Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, picked up my 2009 d40 a couple of weeks ago and all has been great. She has only done a couple of hundred miles in the last 18 months with its old owner.

Noticed a belty sort of noise that is always present. I gave each attachment on the belt a quick squirt of wd but it hasnt gone.

Anyone know how I can shoot this problem down?

Link to youtube vid of noise below..

D40 noise

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi mate I have the exact same noise , the garage removed the belts and the noise stopped so they started with the alternator and noise is back now so they are thinking it's one if the pulley bearings mate am just waiting before I stick it back in tbh

·
Registered
23 Posts
Personally I have no idea mate maybe someone else could elaborate on what's required to do that iam just getting a garage to do just to be safe

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes it is. The bearings can replaced in the pulley for a few £s. As above, worth removing the belt to see if the noise goes away.
Better to remove the drive belts and check the tensioner bearing for free play the bearing come with the pulleys the can be pricey tha aux tensioner is between 80 and 140 quid depending if it’s genuine or aftermarket if the bearing are ok better to replace the belts there only £12 for a belt set from Milner 4x4

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Better to remove the drive belts and check the tensioner bearing for free play the bearing come with the pulleys the can be pricey tha aux tensioner is between 80 and 140 quid depending if it’s genuine or aftermarket if the bearing are ok better to replace the belts there only £12 for a belt set from Milner 4x4
Good advice.

Actually on the pulleys, you can buy them complete with bearings, quite expensive, however it is a simple job to knock the bearings out of the pulley and put new ones in. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Good advice.

Actually on the pulleys, you can buy them complete with bearings, quite expensive, however it is a simple job to knock the bearings out of the pulley and put new ones in. Much cheaper.
One of my mates got the bearing separate thing it was a skf one from bearing services only lasted 10k and failed again,

·
Registered
236 Posts
One of my mates got the bearing separate thing it was a skf one from bearing services only lasted 10k and failed again,
When you press the bearings into the nylon pullies there an issue with bearing failure at a low mileage possible the bearings run out of alignment, You don’t seem to get the problem with the D22 with the steel drive pullies. The why on the D40 you better to replace the pulley with bearing attached.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Would these be the ones to get?

Yes, the alternator one is different you need a splined socket to remove it it’s L.H thread it can be replaced with the alternator in situ on normal drive it turns anti clockwise there a few good videos on YouTube on drive pulley replacement for the d40 cheers.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
When you press the bearings into the nylon pullies there an issue with bearing failure at a low mileage possible the bearings run out of alignment, You don’t seem to get the problem with the D22 with the steel drive pullies. The why on the D40 you better to replace the pulley with bearing attached.
When |i replaced the pulley bearing on my old 2006 model the pulleys were steel.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When |i replaced the pulley bearing on my old 2006 model the pulleys were steel.
I think replacing the bearing separately works better with the steel pullies Bearing King do stainless steel bearings which are harder wearing and last longer. I think they changed to nylon pullies as a cheaper option, The v belt on my old merc is the same design of belt as the d40 with steel pullies and they don’t have any issues.

·
Registered
Navara d40 2011
122 Posts
Hi all, picked up my 2009 d40 a couple of weeks ago and all has been great. She has only done a couple of hundred miles in the last 18 months with its old owner.

Noticed a belty sort of noise that is always present. I gave each attachment on the belt a quick squirt of wd but it hasnt gone.

Anyone know how I can shoot this problem down?

Link to youtube vid of noise below..

D40 noise
I’ve got a similar sort of noise buts it’s only on for about 1 minute or until the engine gets slightly warmer . Are belts ok to spray with wd40 then ? Never had to do this before . Might even just get a set of belts from the reccomendation on this page .if that’s even the problem it could maybe be the same as everyone else issue with the bearings pulleys etc . I’ll have to keep them in the watch list lol Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
I’ve got a similar sort of noise buts it’s only on for about 1 minute or until the engine gets slightly warmer . Are belts ok to spray with wd40 then ? Never had to do this before . Might even just get a set of belts from the reccomendation on this page .if that’s even the problem it could maybe be the same as everyone else issue with the bearings pulleys etc . I’ll have to keep them in the watch list lol Thanks
Yes you can spray them with WD, Some people say you can pour water on them and if the noise goes away it’s belts, It’s a cheap repair to replace the belts and you can check the pulley bearings for wear when you’ve got the belts off. On my D22 I had to adjust the power steering belt a lot you got squealing on hard steering lock.

·
Registered
Navara d40 2011
122 Posts
Yes you can spray them with WD, Some people say you can pour water on them and if the noise goes away it’s belts, It’s a cheap repair to replace the belts and you can check the pulley bearings for wear when you’ve got the belts off. On my D22 I had to adjust the power steering belt a lot you got squealing on hard steering lock.
. My mechincs was meant to check the belts but they had a sick call and that part of the checks got missed . Was so annoying . Still meant to go back in to get the diff oils and transfer box changed . Will probably save it for them if I’m honest rather then spraying it but that’s interesting to know though . Thanks a lot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I replaced the power steering tensioner pulley, the fan belt pulley and I've still got the noise. The noise still happens with the powrr steering belt off so it must be on the aux side. The noise is more prevalent if I listen on the left hand side of the fan body (not the alternator side) what else could it be?? The belt looks in good order but I guess I could try replacing it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts