Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all!

I have recently purchased a Navara '58 plate and it seems the cruise control is not working as I found out on my way home driving through a 50mph average speed area.

When you press Cruise on and off, it does show the "CRUISE" on the dash. However when you try to set the speed, it doesn't set, nothing happens.

I have tried pushing the gear stick to the right and left, using foot to lift the clutch and brake higher, again nothing.

I'm not sure if I've tested it well and unsure what to now. I have read about the Neutral Position Sensor but unsure if it will fix it and which it is.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The neutral position switch is on the top right side of the gear box (at least on mine it was). Some replace from underneath but myself and others have found it easier to replace by removing the gear lever boot and surround and going that way. To be sure it's the nps you may need some diagnostics, I had the exact symptoms as you and took a punt and changed the nps which resolved it; From what people say it sounds like the most common fault but not the only fault that could cause these symptoms.

·
Administrator
15,622 Posts
Generally it will sometimes set if it is the NPS. The last place it will work before giving up is in third gear with the lever pushed to the left a bit.
If that doesn't work check out the switch on the clutch pedal first.
Then if no joy it is NPS time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have same problem with my cruse control. I have tested my NPS the switch is closed in the neutral position is this correct ie contacts are conducting or closed. What I need to know is if I disconnect the switch and test the cruse control will this eliminate the NPS as the problem if it still does not work. What are the consequences of driving with s/w disconnected ?.

Have tried the other switches seem ok. Anyone got a wiring diagram of test point i can check ? for voltage etc.

Hoping for good technical info on this one
Regards

JF

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have same problem with my cruse control. I have tested my NPS the switch is closed in the neutral position is this correct ie contacts are conducting or closed. What I need to know is if I disconnect the switch and test the cruse control will this eliminate the NPS as the problem if it still does not work. What are the consequences of driving with s/w disconnected ?.

Have tried the other switches seem ok. Anyone got a wiring diagram of test point i can check ? for voltage etc.

Regards

JF
How do you mean it is in the closed position? Got a picture?

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts

Regards

JF
The problem with the NPS is the nose wearing not the electrical contacts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it's FIXED! Replaced the NPS and it's working a treat!

Also bonus the part I got from Milner was a genuine Nissan part so they really are doing it for a good price considering the other prices I got.

Only issue now is, nothing is showing on the dash when it's set, get the "CRUISE" when you turn it on. However when you set the speed, nothing appears on the dash. Strange, what should it say or do?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just thought I'd pitch in here in case I can save someone else some hassle. Had the same issue and having read in a few places about the NPS being a common fault, I ordered one from Milner Off Road (great service, great price - very happy with those guys). I managed to swap mine out from the top by removing the gear lever boot and surround with only minimal damage to my hands, and.... it made no difference. I could still switch cruise control on, but it would not set.

It was only then that I looked for the switch on the clutch pedal, which in my Pathfinder is another piston type switch that is depressed by the pedal arm when you take your foot off it. It looks like the pedal or the switch had a plastic disc attached at the point of contact - I can't tell which as it immediately disintegrated when I touched it. It was then pretty obvious that the pedal was not pressing the piston into the switch properly, so I affixed a 5p coin to the pedal arm with some duct tape, and.... problem solved!!! - cruise control works (and FWIW, my car does have a "SET" light).

When I have time, I'll adjust the clutch pedal switch properly as it looks like it has some adjustment available via hex nuts on the mount. However, the top tip from me is to start with the clutch pedal switch. You might be able to save yourself some slightly awkward spannering and the price of a replacement NPS if you just have 5 minutes, a 5p coin and some duct tape. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts