Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone
I have a NP300 Connect (d23)
Both the speed limiter and cruise control show as ON when pressed but the speed cannot be selected
I have read on here that moving the gear stick to the left and/or right will check the NPS which I have done to no effect
When cruise control is selected - if i quickly move the +/- up and down a number of times it will simply switch it off, so it must be getting a signal
Is it simply that Im not doing something correctly to make this work, or is it faulty?? and if so, any advice on what to check would be very much appreciated
Thanks
legepen

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi everyone
Both the speed limiter and cruise control show as ON when pressed but the speed cannot be selected
I have read on here that moving the gear stick to the left and/or right will check the NPS which I have done to no effect
When cruise control is selected - if i quickly move the +/- up and down a number of times it will simply switch it off, so it must be getting a signal
Is it simply that Im not doing something correctly to make this work, or is it faulty?? and if so, any advice on what to check would be very much appreciated
Thanks
legepen
Hey there!
That's a manual is it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine if I move the button up or down too quickly to increase/decrease speed it switches off, or freezes on the first speed selected, I often have to wait for the car to accelerate close to the speed its stuck at before jigging with the switch again to move it to where I want.

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts
Hi everyone
Thanks
legepen
Markq's answer makes a lot of sense.

The posts you will have seen refer to the D40. I don't think it is exactly the same gearbox in the D23. For the D40 if you move the gearstick to the left in 4th and it will set, the NPS switch on the gearbox is worn, certainly worth a try, if that makes no difference it is not the NPS.

There's 2 other things if Markq's suggestion doesn't work. Actually applies to any vehicle, firstly the clock spring behind the steering wheel might be failing. Secondly there is a second switch on the brake pedal to unset cruise which in some cases can get damaged or knocked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's 2 other things if Markq's suggestion doesn't work. Actually applies to any vehicle, firstly the clock spring behind the steering wheel might be failing. Secondly there is a second switch on the brake pedal to unset cruise which in some cases can get damaged or knocked.
Thanks for info.. Ill check things out hopefully tmrw and let you know

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ive checked what Markq advised but no good.. it has never selected a speed no matter what
I bought it accident damaged (see pic) and it started to have electrical problems (center console and interior lights switching off on their own) which i automatically put down to water damage from it been left to the elements after the accident, but very recently I discovered that there was no problem and it was simply the fuse under dash that puts vehicle into delivery mode was not engaging properly = very simple fix :)
Now back to the cruise control - ive looked at the brake pedal switch and it looks perfectly ok. not sure what you mean though with clock spring behind steering wheel? do you know how do I access this and what pupose/connection do this have with the cruise control speed selector? (vehicle currently has 71k miles)
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts
Ive checked what Markq advised but no good.. it has never selected a speed no matter what
I bought it accident damaged (see pic) and it started to have electrical problems (center console and interior lights switching off on their own) which i automatically put down to water damage from it been left to the elements after the accident, but very recently I discovered that there was no problem and it was simply the fuse under dash that puts vehicle into delivery mode was not engaging properly = very simple fix :)
Now back to the cruise control - ive looked at the brake pedal switch and it looks perfectly ok. not sure what you mean though with clock spring behind steering wheel? do you know how do I access this and what pupose/connection do this have with the cruise control speed selector? (vehicle currently has 71k miles) View attachment 66390
Ok, good that you are eliminating some potential issues.

The clock spring is the spiral cable on the end of the steering column just behind the steering wheel. It carries the signal from the steering wheel buttons to the ECU.

This cable is a ribbon in a cassette that has to cope with being turned when you are driving around corners. Sometimes an individual cable fails.

The steering wheel has to come off to access it. It is then quite simple to check continuity with a multimeter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, good that you are eliminating some potential issues.

The clock spring is the spiral cable on the end of the steering column just behind the steering wheel. It carries the signal from the steering wheel buttons to the ECU.

This cable is a ribbon in a cassette that has to cope with being turned when you are driving around corners. Sometimes an individual cable fails.

The steering wheel has to come off to access it. It is then quite simple to check continuity with a multimeter.
Thanks for the info landmannnn, however when I quickly move the switch up and down +/- it turns the cruise control off so it must be getting a signal. Do you still think I should remove steering wheel?

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts
Good question.

Assuming that the brake pedal switch is ok (it might be worth double checking with a multimeter) the the problem would logically sit with the clock spring or maybe the steering wheel switch.

So, yes, providing you have the tools then pulling the wheel off would seem the next step.

Care needed because of the airbag. Just thinking, if it was accident damaged, did the air bag fire? If so it could have damaged the switch or clock spring.

One thing to try first is reset all the computers. Disconnect a battery terminal and hit the brake pedal/horn to fully discharge everything. Then reconnect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your replies.. here is what I did
I reset it by disconnecting battery terminal.. still no good
I tried to test brake pedal switch for continuity but couldnt get probes connected because of awkward location, however at this point I realised the switch is only a two pin and the brake lights were working.. so I made assumption that the switch is fine
I really didnt want to start taking steering wheel off and it was getting a signal because it would switch off when I jiggled the switch up and down
So, took it for a drive and started to hit the brake pedal while jiggling with switch and all of a sudden - it worked!!!!
Being working ever since.. the only thing is that to initialise it.. I seem to have to select down with the toggle switch then up and it works!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your replies.. here is what I did (by the way the airbags never fired)
I tried to test brake pedal switch for continuity but couldnt get probes connected because of awkward location, however at this point I realised the switch is only a two pin and the brake lights were working.. so I made assumption that the switch is fine
I really didnt want to start taking steering wheel off and it was getting a signal because it would switch off when I jiggled the switch up and down
So, took it for a drive and started to hit the brake pedal while jiggling with switch and all of a sudden - it worked!!!!
Being working ever since.. the only thing is that to initialise it.. I seem to have to select down with the toggle switch then up and it works!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ah of course! kicking myself here.🙈

Same on the auto - you have to flick it down that gets it going. The down motion sets the initial speed, then from then you can go up/down.

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts
Thanks for all your replies.. here is what I did (by the way the airbags never fired)
There is a separate switch on the brake pedal for the cruise, maybe your fiddling with it made it work again? Anyway, good news it is working.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts