Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i have a 2009 Navara diesel auto and it is currently having boost issues. When i need boost, sometimes i get it and some times i dont. It is difficult especially when trying to get some power going up hill and it drives slugglish. Boost i get is around 5-10psi, even when flooring the pedal. Might be times where i get 18psi when on lower gear at low speeds. I have replaced a new Boost control Solenoid (BCS), replaced all the hoses on the BCS, cleaned out the MAF, and reset the ECU. However, still drives sluggish and boost doesnt seem right.

There are no issues with the car. Starts and runs, no smoke, doesnt limp.

Ive tested the new BCS with a 12v battery and it makes clicking sounds so i assume it works.

The actuator arm does move but when i start the car, the turbo actuator arm does not move up or down at idle. When i turn off the car, I can see the turbo actuator move back down. When i pull out the hose from the turbo actuator and suck on it, the actuator does move.

Anything else i should be checking for?

Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi,

i have a 2009 Navara diesel auto and it is currently having boost issues. When i need boost, sometimes i get it and some times i dont. It is difficult especially when trying to get some power going up hill and it drives slugglish. Boost i get is around 5-10psi, even when flooring the pedal. Might be times where i get 18psi when on lower gear at low speeds. I have replaced a new Boost control Solenoid (BCS), replaced all the hoses on the BCS, cleaned out the MAF, and reset the ECU. However, still drives sluggish and boost doesnt seem right.

There are no issues with the car. Starts and runs, no smoke, doesnt limp.

Ive tested the new BCS with a 12v battery and it makes clicking sounds so i assume it works.

The actuator arm does move but when i start the car, the turbo actuator arm does not move up or down at idle. When i turn off the car, I can see the turbo actuator move back down. When i pull out the hose from the turbo actuator and suck on it, the actuator does move.

Anything else i should be checking for?

Thanks
I would recheck the waste gate make sure the actuator rod is returning properly some times it sticks and the waste gate port stays open slightly preventing max/ boost, Give the lever a good spray with WD I use extended long nose pointed pliers with a right angle on the end to operate the lever manually and make sure the rod is going fully back to the stop position, I take it you have carried out a visual check on the turbo with the intake hose of to make sure the impeller spins freely and there no excess lift on the shaft.

·
Administrator
13,103 Posts
The actuator must go up and down at idle for it to work properly.

One way to test is to suck on the hose, you should quite easily be able to see it it move.

·
Registered
236 Posts

One way to test is to suck on the hose, you should quite easily be able to see it it move.
The proper way to test a waste gate is with a vacuum pump or with a good quality diagnostic tester which will operate the waste from actuations and measure the travel and record actual values and compare the settings with the vehicle parameters,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have tried sucking on the hose and the actuator does go up and down. It just doesn't go up and down when at idle.
The new boost solenoid i bought does work as i have tested it with a 12v battery. Maybe its the ECU not telling it to work properly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recheck the waste gate make sure the actuator rod is returning properly some times it sticks and the waste gate port stays open slightly preventing max/ boost, Give the lever a good spray with WD I use extended long nose pointed pliers with a right angle on the end to operate the lever manually and make sure the rod is going fully back to the stop position, I take it you have carried out a visual check on the turbo with the intake hose of to make sure the impeller spins freely and there no excess lift on the shaft.
The actuator doesnt get stuck as it can move.

I have not yet checked the turbo with the intake off. I will have a look later tonight to check the impeller.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have tried sucking on the hose and the actuator does go up and down. It just doesn't go up and down when at idle.
The new boost solenoid i bought does work as i have tested it with a 12v battery. Maybe its the ECU not telling it to work properly?
It’s not ideal trying to suck the hose , you can start the engine and connect the vacuum hose direct from the vacuum pump and check the waste gate actuator that way, Watch you don’t get the vacuum pipes mixed up better to mark them, If you had a problem with the ecu it would flag up a fault code, Normally you would carry out a visual check on your turbo first.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It’s not ideal trying to suck the hose , you can start the engine and connect the vacuum hose direct from the vacuum pump and check the waste gate actuator that way, Watch you don’t get the vacuum pipes mixed up better to mark them, If you had a problem with the ecu it would flag up a fault code, Normally you would carry out a visual check on your turbo first.
It doesn’t matter to much what your waste gate doing at idle you should have negative boost at idle, The turbo only starts to boost under load, When sufficient pressure is applied to the waste gate diaphragm the spring pressure is overcome and the waste gate opens at max/ boost. Hope this makes sense, Cheers.

·
Administrator
13,103 Posts
You aren't quite right here. The D40 doesnt have a waste gate. The turbo actuator actually moves the variable vanes in the turbo, adjusting the boost, the vacuum is controlled by the ECU.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You aren't quite right here. The D40 doesnt have a waste gate. The turbo actuator actually moves the variable vanes in the turbo, adjusting the boost, the vacuum is controlled by the ECU.
Still classed as a waste gate prevents over boosting,

·
Administrator
13,103 Posts
Agreed it is a sophisticated version of a waste gate. It is just that it doesn't work by opening when the pressure overcomes the spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I replace my turbo boost solenoid with a new one nissan oem part. The actuator goes up at idle and stays there is this correct or is something wrong.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi I replace my turbo boost solenoid with a new one nissan oem part. The actuator goes up at idle and stays there is this correct or is something wrong.
Could be the control ring in the turbo sticking with carbon build up which moves the turbo vanes, The actuator normally moves up and down at idle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts