Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I picked up a very cheap late 2007 Pathfinder recently. It had snapped its timing chain and I think the guy just needed it off his driveway. Pulled the engine yesterday and took the head off to survey the damage. The bottom end is fine but as expected all the valves have taken a hit to some extent. There don't appear to be many 2nd hand heads around unfortunately and by the time I've repaired the old one and refitted it I'm almost at the price of a used engine. I figure I can sell off the short block and other parts I don't need and pretty much end up with a free (or very cheap) engine.

I'll check the chains before I fit it of course but imagine I'm likely to be replacing at least the lower chain. I'll probably just fit a single row as 100,000 miles life should be plenty to take the car to end of life.

With that in mind, does anyone know the price of a lower chain from Nissan?

Also, is there a decent alternative to OE that people would trust without upgrading to Duplex?

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
13,430 Posts
I think the the Nissan lower timing chain is around £300

BGA seem a good option for timing chain kits, about £350. You do need a kit as the guides wear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm leaning towards a BGA kit. At that price for the Nissan chain I may as well do the BGA duplex upgrade it the chain's worn. I've used their gaskets before on other cars. Although in fairness I've used plenty of FAI kits too but from reading on here it appears they are not good at chains. I've located an engine which I'm going to pick up tomorrow. I'll pull the front cover off before I fit it to check the chain. It still has all its ancillaries so I think I can make the engine effectively 'free' or close to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As received onto drive...

Engine out (Should have left more room really):-

Bottom end was fine:-

The head however had not got away so lightly. Most of the valves had taken a hit. Some were so distorted they couldn't be removed. Shame as all the seats and the face of the head were fine:-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replacement lump ready to install:-

Had to make up a little sub loom. I cut a section of the loom off as I couldn't access the plugs withe the engine in the car. This meant I could connect the difficult to access ones with the engine out.

Lots of room to do the other side with the engine out:-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woohoo, she's a go'er. Started surprisingly quickly, must have been 2nd turn of the crank. I was expecting at least an extended crank as I didn't bother to prime it.

Made a nasty noise from the brake servo area initially. That went away when I connected the vacuum hose though. Had to miss something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to post a final picture:-

There are a couple of little niggles to sort (rear door doesn't open from outside and air-con has lost its gas but nothing too tricky).

Also need to replace the damaged valve guides in the old head and rebuild that engine. When I've done that it looks like the truck will end up being effectively free! Pretty happy with that for what will have been 5 or 6 (short and lazy) days work.

I like it a lot actually, think I'll keep it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts