Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
bit confused about this D22 eng problem with them exploding. is this all D22 ENGINES prior to end No: YD25DDT1219661 or only certain engines? i have read some engines are not affected at all but some articles saying change bottom end shells and bolts regardless. i have a 52 plate D22 double cab with eng No YD25 050791 which seems well before the eng no mentioned, but then it's only a YD25 not a YD25DDT so is this a different eng batch and i need not worry as she has done 80,000 miles now with no noises or probs other than this lack of power thing in 3rd n 4th gear ? could some one in the know advise as i'm a tad confused.

THANX TROOPER :?

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Hi trooper im pretty sure it was all d22 engines from 2002-2006 that could be affected,theres a couple of blokes on here called wozizname or chris vince that will know for sure.As for the "mod" ye you can replace the parts to prevent it going bang have a read through the "d22 blown engine thread" hope this helps :thumbright:

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Trooper, sorry mate but yes the YD25 engines are the problem ones :(
The DDTI part does not get stamped on to the block :!:
Yours is 'early' number, however Nissan do not know when the assembly problems began :roll: so all YD25 units are at risk :puker:
The ONLY sure way is to do the 'mod' to check and prevent this failure :pale:

To double check yours has a YD25 engine fitted then check your chassis number from the log book or vehicle. It should read something like JN1 C P U D22 U O then your own vehicle ID number (6 no's).
To break this down JN1 means built in Japan, C means double cab, P means YD25 engine fitted, U means long wheelbase 4WD, U for Europe and O stop-gap before your vehicles own ID.

Hope this makes some sense :scratch:

Woz

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi woz

thanx but just wot i didn't want to hear as she's done about K80,000 now. although she does get regular oil & filter changes, there is no engine noise on start up at all and the oil light goes out within seconds dare i carry on using her for a while? i'm a qualified mechanic myself and can't hear any indication of big end noise at all, only problem is this loss of power thing in 3rd 'n' 4th gear. thanks for your advice though i really was hoping it'll last a few more miles so i can get the bits together and some better weather.

regards TROOP

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
trooper said:
hi woz

thanx but just wot i didn't want to hear as she's done about K80,000 now. although she does get regular oil & filter changes, there is no engine noise on start up at all and the oil light goes out within seconds dare i carry on using her for a while? i'm a qualified mechanic myself and can't hear any indication of big end noise at all, only problem is this loss of power thing in 3rd 'n' 4th gear. thanks for your advice though i really was hoping it'll last a few more miles so i can get the bits together and some better weather.

regards TROOP
Trooper I was in exactly the same position as you at the beginning of the year :(
I'm a mechanic also and researched as much as I could about this issue when my engine started to 'tap'.
I did lubricate the belts and the 'tap' was eliminated, however I had that 'nagging' feeling every time I drove the vehicle :roll:
I was convinced it was cam/buckets or little ends as the sound was half engine speed and not heavy enough to be big ends.
I got the bits to do the 'mod' and was truly amazed when I dropped the bottom end to find as many on here have found No3 shot, No4 picking up and 1&2 showing signs of wear.
Glad yours hasn't developed the 'tap' as yet and I think if you run her on fresh good oil with a tin of Wynn's in there for a bit of 'back-up' keeping the revs low, you should be safe (hopefully). You know the sound to listen for so keep tuned for it :thumbright:
I had to do this with mine for 2 weeks obtaining the bits for the 'mod' and got away with it as above :bom:
Good luck
:cheers2: Woz

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Trooper,
By all probablity you won't get any traditional big end knocking sounds.
I have known Nissan mechanics unsuccessfully change cams and followers for a top end rattle, only for the next owner to remove the sump to find No3 completely knackered.
Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi all

thanks guys, looks like i have a job on my hands then because all though there are no traditional big end sounds etc that v.slight top end tick is there, but gonna do another oil 'n' filter + a drop of ZX1 (man u guys should use this stuff it's the dogs danglies) change this week after a trip to the dealers for a moan. hopefully if i dont find any or too much sign of metal deposits in the sump.

once again thanks for all the help SOOOO glad i found this site

regards TROOPER

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I doubt very much that you will find any metal deposits in the old oil.
Probably only laboratory analysis will pick this up.
The amount of wear in the end shells that causes these catastrophic failures is absolutely minimal!
This fact will be atested to by others, who have already gone or been forced down this sad road.
Bite the bullet and do it, you will then be able to sleep easy, the cost is very small for the benefits achieved, after all the main 'cost' will be your time .
Good luck,
Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanx chris and tony

well thats my mind made up then, just hope she holds out till i can afford the bits, hopefully next month. will keep you all informed.
i take it the parts listed on the eng bit by you chris are all still current and available because if i'm gonna do it i will install uprated parts?

also thought this might interest you. the 3/4 gear lack of power problem can be easily tested to see if it is the NPS switch on top of the gear box, my brother is a KIA mechanic and one of his workshop lads is ex nissan, me bro had a chat form me this am at work and told me via his work colleage that the best way to test for this problem with the NPS switch is to take your vehicle for a drive, when the problem starts (with mine its in fourth gear) hold the gearstick or rather push it as hard to the left as you can whilst in gear, if the prob with accelleration goes then its the NPS switch, no need for crawling around and disconecting things. worked on mine so now all i have to do is replace the switch @ £66.00 kin pounds. hey ho its only money

regards TROOP

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
:clappy: Glad you've decided to carry out the 'mod' and I'm sure it won't be a waste of time or money :thumbright:
Be sure to carry out the EGR blanking mod while you're at it, as you don't want that sooty ***** getting into your lovely new parts.

trooper said:
also thought this might interest you. the 3/4 gear lack of power problem can be easily tested to see if it is the NPS switch on top of the gear box. The best way to test for this problem with the NPS switch is to take your vehicle for a drive, when the problem starts (with mine its in fourth gear) hold the gearstick or rather push it as hard to the left as you can whilst in gear, if the prob with accelleration goes then its the NPS switch, no need for crawling around and disconecting things. worked on mine so now all i have to do is replace the switch @ £66.00 kin pounds.
Top class bit of info Trooper about the NPS :salute:
If you get a chance would you supply the part number and location/position on top of the gearbox please. This question comes up many times on here so would be of great value to others :salute:

:cheers2: Woz

·
Registered
75 Posts
That means im screwed! Hang on,whats that knocking noise... :shock:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ello wozie baby

yeah no probs. will post part no as soon as i pick it up from dealers on friday am. easiest way to get to said item is through the top of the transmission tunnel were the gear stick comes through apparently. but will confirm all this as soon as i have replaced my NPS switch hopefully with some piccies.

the other thing i've discovered is if you rest aginst the gear lever whilst driving the the power prob caused by the NPS switch does'nt materialise, for all those who cant afford £60.00 odd quid for a new switch.

TROOP

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Thanks for that Troop :thumbright:

If you have the time, you could do a 'HOW TO' regarding the NPS and post it with your pics to help everyone with D22's along with the part number :D

If you need any other info/help with the the bearing/EGR 'mods' then just ask

Woz

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HI WOZ

thank you my friend, will prob take you up on that especially over the EGR plate? :?

and will gladly do a tech bit once i've done the NPR switch job. wont be for a week or so though due to shift patterns at work.

TROOP :cheers2:

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Trooper

You have PM mate :!:

Woz

·
Registered
06 YD25 DDTi
25 Posts
Recently acquired YD25 has 200,000 miles on it now.

What's this "mod" y'all keep mentioning & where can I get a list of parts?

Edited to add: I found this elsewhere on the forum...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts