Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

Have an 2001 D22 which makes a dreadfull clunking noise when in full lock to either the left or right. From reading other forums on the net, others seem to be suffering with a similar problem, some even calling it characteristic of that particular age?

My initial thought was a suspension related problem as the clunking is more frequent under braking on a descent or uneven ground, these being situations that cause the front shocks to become further into there travel than normal.

I have read elsewhere that the problem is caused by an incorrect set up of 4 bolts used to restrict the amount of steer on full lock?? The top of the bolt heads actually make contact with a plate on the chassis at full lock?

Although i dont believe this to be a serious problem im hoping someone out there has experienced a similar problem and could offer any advise on how to eliminate the problem?

Any help is very much appreciated

Matt

·
Registered
110 Posts
Matt,

My 2005 D22 did develope a clunk but more of a grinding noise when on full lock when I would drive over unven ground after about 13,000ks.

Told the dealer on the 20,000klm service and they fixed it. They 'told me' the ball joints were dry in the front end and needed some greese :roll: & charged me $30 to greese them :evil: The problem was fixed but i noticed the same noise about 2 weeks ago (46,000klms on the clock now) but haven't heard it since.

Damo.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Black_Rat said:
Matt,
Hi
had this with mine couple of times .look under front you will see steering stops they will be shiny need wedge of grease before they snap ends off.
neil

My 2005 D22 did develope a clunk but more of a grinding noise when on full lock when I would drive over unven ground after about 13,000ks.

Told the dealer on the 20,000klm service and they fixed it. They 'told me' the ball joints were dry in the front end and needed some greese :roll: & charged me $30 to greese them :evil: The problem was fixed but i noticed the same noise about 2 weeks ago (46,000klms on the clock now) but haven't heard it since.

Damo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI Damo,

Thanks for the reply. Gonna go check what you said and try applying some grease as u suggested

Let you know how i get on

Thanks, Matt

P.s anyone elses ideas on this matter would be much appreciated

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hi Matt

This is a common problem on the D22.

You will find that it's your nylon steering cap ends.

I took mine in for a service at the main dealers and they replaced them free of charge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Clunking

Mine used to start clunking usually just before it needed serviced. It just needs greased on the arms with the stops on the inside of the front wheels.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got under the front today and as you guys had advised me, it was the nylon steering caps (whats left of em). Acording to the service manual, the steering caps should be 26.5mm in lenght, mine were more like 35mm. Now set em back to 26.5mm, applied some grease and all seems good now!

Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't suppose anyone has a photo of these blighters so that a numpty like me knows what there looking at?

·
Registered
976 Posts
simply don't use force it to full lock exspecially on rough ground, let the steering come back n its own as you go over the bumps. ditto in most vechiles. otherwise you simply wear the steering stops out. we have already warn one set out due to the previous driver doing full lock all the time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have had a couple of "clunks" in the last few weeks and it is annoying :x

It must be due for a new set of steering caps :cry:

It is a pain in the ar$se because you need to use full lock to get any sort of turning circle out of them :evil: :roll: :lol:

Damo

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have the same problem with my navara
the problem is the steering lock stops which when new have a plastic caps but this wears away quickly .
every service they need to be greased and this will stop the noise for a time .
because they are lockstops they stop your wheels turning too much and you cant adjust anything to cure this , even the nissan dealers just grease them .
you will see them behind the front wheels and come into contact with the lower wishbones , hence the noise over uneven ground

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
No nipels! :lol:

They are just lugs of metal that come into contact when on full lock.

To find them turn the wheel till you are at full lock and have a look underneath to see where they touch the chassis, there are tow points that meet at each wheel for each lock (left and right) so you may have to look twice!

Once found just dab on some greese and the problem will be solved! They may require more greese in the future tho.

If you stiil cant find I will atemt too take a photo tomorrow, but as I am computer illiterate I faild miserably last time at trying to post pictures!

·
Registered
Navara Outlaw - 2004
17 Posts
I’ve had the same problem, but it seems to be more than one issue. I fitted new steering caps and greased them, but I still get a clunk at full lock, but only when reversing.

I think it’s a different type of clunk 😅 but I can’t be sure.

Anybody had a similar issue?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I’ve had the same problem, but it seems to be more than one issue. I fitted new steering caps and greased them, but I still get a clunk at full lock, but only when reversing.

I think it’s a different type of clunk 😅 but I can’t be sure.

Anybody had a similar issue?

·
Registered
238 Posts
The plastic stops on the end of the steering stops don’t matter to much what’s happens when the suspension moves the hex on the end of the steering stop rubs on the stop plate on the lower wish bone which causes the cracking noise just grease the plate and the hex on the steering stop and the noise will go away I use cooper slip it lasts longer don’t use the spray can stuff it’s to thin, it use to happen on my D22 now you never hear any noises on hard lock. The stop plates are just behind the front suspension drop links.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts