1 - 20 of 1310 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this PM from Dave at Billcar looking for information

billcar said:
Hi,

As you might of heard or maybe its already posted there seems to be some Navara chassis problems corroding cracking/breaking, I have been in contact with Nissan & we are in need of the below information.

Reg Numbers,
chassis Numbers
Mileages
Photo’s

Maybe you could set up post, or through a pm they could email us direct.
I do understand that not everyone wishes to post the data of vehicle online.

Kind Regards Dave
Email, [email protected]
I would appreciate if the basic information is also shared here even if it is just vehicle age/mileage and some pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Although I realise he probably won't be able to do much with info from Ireland I'll send him on my details on this anyway.

I was taking to the guy who does my DOE's (MOT) when I was getting the D22 done and he says he sees loads of D40's coming in with this problem, always in the same place, passengers side, outside of the chassis leg, just behind the forward tub mounting point. Starts off as corrosion, ends in a crack, mine is just about going from the corrosion stage and will need to be plated.

They have no problem signing off a chassis like this as long as it has been properly plated along with an engineers report which they can provide.

My theory on this, poor materials used in initial construction, poor or complete lack of protection applied to the chassis after construction, and perhaps the cause of failure in this area might be it's exposed location to debris etc. thrown up by the rear wheel. Most puddles, mud, stones etc. are located in this area of roads.

On my truck the chassis is generally in good repair, this area on the drivers side is perfect, and the inside of the chassis on the passengers side where the crack is developing is in good condition.

It would be interesting to see if left hand drive trucks are having this problem on the opposite side.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Chassmash here.
Will post the details to Dave at billcar as mine has just failed the mot even though it has had some welding there now seems to be an issue where the leaf spring meets the chassis more corrosion its a 2006 and I am gutted ..............

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
The garage I use had a Nav in last week with a snapped chassis.

My truck is due it's mot in next few weeks so keeping everything crossed that things look ok

·
Premium Member
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think there is as much a chance of the Pathfinder snapping in half lile some of the Navaras have been however the rust itself is likely to be just as much an issue. Well worth getting the underseal done :nailbiting

One known issue the Pathfinder does have, is the alloy coolant pipes that run to the rear of the truck, these corrode and will cost a fortune to replace. Worth inspecting and getting some coating on. :fingersx

·
Registered
127 Posts
I cleaned all my chassis up mine was pretty rusty but nothing major and that's on a 56 plate if that helps there was no cracks or really bad corrosion

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just this last weekend been underneath my 56 plate nav. All now cleaned off and under sealed again and looked ok. Will see come mot time though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm planning on getting a full waxoyl under seal once I've had the duplex done, is that a smart move or should I be getting something else done first?

·
Registered
14 Posts
lookskyward1 said:
I received this PM from Dave at Billcar looking for information

billcar said:
Hi,

As you might of heard or maybe its already posted there seems to be some Navara chassis problems corroding cracking/breaking, I have been in contact with Nissan & we are in need of the below information.

Reg Numbers,
chassis Numbers
Mileages
Photo’s

Maybe you could set up post, or through a pm they could email us direct.
I do understand that not everyone wishes to post the data of vehicle online.

Kind Regards Dave
Email, [email protected]
I would appreciate if the basic information is also shared here even if it is just vehicle age/mileage and some pictures.
What was the response from Nissan GB on this issue ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here are some pics of my 55 plate D40 N/S rear chassis leg. The milage is 220K , never been in water, tow a caravan 2 times a year. Never overloaded, Never been off road. Owned it from new. Factory fitted Towbar.

The ratchet strap is holding the fuel tank on. The fuel tank bracket fell off due to corrosion which is how I spotted the cracked chassis.

Has anyone been in contact with Nissan GB about this growing trend in broken chassis?

I see the Spanish built Nissans from 05/06 were recalled in Australia with chassis defects. Why were the UK versions not recalled too ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Magicbeard,

Any results will be reported here, so the answer is there is no further news on the matter.

It would be appreciated if you contact Billcar with the information as requested in my previous post.

I take it you don't fancy doing a chassis swap or repair?

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK, will do.

I have been in contact with Nissan GB about this and the vehicle has been to my local dealership for a technical assessment. I am waiting on the outcome from Nissan GB before deciding what to do.

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally got a reply from Nissan GB Customer services. Their spokeswoman told me that the chassis is not considered to be an integral part of the vehicle so they would not honour the 12 year anti corrosion warranty.

So for Navara D40 owners with rusted chassis rails , your wonderful 12 year anti corrosion warranty is not worth the paper it's printed on.

My chassis is so badly rusted , the garage are unable to weld it as there is nothing left to weld too. The corrossion from the inside out has spread over most of the rear chassis rails.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nissan GB told me they were not aware of any other Navara D40 models suffering from corrosion issues in the chassis or chassis stress cracks.

I find this hard to believe as there are lots of reports on this forum and all over the internet

Has nobody contacted Nissan about this issues before or are Nissan GB lying ?

1 - 20 of 1310 Posts