Nissan-Navara.net banner

1301 - 1320 of 1331 Posts

·
Super Moderator
629 Posts
@Richmk1 There seems to be a few different types of strengthening plates available. Which did you go for?

I may do this modification myself, although I have no chassis issues right now, it would be a good standard preventative measure.

Just not sure if I would fabricate my own plates or not...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chais rust recall

So I had the letter from Nissan asking me to book my 65 plate D40 in for inspection and I'm dripping it off next week and picking up alone car. If they find a problem any idea how long they take to sort it?

The loan car is only a Qashqai which isn't going to be much help hauling logs in the woods!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nissan paid up!

Hi fellas,
After all the letters and finally my arbitrator calling Nissan, you have to offer arbitration before a small claims court hearing, a call from Nissan, yes, a person.
Much haggling on their behalf, tight buggers! I wrangled a £1000 out of them for repairing my own vehicle, steel supports on chassis and a new crossbeam, plus my time.
For all you guys who have repaired your vehicle, the door is open, they paid out once, they’ll do it again 👍🥳
Just make sure you’ve got your receipts etc.
Good hunting, feel free to tell all.
Pete 😎

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
So I had the letter from Nissan asking me to book my 65 plate D40 in for inspection and I'm dripping it off next week and picking up alone car. If they find a problem any idea how long they take to sort it?

The loan car is only a Qashqai which isn't going to be much help hauling logs in the woods!
Depends on what they find!
If its called back for underseal treatment its a few weeks to a month or 2 before they get it in, and it takes a few days.
If they find a hole, itll have to go to spain for repair! they'll take it almost straight away but it will be gone for a good few months. And if when in spain if they think its too far gone, it wont come back! So dont leave anything in or on it!
However i would think on a 65 plate unless you park it in the sea daily it will just get a blow over with the cheepest underseal they can find! After having mine done the rust spots started coming back through within 2 month so i re-sealed it myself

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
Hi fellas,
After all the letters and finally my arbitrator calling Nissan, you have to offer arbitration before a small claims court hearing, a call from Nissan, yes, a person.
Much haggling on their behalf, tight buggers! I wrangled a £1000 out of them for repairing my own vehicle, steel supports on chassis and a new crossbeam, plus my time.
For all you guys who have repaired your vehicle, the door is open, they paid out once, they’ll do it again 👍🥳
Just make sure you’ve got your receipts etc.
Good hunting, feel free to tell all.
Pete 😎
Thats very good news thanks for sharing.
Theres a place near me that supply and fit galvanised chassis for 2 grand so look at it this way nissan have met you half way!

·
Administrator
2,361 Posts

Theres a place near me that supply and fit galvanised chassis for 2 grand so look at it this way nissan have met you half way!

I’m always wary of galvanised chassis. Galvanising, like paint, is only effective if it remains unbroken. Like paint, it’s easy to break. I think it lulls people into a false sense of security that they don’t need to bother with the usual corrosion protection steps.

·
Administrator
12,315 Posts
Have you got details? It would be very useful to have that information as part of the forum.

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
Have you got details? It would be very useful to have that information as part of the forum.
Its thorntons breakers in halifax !
They were members on here a while ago but haven't been here for a while

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Its thorntons breakers in halifax !
They were members on here a while ago but haven't been here for a while
Just to be straight with people these are not new chassis ,they are taken off breakers and then dipped . I wonder how much care goes into the internal inspection which is where the issues come from.Lets be blunt whats the point in galvanising on top of corrosion it is purely a cosmetic excersise that does nothing for the inherent safety. If it was a new chassis im sure it would be at least 4k ,or Nissan would be doing it . Sorry as great as it sounds I would never trust a patched up plated chassis they are a ticking time bomb they will eventually snap around the new welds. As far as im aware there are no new chassis available for the navara D40 as the stock have been used up ages ago,and there wont be anymore produced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Afternoon all.

