Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some observations from when I was looking at Pathfinders recently and noticed that they seem to share a few common areas of rust on the body. I eventually bought one which was the best overall condition for my budget (and prioritised chassis condition over body), but still had a nasty bit inside the rear hatch slam panel.

The commonly discussed areas of rust seemed to be:
-Front of windshield
-Boot hatch cover at chrome surround
-Roof gutters where paint is thin (a good way of fixing this was on a thread on The Nissan Path forum.

But I found that nearly all the models I saw had a degree of rust (from good to very bad) in the following areas, but I couldn't find much discussion about them:

-Rust on rear sill under door. I thought this might be from stone chips, but from observing the mud spray following some off-roading, the running boards seem to protect this area from debris impact. What would this rust be from? Is it rusting from the rear and breaking through or forming on the outside surface?

- Rust on the frame around the rear boot opening, just under where the rear roof gutters terminate and close to the hatch strut bases. Half of the cars I saw had this rusted all the way though with holes forming. Sadly mine had a horrid hole here,although I had a plate welded in to correct this. I can't think why this area would rust. Mine was just on one side but some had it both sides.

Any thoughts on these issues?

·
Administrator
15,146 Posts
Both the Navara and pathfinder suffer body corrosion. The roof and A pillars are due to the lack of paint and also not galvanising the roof. (Actually not galvanising, both like something called galvannealing)
The other patches tend to be due to Nissan joining panels by overlapping and creating a moisture trap.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have rust in all the common areas mentioned. 2009 plate and its shocking the rust on it! I have a 2006 focus and that's not got a patch of rust anywhere on the body work. I wouldn't buy another Nissan due to the fact the barely put any paint on them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got the full house of rust spots on mine too.

This summer was going to be the year I sorted it out but the A/C repair has taken longer and more ££££ than I planned.

Ah well, next year.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Im on my 2nd Pathfinder, my 1st 55 plate Pathfinder had a tailgate re-spray under warranty, chrome surround cuts through the paint and allows water get to the steel, All Pathfinders are covered for this failure under warranty up to six years old.
Other than that, no other rust issues.

My current Pathfinder, 2011 no issues yet. I dinitrol all my vehicles, and check it every year.
Seems to do the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
On my 3rd pathfinder. 1st one I chopped in because the tailgate looked horrific (black metallic), otherwise it was rust free. Second one was pretty much free of rust (metallic grey). third and current one is showing tiny spots on the lower rear passenger door and a patch above the chrome surround on the tailgate. The dealer fobbed me off the other day, but Dave has spurred me on to keep pursuing the tailgate (size of half a 10p piece at the moment, but the winter wont do it much good) this one is white.

All get polished twice a year (clay bar, machine polish then wax) and very few washes inbetween.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Nissan customer service attempted cuff the rusty tailgate, saying the the rust was my fault due to using the chrome trim as a handle to open the tailgate, when I asked the Nissan guy which handle do you use to open and lift the tailgate, he accepted that the chrome handle is a handle.
I suggest you speak to your nearest Nissan dealership. The one I used was fully aware of the issue and did a sterling job. Trent Nissan Hull.

·
Registered
113 Posts
On my pathfinder 07 surface rust under the car on the hatch portion where water drains, on roof where water drains off the car. Used some sand paper and corrective paint on the roof want to see how it hold on this winter, For the hatch need to buy primer and a spray can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
R51 rust at chrome boot handle

R51 rust at chrome boot handle!

I know this is a common issue we’re the chrome handle sides rub into the boot paintwork causing either side to rust but I am unable to find a great deal of info on how people have tackled this.
Is there anyone out there with details and pictures on removal of the rear chrome and what paint kits they used? I purchased a paint kit based on my pathfinders paint code which tackled a few lower arch rust issues but the paint is not an exact match. Not a big issue as it’s only myself that would notice in them treated areas but the boot door is a different issue with much larger rusted areas.

Any info is much appreciated

Regards

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Just pop off the rear hatch door card, and all will be revealed for the chrome handle. You will get a better feel of how far the rust has gone, to determine your next step.

Reactions: b7evan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 07 plate. Dark blue. All the same rust areas. About to tackle them. Shame, as the truck is excellent for both my work as a carpenter, and for towing a very heavy caravan. Appears to be very thin paint at fault.

·
Administrator
15,146 Posts
It's not done badly, plenty of badly rusted early Pathfinders that were basket cases back in 2011 and 2012.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts