Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're thinking about buying or have just bought a D40 Navara heres a few questions answered:

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ONLY A GUIDE TO HELP YOU

THIS INFO IS RELIVANT TO D40s MADE BETWEEN 2005 AND 2010 WITH 169,171 OR 174BHP ENGINES.

1. Try this site for loads of info on specific models: http://www.navaraownersclub.com/

2. Usually as with most makes of vehicle, the auto D40 is less economical than the manual version on average around 6mpg difference.

3. Some Navaras have an engine noise that sounds like a metallic rattle especially when cold, this is usually caused by "injector rattle" which is quite common in many diesel engines. It's usualy caused by a worn or partialy blocked injector jet. Some have found that adding fuel additives can cure this, as it unblocks the jets.
Sometimes it means the injector might need replacing, if the truck is still in warranty, this should be done free of charge, but many have found that resetting the ECU either resolves the issue, or gives a vast improvement. ECU reset: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5786
Another cause of some noise can be premature wear on the timing chain tensioner, can be sorted by Nissan as a recall, but it has to be making a noise before they'll sort it, which is a bit silly as at that stage it could fail causing untold damage :shock: Not all D40's suffer this issue though :wink:

4. If the 4wd light on the dashboard is on permanently this is usually a faulty switch or moisture in the switch.

5. Clutches, especially on very early models have been a problem for some, usually these would have been replaced under warranty, an early indication of a clutch starting to fail, would be slippage accompanied by a burning smell. By all accounts the later Navaras are fitted with an uprated clutch, flywheel and peddle box, sometimes driving style will account for premature clutch wear.

6. Autos have a Torque converter, so if you are having vibration problems 50-60mph this should be looked at, also sometimes vibration is caused by wheel problems, or propshaft U.J.'s, so don't panic thinking it's the gearbox until you've had the vehicle checked.

7. Euro 3 has better fuel economy than the Euro 4 engine.

8. There is no diff lock only limited slip diffs, Uk variant only!

9. Some D40's develop a squeak under the bonnet, this can sometimes be caused by the bonnet catch rubbing, or the rubber buffer squeaking. This can usually be simply cured by smearing a little general purpose grease on the catch and buffers.

10. NO LONGER RELEVANT

11. Most tow bars are designed to bolt straight to the existing holes in the chassis. You can also buy the plug in electrics, which are very easy to fit.

12. Navaras Sat Nav does NOT do post code searches and does not play DVD's or show reverse cameras unless modified. Update: Sept 2010 facelift 190 models do have a postcode search, and the top spece has iPod and aux connection.

13. The clutch peddle sits high, and bites quite near to the top even on a new one.

14. The brakes have a soft feel to the pedal, this is normal.

15. Navara D40 05 to end of 06 were Euro 3, start of 07 and the Euro 4 was introduced better emissions, but fuel economy not as good, then in July 07 the D40 was sort of facelifted and called (08 model) Upgrades included:

Puddle lamps and indicators built into mirrors

New style alloy wheels

Entry kick plates

New look soft touch paint to interior

"Navara" decals removed from roof bars

New colours available + plus a few other little bits and pieces, but basicly the same truck.

All the above is for U.K. Navs, so other parts of the world may differ?

16. Manufacturer warranty is 60000 miles or 3 years, whatever comes first

17. The search button at the top right of the home page is your friend.

Don't let this put you off, it is only meant as a guide for you to check out any of these problems, or possible problems. Lets face it you would rather know than go in blind and who better than members and owners to give you an honest view of the Navara!
As when buying any vehicle new or used, just take the time to test, and carry out the usual inspections

If members have any more info that i have missed i will add that also :D

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
Re: D40 Facts! (buying, bought or thinking of buying)

Stickied for you matey!

Good idea Rislar matey, So can people just post additions only to this list and not go off topic etc and turn it into a dissusions.....want to make it easy for new owners etc... to read through.

Rislar has only pointed out faults and facts about UK spec D40s, so if theres anything we need to know about european, asain Navs etc... people please post. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone got any views on the new Tekna? In comparison to the Adventura i mean. Also anyone got any tips on getting a getting a good deal on buying one from a dealer new, as in ways of getting them to lower their price? Cheers

·
Registered
200 Posts
We've got a Brand New 2010 Nissan Navara Tekna with Sat Nav Euro 4...
£17,777 outright from Harratts Nissan Wakefield except they have **** aftersales service, all the things that they put on had to be replaced/repaired so wouldnt reccomend... However they have now sold out of them!
Basically the only real differences to Tekna and Aventura is the fact that the Tekna can be specified without Sat Nav as standard or with it at a cost, giving it away for free at the moment. Thats it, still has leather etc etc, everything a aventura has.

WITH SAT NAV - TEKNA:[attachment=1:lxm6whav]interior navara.jpg[/attachment:lxm6whav]

WITHOUT SAT NAV - TEKNA: [attachment=0:lxm6whav]interior nav without sat nav.jpg[/attachment:lxm6whav]

Hope that helps,

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
motorhomer said:
Hi guys, can anyone tell me the approx weight of the new nav 190 d/cab?
thanks in advance. :salute:

Youve posted this in the wrong thread mate but the kerb weight is 2030 kg :thumbright:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it just me or does the above list seem very trivial? Not really anything serious problem wise?

Is there anything common that can go seriously wrong with the 08 D40? I have a wee family wagon just now (RAV4 GX - 2001)

But i really fancy a Navarra. My Integra would have to go aswell though!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm going to stick my neck out now.
I know this is just an opinion....
I've a 55 plate King Cab and although I appreciate how quick and reasonably comfortable it is, overall I am concerned about it's reliability.
At 60k mls of on road careful driving ( 34 + mpg !) it's had door locks, software problem, transfer box switches, replacement rear axle and it's going in today for two lower ball joints (mot advisory).
I wasn't too worried as the benefits outweigh the risks ( I might change my mind at the side of the M6 one dark rainy night.....).
The axle was a pain but the rest are niggles I suppose, but the "what's going next?" is always there....
...Front hubs @ £350 each?
What really struck home though was the reply from the guy at Milner Offroad (they've been around for ever.) when I asked him to price the joints. "I'll have to check stock - we sell hundreds of these"
So I queried how much contemporary Hilux stuff they sell?
Pause, "Errr, not a lot, just service parts ...."

I don't think the Navara is a long term vehicle, it's great for companies to buy, run three years and dispose of. I can't imagine mine being here at 100K and I sold my old truch at 230K.

When I replace it, I'll probably go for the Toyota.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: D40, a few pointers (buying, bought or thinking of buyin

Don't know if this is an old chestnut, but can't find any reference to it.... so, have seen Navara Outlaw at a site http://www.bikescarsandvans.co.uk/details_vans.php these don't look like UK advertised yet are stated to be full UK spec, is this the case are they Spanish built or are they imported from another country ?

·
Registered
343 Posts

victim said:
Don't know if this is an old chestnut, but can't find any reference to it.... so, have seen Navara Outlaw at a site http://www.bikescarsandvans.co.uk/details_vans.php these don't look like UK advertised yet are stated to be full UK spec, is this the case are they Spanish built or are they imported from another country ?
The photo's look like they're from Thailand. Never seen the bodykits fitted before. :scratch:

·
Registered
2 Posts

These are advertised at £19k for an Outlaw V6, whats the catch ?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts