Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Blue D22 Outlaw
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and please help!

I am looking to put all terrain tyres on my Outlaw however, as you know Nissan in their wisdom fitted 17 inch rims making tyre selection very difficult!
I am looking to increase my tyres to either 265 65/17 Bridgestone A/T revos or 265 70/17 BFG A/Ts.
These seem the most suitable however I have become somewhat confused when using the numerous 'tyre conversion programs' available on the internet as they give conflicting results.
Some state there will be a reduction in speedo reading when increasing tyre size where others say there will be an increase in speedo reading! One also states there will be an increase in fuel consumption which makes no sense to me at all :?
My speedo has been checked and is 10 percent faster than the vehicles actual speed.
I have already seen the clubs previous posted thread regarding this subject however can someone out there give me a definitive answer to which way my speedo will read when increasing tyre size and also if fuel consumption will increase?

Regards, Paul Dawson.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi paul,
I have 17" outlaw wheels on my d22 i fitted mud terrain tyres on mine from cooper the best size i could get was 245/70/17 as the 265's availiable were at risk of being too big in both cooper and bfg. I'm pleased to say that 245's fit a treat with no rubbing even on full lock and off road, and they look good too! take a look at coopers website they do a/t's as well.

good luck let us know what you get, i'd be interested if 265's go on i chickened out in the end but by my calculations it'd be very close and in my opinion not worth the risk.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry i didn't read all of your post before i was at work but now i've read it....
I went to mud terrains and have noticed no reduction or increase in fuel consumption. However the speedo now reads nearly the same as sat nav, the actual speed of the vehicle is about 3-4 mph out at 60 mph which is good if you ask me! Also noticed the gearing changed a little as in that it works a bit harder going up a long hill with a load now but nothing it can't handle. I suppose if you do a lot of towing it might make some difference?
The road noise has increased somewhat though but will probably be less with all terrains.
The road holding/grip has improved even in the wet there is less sliding about, well after some messing about with tyre pressures anyway.
Off road its a totally different story than before tons of grip and unlike with road biased tyre i still have the use of the steering and can climb out of ruts, really does make the nav quite capable.

Hope this helps mate
Craig.

·
Registered
Blue D22 Outlaw
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Craigie Boy.

I think Im going to opt for the 265 65/17 Revos, they seem most suitable.

I think there will be an decrease in speedo reading and a slight increase in economy. That make the most sense to me however I would be most grateful in anyone could confirm this!

Why did Nissan put 17" rims on the Outlaw in the first place. I cannot understand what they must have been thinking.
They have totally restricted tyre selection on this capable 4x4!

Regards, Paul Dawson.

·
Registered
41 Posts
not really paul,,

17` is becoming more and more popular so the tyre dudes are making tyres to suit,, so i reckon in about a year or two u will be able to get every pattern u want in 17

Its like a new computer,, U buy a new one and nuffin runs on it for 6 months

Cheers
Ravo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Paul Dawson said:
I think there will be an decrease in speedo reading and a slight increase in economy. That make the most sense to me however I would be most grateful in anyone could confirm this!
Although the radius is bigger therefore the distance covered is more so therefore it would make scence that the fuel consuption would fall, the incrase in gearing making the engine work harder to pull away/ climb hills evens out any gain you make. At least thats how it seemed to be in my case.
Only thing is i went from 255 down to 245 so less rolling resistance so less tyre in contact with the road equals less resistance so going the other way may make things different?
Are you sure 265/70/17 will fit? I have doubts, mine are about a half inch or so clear of rubbing on full lock and thats 245/70/17!

·
Registered
Blue D22 Outlaw
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Craigie Boy.

Ive seen a couple of D22 Navara's fitted with 265 tyres so hopefully there is enough room and things will be okay.

Regards, Paul.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts