Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello mate. What made you pick the nav out of everything else on offer?
Hello there. Process of elimination really. The Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 doesnt quality as a commercial vehicle for tax (specifically BIK) purposes if you fit a hardtop or cover, the old Amarok was underpowered and the new Amarok commands an extra £15k (fully specced out) over the Navara, also I needed a vehicle for April, VW couldn't supply until June so didnt have a choice in the end. Finally, the new Hilux seemed to be rated just slightly under the Navara in the motoring press, despite its historical reputation. On balance, given the features of the Navara, the 5 years 100,000 warranty and a £99 4 year servicing pack, the Navara pegged the Hilux at the post.

I didn't really look at american trucks or the Isuzu/Mercedes/Fiat/Renault offerings, as I think the Merc and Renault are based on the Navara anyway and Isuzu I'd likely buy if I was a farmer. Fiat...well, it's a Fiat.

Cheers.

PS. The 17% off the Navara that I was offered also swayed me I have to say.

·
Super Moderator
518 Posts
Hello there. Process of elimination really. The Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 doesnt quality as a commercial vehicle for tax (specifically BIK) purposes if you fit a hardtop or cover, the old Amarok was underpowered and the new Amarok commands an extra £15k (fully specced out) over the Navara, also I needed a vehicle for April, VW couldn't supply until June so didnt have a choice in the end. Finally, the new Hilux seemed to be rated just slightly under the Navara in the motoring press, despite its historical reputation. On balance, given the features of the Navara, the 5 years 100,000 warranty and a £99 4 year servicing pack, the Navara pegged the Hilux at the post.

I didn't really look at american trucks or the Isuzu/Mercedes/Fiat/Renault offerings, as I think the Merc and Renault are based on the Navara anyway and Isuzu I'd likely buy if I was a farmer. Fiat...well, it's a Fiat.

Cheers.
Welcome! Interesting to hear the Amarok is so expensive and that the Wildtrak is no longer a commercial!? Most of the reasons you mentioned were similar for me having an NP300.

However the Fiat is a rebadged Mitsubishi L200 which is probably better than being pure Fiat but still not the best. I found them very uncomfortable. Merc and Renault versions of the NP300 still not out as yet.

I don't miss the auto wiper setting to be honest, it has variable speed control on the intermittent. I normally found that any auto wiper system other than on a BMW was far to keen anyway. It used to drive my mad in the Astravans as I had to forever turn them of and back on again to stop them going mad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Interesting to hear the Amarok is so expensive and that the Wildtrak is no longer a commercial!? Most of the reasons you mentioned were similar for me having an NP300.

However the Fiat is a rebadged Mitsubishi L200 which is probably better than being pure Fiat but still not the best. I found them very uncomfortable. Merc and Renault versions of the NP300 still not out as yet.

I don't miss the auto wiper setting to be honest, it has variable speed control on the intermittent. I normally found that any auto wiper system other than on a BMW was far to keen anyway. It used to drive my mad in the Astravans as I had to forever turn them of and back on again to stop them going mad.
Ah, didnt know that about Fiat but I've just never fancied owning one at all.

The Wildtrak 3.2 (specifically) isn't commercial for that purpose, no. It's due to its gross payload falling below 1000kg if you fit a hardtop, which are given a universal weight of 45kg by HMRC. So it becomes a car for company car tax purposes. Silly oversight by Ford. Without a hard top it's a commercial, with, it's a car. Not sure about tonneau covers or retractable covers but I'd guess the same if they are permanent fixtures.

Auto wipers I've loved on my current Touareg (MY15) but yeah, I've had problems with them in the past. Not a deal breaker but would have been nice to have them. 360 camera outweighs it, in theory.

The Amarok came in at around £45k with all options. Far too much for a pickup truck (imo) but I have to say the permanent 4 wheel drive they nicked from the Touareg is wonderful.

·
Super Moderator
4,557 Posts
Hi and welcome from a fellow yorkshire man
How would the tax office know if youve a hard top on or not?
The only way i could think is if the police enforced it but i would think there far too busy catching criminals to notice whether your paying the right amount of road tax .....?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and welcome from a fellow yorkshire man
How would the tax office know if youve a hard top on or not?
The only way i could think is if the police enforced it but i would think there far too busy catching criminals to notice whether your paying the right amount of road tax .....?
Hi mate.

It's not for just road tax. Company car tax or BIK is how much you pay in extra income tax to have a vehicle provided by your employer. For cars, the rates are based on CO2 emissions but for commercial vehicles it's a flat rate, which is quite low. So whereas a Wildtrak 3.2 without a hard top would cost a 40% tax payer less than £200 a month or so, including personal fuel, with a hard top, taxed as a car, it would be more than double. The payload for double cabs has to be 1000kg for it to be commercial. Just 1kg below and it's considered a car. Sounds daft but it's true. Thats why almost all double cabs have payloads of somewhere around 1050-1090kg...to allow for the hard top and stay within the commercial tax threshold.

The revenue can perform random inspections at any and if theres something like that out of place, you'd be facing a bill for thousands of pounds and possibly other penalties. Pickups, particularly double cabs, are under a lot of scrutiny from HMRC at the moment, because of the amount of incorrect or outright fraudulent VAT reclaims that are going on etc etc. Thats why everyone is rushing to jump on the pickup train, Merc etc..before new regulations are brought in, I'd guess.

The above only applies to double cab pickups, crew and singles are all classed as commercial vehicles irrespective of whether they have a hard cover or not.

I really didn't feel it was worth it just to be able to add the Ranger to my list, as nice as it is.

Sorry if above is grandma, suck, eggs etc

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
The above posts have been copied from another thread as they provide some good info on BiK tax on the use of a truck as a company vehicle. Due to this, some of the post content may be off topic, however, please keep any following posts on topic. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts