Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Removing the viscus fan from your engine is one way what about a separate cooling fan for the inter cooler ?
I dont know if the UK model is the same as the Australian D40 our inter cooler is in front of the lower section of the radiator and there is ample room there to fit a small cooling fan . I would anyone know just what sort of extra performance one could expect if any

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think it perhaps would boost performance Martin - I don't know if you guys have the Subaru Impreza WRX or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 'road rally cars' (I think you probably do), - they are fitted with a water spray system as standard for the intercooler which helps performance when given a squirt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you know ezzer I was thinking of doing the water spray system because our Aussie summer is what you guys just had only ours lasts for 5 months I thought I would give the inter cooler a better chance of doing its job

or even do both I dont know yet I have all the parts just got to wait for the D40to land at my dealer

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was even thinking of recycling the air con drip water and using it in the water sprayer bottle nothing like using cool water to cool a inter cooler LOL

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Martin said:
I was even thinking of recycling the air con drip water and using it in the water sprayer bottle nothing like using cool water to cool a inter cooler LOL
Now thats a clever idea ! as the water from the evaporator will be very cool :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm also going to use a boat / yachting pressure pump that dilivers a pressure of 30psi and force the cool water though one or two mist sprayers and set a time to run the pump say every 15sec for 2sec's thats about all you need to do . all you are after is to wet the cooler fins and the air or fan will do the rest , not just a pretty face you know HAHA

·
Registered
8 Posts
keeping the intercooler colder or buying bigger intercoolers will not gain any bhp but it should stop any loss off power when air temp is extremly hot.
normal driving in uk should not need any mods as you will not notice any difference.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bretthawk
that is what I was looking for no so much to gain a load extra power but more sustainable power when the Ute is loaded for work in our Aussie hot summer where we have days on end 30'C or more

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:lol: what is the normal temp in the UK for summer ??

·
Registered
481 Posts
We don't really have a summer - just sporadic nice days most years...

It can get to around 30, but is never guaranteed :cry:

G

·
Im not going to argue the actual increase, but there WOULD be some.

The water evaporating off the intercooler fins would create a cooling effect below ambiant air temperature, thus lowering the air charge temp, therefore increasing the amount of air blah blah more power

The water needs to 'suck' heat from somewhere to evaporate - and the easiest thign is the intercooler fins.

Agreed about the fans in the UK - blowing more ambiant air at it wont make any difference worth talking about. Might help in the desert....

·
Registered
481 Posts
guydewdney said:
The water evaporating off the intercooler fins would create a cooling effect below ambiant air temperature, thus lowering the air charge temp, therefore increasing the amount of air blah blah more power

The water needs to 'suck' heat from somewhere to evaporate - and the easiest thign is the intercooler fins.
I was gonna say that :lol:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well i have just finished playing with a turbo charged car RS Focus, and have been to lots of meets with scoobys and evo's and i have never seen an intercooler with a fan attached to it!!
what most of the tweeky boys do is add a larger intercooler rad made of a better quality material to reduce charge temp, this usually stops loss of power in the summer months.
looking at the charge cooler rad on the navara (as i have had mine to peices) it is not really that great and for the long Aussie summer i would add a better item and you could go to the length of adding a spray bar to help cool things down, though on this type of diesel i do not think you will gain anything.
be interested to see what you do.

·
Registered
139 Posts
the only reason I can see for putting a bigger intercooler or a spray bar/fan on is if you wanted to upgrade your turbo to run more boost, as you would need to keep the air temp down to gain the extra power,(cooler the air the more boost you can run)
thats how I understand it, but as this is a diesel engine I may be wrong...
(use to turbo petrol engines)

·
Registered
118 Posts
bretthawk said:
keeping the intercooler colder or buying bigger intercoolers will not gain any bhp but it should stop any loss off power when air temp is extremly hot.
normal driving in uk should not need any mods as you will not notice any difference.
Oh yes it will!!

Lower inlet charge = more BHP

According to Allard Motorsport approx 0.5bhp gain for every degree inlet charge lowered by.

Big intercooler could equal 30BHP.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh, come on guys... air doesnt give power! It is the fuel! You can tweak the air system as much as you like, all it will do it perhaps reduce the amount of smoke on a hot day! Without some way of pushing in more fuel, you might as well not bother.
Power to the people!

·
Registered
976 Posts
GY54WPU said:
Oh, come on guys... air doesnt give power! It is the fuel! You can tweak the air system as much as you like, all it will do it perhaps reduce the amount of smoke on a hot day! Without some way of pushing in more fuel, you might as well not bother.
Power to the people!
not strictly true.

while fuel is the primary way of getting power, increase air increases effective compression which gives you increased efficient. better efficiency = more power.

if the ECU is regulating fuel according to air mass then increase air mass into the motor can result in the ECU adding more fuel.

one thing to watch... on a really cold setup on SOME vehicles you can actually lower the boost a bit (basically the same amount of air but less pressure due to being cooler). however a lot of diesels run the fueling from boost pressure not the air mass, so it will add less fuel resulting in loss of power. also it will depend on where the connection for the boost sensor is.

edit: petrol cars don't often need fans simply because they don't often use boost at low speeds. an air-air intercooler only works well at high speed. at low 4x4 speeds there is insuficent air flowing through the intercooller to cool it efficiently hence the need for a fan.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts