Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am tempted to disconnect the EGR valve (as it is an electronic one, pretty easy, just pull the connector off). But I am concerned about any potential error codes flagging up in the ECU. I am sure driveability should improve a lot, especially that long turbo lag between 1500 and 1800 rpm in any gear before the turbo spins up, that I am sure most of you are familiar with. :roll:

·
Registered
976 Posts
its better just to block the EGR. the valves are known to stick open or even break off so its best to block the inlet so nothing can go through the motor. that way you also don't have to worry about error codes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But by blocking it, the air flow through the engine will increase (as less of it is being "recirculated"). This could flag up an error code, in theory, as the engine will realise something is wrong.

·
Registered
976 Posts
these do not have EGR flow meters or anything to actually cheak the EGR is working correctly.

you will not get error codes because of the extra flow as the extra flow is only at part throttle. there is no real difference at full throttle (EGR is normally turned off at full throttle). the extra flow at part throttle helps keep the turbo spinning and makes it more efficent so ecomomy should improve slightly.

the ECU just thinks its a bit better air day, the extra flow is well withen operating limits.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know they do not have EGR flow meters. These do not exist. But it does have a MAF (mass air flow meter) on the filter body.
So have you disconnected it yourself? Lower intake air temps with EGR off certainly improve volumetric efficiency, so MPG should go up a bit. And driveability.

·
Registered
976 Posts
sorry i didn't see your post there GY54WPU.

the ZD30's don't have MAF sensors (at least over here they don't).

if the 2.5 litre ver does then its simply matter of trying and see. easy enough to fit a plate in and remove it should it make the ECU throw an error code.

mines blocked off, running well. certainly smoother, quieter and more powerfull at part throttle. the bogging off boost problem seems to have gone.

I know they do not have EGR flow meters. These do not exist.
some system have presure sensors and a few other sensors (proberly just valve position switch/sensor) to ensure the egr system is working. i see heaps of annoyed mechanics with cars that keep throwing up error codes due to sticky egr valves. most of the ones i've seen on diesels so far have no sensors on the egr what soever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this is an old post but found some important info on the egr. Some people might experience driveability problems when they block the egr but it might be related to the throttle chamber.
look at this drawings. this will help to understand our egr system.

it shows clearly that we also need to modify the throttle chamber to keep it open since we are not using the egr anymore.
Maybe removing the plate from the butterfly might do the trick or cheating the solenoids.
this next diagram shows when they are open or closed.

post your ideas

·
Registered
23 Posts
The navara 2.5DI hasn't the maf meter but it has got a map sensor situated in the intercooler plus a temperature sensor situated befor the air filter.
For the Low of the Gas is quite the same infact this tipe of arrangement of sensor use the formula PxV= NRT
If i'm not in error this kind of sensor is less precise than a Flow meter to analyze the quantity of air that pass, but it's more sensitive to know when the engine is under load.

If you want to block the EGR here is a guide un a French site:
http://www.nissanpickup.org/modif_egr.htm

Regards
D.N.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts