Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

I would be interested in opinions from D40 owners on it's offroad capabilities.

The Search and Rescue Team I am a member of is considering a departure from a 'lifetime' of Landrovers. This debate has lasted a long time over many committee and sub-committee meetings but we are at last looking to purchase between now and March 2007.

I know what the D22 can do shod in BF AT's and also the L200 (apologies)
but not the D40.
Local dealers won't consider letting us have a vehicle for an offroad test :(

Any opinions would be welcome.

Cheers

Mick

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
The problem i have when off roading is

A: If you have a rear towbar, you need to un bolt it as there is rather alot of rear overhang, on one off road trip i bent the light socket up badly.
B: Dont have the factory fitted Reversing sensors, as they will fall off at the first sign of Going through Water :(

I always take off the side steps before i go offroading .

After that, its brilliant :)

After i changed the Standard road tyres too the BF ATs, it hasnt got stuck anywhere :)

It depends on how extreme the off road course is ?

A Navara will never be able to go over high inclines or Maasive secents with anoth incline at the end of the decent.
Its no Landrover

But how many Landrovers can cruise at 85 on a motorway with cruise control on ?

Looking at your D22 pics, the rear on a D22 dosent have as much overhang as a D40 ?

We need to have a off road trip to see what the difference is ?

Sounds like a 1st EVENT :)

I off road tested the Demo one i had - Just dont tell the dealers :lol:

I did take off the side steps first though and was very carful.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Brian, very useful.
The BF ATs certainly make a difference. We have mud terrains on the Landy however the Navara can outperform the V8 on occassions mainly due to the fact that the V8 doesn't have the low down torque required for some situations.

Thanks again

Mick

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ducktape,

how many are you looking to purchace?
i bet if you contacted Nissan directly they would lend you a D40 to test.
as for the off road capabilitys if you need them to cope with big ups and downs on a daily basis they will need modifying, and would defo benafit with a lift. i was talking to a chap the other day who claims the D22 was better off road, due to the fact the fly wheel has been lightened so he is always changing gear in the D40.
you can still purchase a D22 in basic form.

keep us informed of what you all do

·
Registered
221 Posts
Its pretty much like what brian said
I upgraded the suspension now i get an extra 1 1/2" clearance which helps alot with ground clearance.
"4X4 Magazine Australia" just voted it (D40) ute of the year and were very impressed with its off road capabilities.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jayk said:
Ducktape,

how many are you looking to purchace?
i bet if you contacted Nissan directly they would lend you a D40 to test.
as for the off road capabilitys if you need them to cope with big ups and downs on a daily basis they will need modifying, and would defo benafit with a lift. i was talking to a chap the other day who claims the D22 was better off road, due to the fact the fly wheel has been lightened so he is always changing gear in the D40.
you can still purchase a D22 in basic form.

keep us informed of what you all do
Hi Jayk

It's only the one vehicle we need to support two landys and an LDV comms vehicle.
We are looking for a basic spec vehicle which will need around £8000 worth of mods done to it. With a budget of £35000 at the moment we have £27000 for the vehicle.
Looking at the gear we need to carry the King Cab with the longer load area is looking a better bet.
As far as the test drive is concerned, we haven't contacted Nissan direct but I think the plan is to get our PR person to do so.

Do you know how long Nissan intend to continue producing the D22?

Cheers

Mick

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
navara-au said:
I upgraded the suspension now i get an extra 1 1/2" clearance which helps alot with ground clearance.
"4X4 Magazine Australia" just voted it (D40) ute of the year and were very impressed with its off road capabilities.
Hi Navar-au

Is it possible to provide a link to this article or scan and upload it.

Cheers

Mick

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ducktape said:
navara-au said:
Hi Navar-au

Is it possible to provide a link to this article or scan and upload it.

Cheers

Mick
hi mick
Give me a minute and i will try

What after market stuff were you wanting? I'm not aware of what is available in the U.K. But there is a fair bit strarting to come on the market here

Damn! the scanner won't do a good enough job.
Its a very good artical comparing 6 makes in both V6 and diesel including hilux and the new L200. They were tested by 6 different jurno's and they didnt hold back. Some great pics as well.

Because it is the latest edition the story isnt on the web site yet.
I will post a link you may be able to get them to send you some info.
http://www.carpoint.com.au/Tig/Minisite ... au&id=6098

P.S. Try that. That is the last page if it works i will do the rest later

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Wow i havent seen pics like that over here before Navara Au :)

Not even myself have gone down slopes that steep !

Thanks for the scan :) Its great to see how tha Navara is doing in other countries :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Brian,

are you still going for a lift? Daventry is not far from me so i might pop in and have a look. i have not even gone off road in mine yet but i like the look of the xxl lift 8)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the link Navara-au...works well.

Hi Ezzer most of us are around the Newcastle / Hexham area.

We do come across to Lancashire for MRC meetings held at Lancaster University and to bring the Bell MR stretchers to be serviced at Peter Bells.
If you can wangle it I will pass on Garys details to Bradley our vehicle officer who will be able to arrange things from our end.

Many thanks

Mick

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Jayk said:
Brian,

are you still going for a lift? Daventry is not far from me so i might pop in and have a look. i have not even gone off road in mine yet but i like the look of the xxl lift 8)
Im thinking about the 2 inch Suspension lift, but am concered about the handling though.
As i do motor at a fair pace ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
you have been speaking to LA Autos in daventry, have you asked them about the adverse effects?
i do a lot of miles as well so really do not want to compromise the drive, but like the look when they are jacked up!!

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Jayk said:
you have been speaking to LA Autos in daventry, have you asked them about the adverse effects?
i do a lot of miles as well so really do not want to compromise the drive, but like the look when they are jacked up!!
yep me also :lol:

I havent asked them about the effects, no.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ducktape said:
Thanks for the link Navara-au...works well.

Hi Ezzer most of us are around the Newcastle / Hexham area.

We do come across to Lancashire for MRC meetings held at Lancaster University and to bring the Bell MR stretchers to be serviced at Peter Bells.
If you can wangle it I will pass on Garys details to Bradley our vehicle officer who will be able to arrange things from our end.

Many thanks

Mick
Hi Mick,

I spoke to Gary, he says he can supply a demonstrator no problems - either let me have Bradley's details, or ask him to call Gary on 0870 444 2166 if he wants to go for it.

Hope that helps mate.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Ezz

I will pass on the details to Bradley.
The AGM is this wednesday with a vehicle sub committee meeting straight after, so I guess he will get in contact after that.

Thanks again

Mick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.