Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so got a new turbo put on my 2009 D40 last thursday and it has no power at all, feels like it’s not hitting boost, do you have to setup the turbo actuator at all? wondering if that’s what would be causing it. was done by a mechanic and won’t be able to take it back til next week. just wanting to try find out beforehand. cheers

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
No setup required. Very easy to put the pipes on the wrong outlets on the boost control solenoid though.

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just went and had a look at that rod on idle, doesn’t move at all. so could be the boost solenoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so if i were to clean then solenoid with carby cleaner, would i need to let the solenoid dry out before using ?

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
I would check the pipes are in the right place first.

Probably a good idea to wait 10 minutes to let it dry off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alrighty no worries, i’ll have a look. cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they all seem to be in the right spot, i disconnected the hose running to the top of the actuator and tried sucking on it, very hard to suck but it moves slightly. drove my car to work and it feels like the performance has improved. wonder if the actuator is stuck? it’s an aftermarket turbo, not genuine

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
It should move about 5mm when you suck on the pipe, I don't think you have to suck that hard to do it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It should move about 5mm when you suck on the pipe, I don't think you have to suck that hard to do it.
hm right, not sure what’s going on with it. must be stuck or something. went to drive home from work and it’s lost it’s power again.

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
If you try putting the vac hose directly on the turbo that will tell you if the turbo is good, it should go on full boost.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and do you mean bypassing the solenoid and going straight to the actuator?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe it's the hose coming from over the top of the rocker cover from the vacuum pump under the plastic engine cover also check this isn't split or blocked common problem, split where plastic engine cover rubs against hose, blocked on metal vacuum pipe gallery where it tees in with the brake servo to vacuum pump metal pipe under the inlet manifold best to get to it under wheel arch with wheel and inner wheel arch cover removed also check for vacuum hose splits in that area

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just been on youtube watching a video about how to check if boost solenoid is faulty, followed their steps and the pipe isn’t pressurising. here’s the video,

·
Super Moderator
1,164 Posts
You won't be able to fix it. You may get it working for a certain while, but if it's faulty, you will have to buy a new one.

It's a completely sealed unit, and spraying anything inside the vacuum holes does almost nothing because it can only make it into a space which is occupied by nothing other than a rod and a rubber diaphragm. This section is crimped shut. The solenoid section cannot be reached at all without cutting the unit open.

They just give up, out of the blue, for apparently no reason.

I've got a spare on the shelf, unused. I end up fitting very expensive German units to my trucks, because all others don't impress me, I can feel the lack of smooth control over the turbo.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright no worries, i’ll just get a new one and see how it goes, cheers mate

1 - 20 of 79 Posts