My D40 has had an inspection and failed :mad:. Apparently its off to Spain on holiday, my local dealer says. It failed due to rusting out (both chassis rails just infront of the rear wheels).
Has anybody had / seen the spanish repair?
And surely it wont solve all the internal rusting in the rest of the chassis that mus be occurring?
Wasn't it spanish workmanship and materials that caused the problem in the first place?
Can I push for nissan to scrap it, just not sure I trust the repair to last ....... or is that the idea just get it clear of the corrosion warranty?
Many Thanks

·
Registered
2009 D40
31 Posts
This thread seems to have went cold, maybe its the weather 🥶. I have read through the thread, I have to confess I skipped few pages.... I recenty bought a 2009 with a dent in every corner but a full years MOT. After advice from this forum I contacted Nissan and they have advised that they do not have any record of mine being back for a check so I have to contact them to get it booked in. I will post again when I get any result, this post (and forum) has helped me so the least I can do is help to keep the thread up to date,,,
ps.. having a blast driving this thing in the snow 😂

·
Registered
2009 D40
31 Posts
So, after a prompt from Posdosh, my 2009 is booked in to the local dealer.... in October 2020:oops:

They are going to give me a Micra for the 4 days so Im looking forward to that 😂 The lady on the phone said that they can only do one per week so the earliest date was October....

·
Registered
28 Posts
So, after a prompt from Posdosh, my 2009 is booked in to the local dealer.... in October 2020:oops:

They are going to give me a Micra for the 4 days so Im looking forward to that 😂 The lady on the phone said that they can only do one per week so the earliest date was October....
So there are 30-odd in the queue ahead of you?? Where in Scotland are you? I'm from Dumfries and got booked into Carlisle in a week (last week). Result: dirty great holes in the chassis, waiting to hear from Nissan. 11-reg, 123,000 miles.

·
Registered
2009 D40
31 Posts
Im in Strathaven, nearest dealer East Kilbride.... may look for another dealer. Mines 2009 with 150k, area at filler neck looks ok but loads of underseal on it so don't know whats underneath. I doubt there so many in front of me but they just dont want to lose a mechanic (or apprentice) for the 3 or 4 days.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Im in Strathaven, nearest dealer East Kilbride.... may look for another dealer. Mines 2009 with 150k, area at filler neck looks ok but loads of underseal on it so don't know whats underneath. I doubt there so many in front of me but they just dont want to lose a mechanic (or apprentice) for the 3 or 4 days.
Im not sure what you have asked about the initial survey should be a lot quicker . They normally do that check and then book you in for the treatment if the chassis is sound enough. As the post above shows thats not a given even with a younger vehicle.

·
Registered
2009 D40
31 Posts
Poshdosh, I sent the following message to them;

" I have a 2009 Nissan Navara and would like to know if it has had the chassic check / inspection done and was the chassis painted if it has been carried out. Could you advise pleaseVin No - "

They then asked for the reg no and said......

"I thank you for your reply,having checked our system i see the chassis recall is still outstanding,i will now pass your details on to our Nissan Service/warranty team who will be in touch with you to organise the recall to be carried out "

Then they phoned me and booked me in?

·
Registered
28 Posts
No it won't.
Why not??

I've just been offered £6025 for my 11-reg, with 127k on the clock and a very generous helping of dents, scratches, etc. I'm inclined to accept, but then what?

I really like the D40, this is my third one, and would like to replace with a newer one but who's to say it won't just rust out like this one has? How many folk have replaced with another D40? I don't really want to go for the new model.

·
Administrator
12,315 Posts
I sold an 06 with 200k on the clock in 2014 and went for a V6. No signs of any corrosion, but at some stage it will need replacing.
Like you, not sure about my next vehicle, but I doubt if it will be an NP300.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So, did Nissan change the manufacturing technique for the D40 chassis at some point? It's just that I'd prefer to swap for a newer D40 but if it's just going to rust out again I might go down the Hilux route!

·
Administrator
12,315 Posts
As far as we know they improved the quality of the steel, we don't know any more than that.
Saying that, a properly undersealed truck will last a long time. I think on this thread it is mentioned that Isuzu underseal all trucks as they come to the UK for example.

1301 - 1320 of 1331 Posts