from petrol cars. Reading reviews kind of confirms this, and any vehicle that has a switch specifically to warm the engine must run pretty cool.

On another note, how can halfrauds charge £40 for a can of Air Con 'top up' when you can have it cleaned, pressure tested, lubricated and recharged for £45.
I used mine in the winter to bring it up to temperature quicker, its not that the engine runs cool (temp needle just below half) It doesnt mean the engines run any cooler as the switch only ups the revs a little and this is only at tickover, so when your actually driving it does nothing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,536 Posts
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

adz1282 said:
They did pressure test it to detect a leak. I'm assuming it won't detect any slow leaks. But before I start chasing a leak that may not be there I thought for the sake of 40 quid, why not. It hasn't worked since I bought it.
2 stages to leak test a car air con unit or any other refrigeration unit for that matter.

1. Visual checks, signs of oil round joints, fractures etc....
2. Pressure testing (2 types of pressure testing)
with nitrogen, to 500psi then listen for hissing sound around joints etc...
with Refrigerant, equalize pressure in system to approx 70psi, then go round all joints, condenser, evaporator with a electronic refrigerant leak detector.

If a system is short of gas or no gas in it, THERE IS A LEAK and all leaks are detecable by one of the above.

most commom causes of leaks on car air con.
1. lack of use, rubber/plastic seals used in the system can dry out and crack and start to weep, thats why it says in the handbook run the A/C at least once a week.

2. stones hitting condenser (mounted in front of radiator) and pierceing it.


I used mine in the winter to bring it up to temperature quicker, its not that the engine runs cool (temp needle just below half) It doesnt mean the engines run any cooler as the switch only ups the revs a little and this is only at tickover, so when your actually driving it does nothing.
Using the air con in winter will not bring it up to temp quicker, using it in winter is good for dehumidifing, the heater side of it works by drawing water through the heater matrix from the cars cooling system. So heat through the vents isnt present untill the water in the cars cooling system starts to warm up.
That slight increase in revs which will be matched with a click from a clutch pulling in that drives the A/C Compressor. when ever you ask the A/C to run at a lower temp than it is inside the cabin then the compressor will be running regardless of the car speed! as it will be cooling. put the temp above the inside temp and the A/C compressor will stop and heat will be drawn from the warm water thats circulating through the heater matrix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,597 Posts
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

Andy said:
adz1282 said:
They did pressure test it to detect a leak. I'm assuming it won't detect any slow leaks. But before I start chasing a leak that may not be there I thought for the sake of 40 quid, why not. It hasn't worked since I bought it.
2 stages to leak test a car air con unit or any other refrigeration unit for that matter.

1. Visual checks, signs of oil round joints, fractures etc....
2. Pressure testing (2 types of pressure testing)
with nitrogen, to 500psi then listen for hissing sound around joints etc...
with Refrigerant, equalize pressure in system to approx 70psi, then go round all joints, condenser, evaporator with a electronic refrigerant leak detector.

If a system is short of gas or no gas in it, THERE IS A LEAK and all leaks are detecable by one of the above.

most commom causes of leaks on car air con.
1. lack of use, rubber/plastic seals used in the system can dry out and crack and start to weep, thats why it says in the handbook run the A/C at least once a week.



2. stones hitting condenser (mounted in front of radiator) and pierceing it.


I used mine in the winter to bring it up to temperature quicker, its not that the engine runs cool (temp needle just below half) It doesnt mean the engines run any cooler as the switch only ups the revs a little and this is only at tickover, so when your actually driving it does nothing.
Using the air con in winter will not bring it up to temp quicker, using it in winter is good for dehumidifing, the heater side of it works by drawing water through the heater matrix from the cars cooling system. So heat through the vents isnt present untill the water in the cars cooling system starts to warm up.
That slight increase in revs which will be matched with a click from a clutch pulling in that drives the A/C Compressor. when ever you ask the A/C to run at a lower temp than it is inside the cabin then the compressor will be running regardless of the car speed! as it will be cooling. put the temp above the inside temp and the A/C compressor will stop and heat will be drawn from the warm water thats circulating through the heater matrix.

I use the tickover increase to bring the engine up to temp quicker, not the air con :roll: :lol: Thats why i highlited what i did in bold.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,536 Posts
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

Warpa said:
Andy said:
adz1282 said:
They did pressure test it to detect a leak. I'm assuming it won't detect any slow leaks. But before I start chasing a leak that may not be there I thought for the sake of 40 quid, why not. It hasn't worked since I bought it.
2 stages to leak test a car air con unit or any other refrigeration unit for that matter.

1. Visual checks, signs of oil round joints, fractures etc....
2. Pressure testing (2 types of pressure testing)
with nitrogen, to 500psi then listen for hissing sound around joints etc...
with Refrigerant, equalize pressure in system to approx 70psi, then go round all joints, condenser, evaporator with a electronic refrigerant leak detector.

If a system is short of gas or no gas in it, THERE IS A LEAK and all leaks are detecable by one of the above.

most commom causes of leaks on car air con.
1. lack of use, rubber/plastic seals used in the system can dry out and crack and start to weep, thats why it says in the handbook run the A/C at least once a week.



2. stones hitting condenser (mounted in front of radiator) and pierceing it.


I used mine in the winter to bring it up to temperature quicker, its not that the engine runs cool (temp needle just below half) It doesnt mean the engines run any cooler as the switch only ups the revs a little and this is only at tickover, so when your actually driving it does nothing.
Using the air con in winter will not bring it up to temp quicker, using it in winter is good for dehumidifing, the heater side of it works by drawing water through the heater matrix from the cars cooling system. So heat through the vents isnt present untill the water in the cars cooling system starts to warm up.
That slight increase in revs which will be matched with a click from a clutch pulling in that drives the A/C Compressor. when ever you ask the A/C to run at a lower temp than it is inside the cabin then the compressor will be running regardless of the car speed! as it will be cooling. put the temp above the inside temp and the A/C compressor will stop and heat will be drawn from the warm water thats circulating through the heater matrix.

I use the tickover increase to bring the engine up to temp quicker, not the air con :roll: :lol: Thats why i highlited what i did in bold.
As in that button thats hardly visable down by your left knee??? :lol: :lol: :scratch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

adz1282 said:
It is supposed to read 88 in the ambient temperature display if there is no fault. It is also supposed to cycle through the functions to check sensor voltages. It doesn't do anything at all. I thought maybe the passenger temp dial may have meant the drivers one,as the manual appears to be aimed more towards the lhd models.
Has anyone managed to get the unit to go into self-test mode ? There seems to be some confusion in the manual, one part indicates ignition on and the other mentions engine running. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Should the blower switch be released before pressing auto ?
Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,597 Posts
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

These self diagnostic tests should be stickied, we have this and the fuel pump reset, and also the dash light check and resetting the service interval meter. Maybe someone could start a self diagnostic thread to be stickied...points at Andy and peeps can post the mini how too's.

To save them being lost in pages of thread, keep the mini diag how to bumped to the top, a mods job...points at Andy :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

I know this is an old thread, but despite trying it a zillion times (might be exaggerating a bit) I cant get mine to go into self diagnostic mode :scratch:

First hot (ish) day today and found mine aircon only blows luke warm :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Re: Climate Control Self diagnosis mode

adz1282 said:
I have tried self diagnosis mode for the climate control but can't seem to get it to work. Can anyone clarify exactly which buttons I need to press.
Thanks
Adam
Have you solved the problem?
I've tried dozens of times and I have not succeeded.
I wrote to Nissan and now waiting for response.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top