Nissan-Navara.net banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
bobsabuilder said:
Mother said:
Well tried to loosen off those x2 14mm bolts with my **** britool socket set after applying some supercrack 15 minutes earlier and it wasnt having none of it.....so went to my pals and used his snap on gear and they were just gonna snap......so its off to my local garage tomorrow to get some heat on them and try again. :(
14mm :?

Used a 12mm socket on mine!

lol....defo 14mm. :shock:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ah.....mines a euro 3....must have changed them for the 4. :)

[quote="Statey"
For this reason i used a 14mm 6 Point socket rather than a multi fitment, and this did job nicely.

18012012418 by StateyD40, on Flickr
[/quote]

·
Registered
619 Posts
09dan89 said:
Do you have to blank of both sides of the EGR pipe?
no just the one side-egr side and youre done :thumbleft:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and awaiting delivery of my new Navara after my 06 plate died last year. I've heard of the egr blanking mod before but never known what the benefits are? By reading this I'm assuming its something to do with fuel consumption?

Am I also right in thinking that my new truck will be a euro 5? If so is the mod required.....?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sharrison14 said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum and awaiting delivery of my new Navara after my 06 plate died last year. I've heard of the egr blanking mod before but never known what the benefits are? By reading this I'm assuming its something to do with fuel consumption?

Am I also right in thinking that my new truck will be a euro 5? If so is the mod required.....?

Thanks for any help.
Not sure about the Euro 5 motor, but the guy i bought my blank off plate sells one for a Navara euro 5 Y25 only.....not sure what a Y25 is.....someone on here should be able suss this out for you. :)

heres zee link....... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-VALVE-bla ... 19d77a42ae

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
12mm on a euro 4 and easy peasy to take off,Was a little more difficult to refit as the top bolt wouldn't let me turn it 3 threads by hand for several tries. Be careful when refitting it as it threads into a Aluminium casing and would be easy to cross thread. If your doing one give me a pm and I will send you a gasket as i bought 2, I reused the original on the active side of the blank and a pattern one on the other side so I still have one and they are peanuts to buy.I will post it to you

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mother said:
Ah.....mines a euro 3....must have changed them for the 4. :)

[quote="Statey"
For this reason i used a 14mm 6 Point socket rather than a multi fitment, and this did job nicely.

18012012418 by StateyD40, on Flickr
[/quote]

Did mine last night, the bolts were stupid tight and I had to get an Irwin bolt grip on the lower bolt to get it out :shock:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Would anyone be so kind to let me know the measurement for round gasket I would need for the blanking plate on a Euro 4 as I can make a gasket whilst I am offshore?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I took my EGR valve off yesterday and cleaned it all up. It was very gummed up which is probably what was causing the EGR engine fault light. I cleaned everything best I could with carb cleaner including the pipe from the valve into the intake.
This is how it looked when I removed it:

So if you haven't done so already get yours cleaned up and blanked off!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The scary thing is the previous owner said he had the truck for a year and the only repair work he had done was to clean the EGR valve so what I cleaned out was only from the last 18 moths!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
NigelTheNavara said:
The scary thing is the previous owner said he had the truck for a year and the only repair work he had done was to clean the EGR valve so what I cleaned out was only from the last 18 moths!!
blocked it and youre done..ive blocked mine since 20.000 km and now i have 70.000 km..this is only a benefit, stopping this **** blocking my intake manifold..also block the oil breather from going into your intercooler pipes and finally into your intake manifold, these 2 things (egr& oil breather) makes your intake manifold into a gummy thing :pale: :adminfinger

·
Registered
160 Posts
Do you need to fit a blanking plate on both sides?
I have put one on the drivers side but the fault code came back, guessing I'll need to get the egr valve cleaned up to keep the light off. Is accessing the valve straight forward enough and will carbon cleaner do?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
The one blank is enough.

The EGR valve is held on by 4 bolts and two coolant hoses, the bolts are easy but the hoses are really awkward to get off so just leave them on and clean the valve hanging on them.

Almost any solvent will clean the valve from paraffin to diesel and brake cleaner. It will be a messy job.

If cleaning the valve does not allow the fault code to be cleared after a reset you may have to pay out for a new valve £££££ :jawdrop

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
I haven't fitted a bland to my truck yet, Euro3 D40, but did blank my D22 and pretty much every other vehicle I had, but I have a few questions.

I'm not questioning the benefits of blanking it, or the experience of people here, or the results, I'm all in favor of it, but just wondering, a mechanic whom I'd have reckoned to know his stuff, particularly about Nav's and was all in favor of blanking a D22 didn't recommend it for the D40, he said it caused back pressure in the turbo and could cause problems. Anyone heard of, or experienced this???

Any connection between the EGR blank and the expanding turbo pipe???

Is it best to do both of these mods together???

Like I say, I'm not questioning anyone here so please don't take it as such, just a question. If the guy I mentioned hadn't said anything about it I wouldn't have even bothered asking!!!

Personally I can't see anything but benefits for blanking, just wondering what others thought!!!

Last question, I know access is better on the intake manifold side and it's an easier mod, but is it better to blank it on the exhaust side to prevent the **** even getting to the EGR???

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
There are a lot of guys and girls that have been on here and fitted the normal EGR blank and we have had no reports of mechanical problems as a result. There have been some that reckoned their low speed fuel consumption has suffered. Most report better acceleration pick-up.

The expanding turbo pipe happens anyway and obviously has been designed in by Nissan.

I have actually removed my EGR pipe completely and have it blanked at the manifold. It's a really awkward job to get at the nuts on the flange at the exhaust manifold.

This modification redresses the low speed fuel consumption loss. together with the normal blank, you'll be completely isolating the EGR valve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there any advise on how to blank off the v9x egr?
is a ECU remap necessary to stop the engine light coming on?
and is it fine to just put a blanking plate at the intake/throttle side or is it necessary to put a plate on the exhaust side?

61 - 80 of 90 Posts