Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have a np300 2016 should the cooling fan be running all the time the engine is running any info please many thanks dawn

·
Super Moderator
184 Posts
It is a viscous coupled fan, the same as the earlier models. Yes, it's supposed to spin the whole time the engine is running. The reason for this is that there is 'drag' within the coupling. This means that it will always spin a bit but won't won't fully 'lock up' and drive at engine speed until it needs to. I'm surprised they're still fitting these, very 1960s.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a viscous coupled fan, the same as the earlier models. Yes, it's supposed to spin the whole time the engine is running. The reason for this is that there is 'drag' within the coupling. This means that it will always spin a bit but won't won't fully 'lock up' and drive at engine speed until it needs to. I'm surprised they're still fitting these, very 1960s.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for that seems a bit silly then can’t see why it needs to run all the time

·
Super Moderator
184 Posts
You're quite right, it is silly for Nissan to still be fitting this style of fan. It robs power and reduces mpg whilst cooling the engine when it doesn't need cooling. It doesn't do any of these things to a huge extent but modern ICE vehicle design is all about marginal gains. I can only assume they've gone with the slight reliability advantage as the other factors aren't as relevant when you've pushing a huge 2.5 tonne brick through the air 😄

·
Administrator
13,642 Posts
The V6 D40 has a different arrangement where there is an electronic clutch controlling the fan. Electric fans can be retrofitted if you want to do so.

None are as reliable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts