Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, hopefully by next tuesday ill have myself a 04 plate D22, its had an engine rebuild, how are these engines with a bit of extra power? I'm thinking 3inch exhaust, boost controller, front mount intercooler and a chip of some sort. Will the bottom end cope with a bit of extra power and torque?

Thanks in advance
Paul.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Depending on what's been used in the rebuild I'd be more worried about it coping with what it has at the moment.

Do you have any information on the rebuild, like was the crank reground?, what sort of shells/bearings/bolts were used?, who did it?

Not trying to scare you, but it would be best to find out what was put into it before pushing it harder.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any info on the rebuild, there is a receipt for the work with the truck so i will contact the company who did the rebuild after i've picked it up.

Saying the bottom end has been sorted, would it be strong enough for a bit of tuning?

Cheers
Paul.

·
Registered
99 Posts
front mount intercooler will introduce alot of turbo lag do to the amount of travel and extra capacity for the boost to build.... you wont see a lot of difference to be honest in power as i dont really think the intercoolers suffer from that much heat soak do to the amount of space in the engine bay

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I agree with the comments above.
Unless the engine has been re-built by someone who really understands and knows them, using the by now well tested and proven upgrading parts, you will be wasting both your time and money.
The YD25DDTi engine as originally fitted to the D22 was as fragile as egg shells, even a rebuilt one using original parts in original tuning trim is a liability waiting to explode!
Let alone a badly re-built one.
I would recommend that you read up all you can on here about the engine problem, then you will be able to ask the re-builder the pertinent questions.
Personally, given the nature of this engine I would not consider any tuning measures at all, just being grateful for the reliabilty once upgraded.
I am not trying to put you off, once sorted the D22 is a terrific truck, very little else generically goes wrong with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts