Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me why the UK spec D40 double cab towing capacity was reduced to 2,600 kg compared with the earlier D22? I know the loadbed payload has been increased slightly but also the kerb weight is quite a lot heavier. I could not justify the European spec (3 ton towing) because its under a 1 ton payload and therefore is considered a private vehicle and not commerical. Accountant told me that the buisness would have to pay £ 5,000 tax (regardless of new or second-hand!!).

Having test driven the D40 for a couple of miles I was really impressed with the comfort, and performance etc.. BUT 99% of the time is spent towing a 16ft trailer around the country so for this reason use an Isuzu Rodeo Denver.....I know BOO....HISS....!!

When the D40 was first released we tried to get the towing capacity uprated to 3 ton but Nissan's homologation department were not interested and I guess were more after capturing the leisure market than the commerical users. The Isuzu Rodeo was initially 2.5 ton towing but after much contact with various Isuzu departments we managed to help push them into uprating it to 3 ton.

I reckon the D40 would make a great towing vehicle especially with comfort and cruse control (miles infront of the current Rodeo in this respect) but from what I hear the build quality does need improving.

Only problems I have had with Rodeo after 73,000 miles have been a fan belt broke randomly @ 50,000 and the front right-hand brake caliper locking on (but think this may have been dealer related!). I'm still on the original tyres and reckon may get another 10,000 miles wear!! Fuel economy: 29 mpg approx on round trip (not bad considering running at around 5.5 ton train weight!!). Have had 38 mpg without the trailer.

Is there any UK restriction on kerb weight, payload, and towing capacity? If so why can a Land Rover Defender 110 pickup tow 3,500kg?

Cheers.
Nav1

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Theres a member on here who has had the weight upgraded, he has installed upgraded rear suspension so that 3 tonnes can be towed and all above board also.

Im sure he will reply very soon

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi Nav 1

My D40 has been upgraded and certified to tow over 3 tonne! My aviator shows the size of trailer I tow (3.5 tonne) however, the load is distributed with 0.5 tonne load on the 5th wheel hitch in the back and the rest is pulled.

Please take note my d40 tows via a fifth wheel Superglide hitch bolted into the back of the pick-up and not by a conventional tow ball! I’m not sure if the increase of towing capacity is only subject to this type of trailer hitch?

My D40 was professionally modified and certified to tow over 3000Kg I am not exactly sure of the exact spec at the moments but I do know my D22 had the same modifications and the VIN plate specified 5.5 tonne max towing capacity. I will try to find out from my contact at Fifth Wheel Co tomorrow about max capacities on my D40 (I’m currently in West Africa so I can’t check my D40’s VIN Plate).

What I can tell you is that to increase the towing capacity above 2600Kg all that was fitted was air suspension to the rear of the truck that can be adjusted between 0 and 5 bar. This, I have been reliably informed, was with the agreement of Nissan. Homologation Dept

John

Sorry I can’t give you exact details at the moment but I will endeavour to get some information tomorrow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Brian and John for your replies.

Must admit I had looked at the Fifth Wheel website a couple of years ago. Although I think its better quality than some of its fifth wheel competitiors I came to the conclusion that perhaps there's only a limited market for both the pickup (with modifications) and the trailer when trying to sell it on again. Therefore resulting in a lower residual value. I've only ever seen two units on the road! Also, with this special fifth wheel setup, if your pickup breaks down your pretty much in the hands of the dealer to get it repaired asap whereas with a standard tow ball hitch vehicle replacement should be no problem.

John, I'm still interested to learn more about the Fifth wheel specs etc.. and what pickup modifications were required.

Many thanks
Nav1

·
Registered
363 Posts
nissan nav1 said:

John, I'm still interested to learn more about the Fifth wheel specs etc.. and what pickup modifications were required.

Many thanks
Nav1
Nav1

Sorry for delay, but you know how caravan dealers are, once you buy their product they tend to put you on the back-burner if there is no money in it for them! I'm currently in Africa and our phone lines are a bit erratic. I have e-mailed them for details and currently waiting for a reply. I don’t really think I will get the reply today, hopefully tomorrow.

Regarding breakdowns, I have an agreement with other fifth wheel owners that we will come to each others rescue in case of tug problems and whilst abroad, Fifth Wheel will assist in repatriation of the trailer? (Truck can come back via AA or other forms of breakdown cover (Caravan clubs - Red Pennant insurance for instance)

·
Registered
566 Posts
John,
I guess that your trailer must have air brakes then to comply with UK towing regulations? Are they run of a compressor on the Navara or self contained in the trailer?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Dunc said:
John,
I guess that your trailer must have air brakes then to comply with UK towing regulations? Are they run of a compressor on the Navara or self contained in the trailer?
Correct Dunc,

The air compressor is mounted on the Navara with a volume tank/ receiver mounted under the Navara, there is a second receiver mounted under the double axel of the trailer as well.

The volume tank mounted on Navara supplies the trucks air suspension and control air for the trailer air brakes and the volume tank under the trailer supplies the feed for the air brakes and the self levelling suspension on the trailer. The air brakes servos on the trailer are also electrically connected to the Navara ABS electronic system therefore enabling ABS on the trailer.

The braking system is quite incredible! When the brake pedal is depressed gently the nose of the Navara’s dips slightly as she takes the weight however, if I depress the pedal slightly more the trailer air brakes kick in and the opposite happens, the nose of the Navara starts to rise slightly as the trailer actually starts pulling the truck back. I really dare not try the ABS system in fear of doing damage to the contents of the Caravan. I have only once jammed the brakes on when I misjudged a roundabout and the whole rig stopped dead, it was quite an unnerving experience.

But I just love it when I realise the brake pedal and the air is dumped from the circuit. A nice big Whoosh! Makes me feel like a real trucker. 10-4 good buddy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here in Australia the towing capacity is 3000kgs, i believe the vehicles are identical to the ones in the UK, i have just completed a 15000km towing trip from Melbourne to Cairns Nth Queensland and return towing a 2.6tonne caravan, only problem i had was the rear springs are not strong enough and i have upgraded the suspension to heavier springs and also raised front and rear 40mm.The Navara weighs in at 2.6t loaded with extra fuel, supplies, steel bullbar and fibreglass canopy.
D40 2.5 deisel 6 speed manual.
John

·
Registered
363 Posts
jeklm said:
Here in Australia the towing capacity is 3000kgs, i believe the vehicles are identical to the ones in the UK, i have just completed a 15000km towing trip from Melbourne to Cairns Nth Queensland and return towing a 2.6tonne caravan, only problem i had was the rear springs are not strong enough and i have upgraded the suspension to heavier springs and also raised front and rear 40mm.The Navara weighs in at 2.6t loaded with extra fuel, supplies, steel bullbar and fibreglass canopy.
D40 2.5 deisel 6 speed manual.
John
Hi John

I find it strange the towing capacity on the UK D40 is only rated at 2600Kg and in Australia its 3000Kg? I would have thought the Chassis would be almost identical, I read on the Frontier forum the D40 chassis is now based on the Nissan Titans underpinnings?

Are the Australian D40's built in Japan or in Spain as are the European version?

Maybes the difference is something to do with European Economic Community type approval for use over here, The EEC tend to mess with type approvals for all sorts of stuff, such as the length of a sausages and diameter of plumbs etc, Apparently the EEC is now looking into giving type approval specifying the length and girth of Human turds! It’s called "standardization" and is aimed at reducing European methane emissions and therefore saving the world by preventing Global warming!!! :wink:

·
Registered
566 Posts
jpd said:
Dunc said:
10-4 good buddy!
For sure, for sure!!

Thanks for the explanation, sounds like a heck of a setup.

I once had to do an emergency stop on a single track road in my Range Rover with a twin axle trailer on the back with a prep'd 90 on the top c/w spare set of wheels, tools, various spares etc. I'm sure it stopped a lot quicker than it would have without the trailer... the dynamic shift of the trailer CoG really helped the Rangie brakes..

The look on the drivers face comingh towards me was a classic!! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
The D40 is identical to the UK and is made in Spain, you get more variety of models and options, here they bring in the STX and DX dual cabs only, DX is a base model and the STX is our topline model, air con, power windows and mirrors,6stack cd, cruise control are a few of the standard features, mine is the 2.5d and 6 speed, I have just sold my 2006 STX with 35000kms and have bought the identical model and i am in the process of putting the options on it for outback towing, first thing is a snorkel, with the air intake under the front wing, if you are doing long distance driving on dirt roads the air filter needs cleaning every week, also have done some deep river crossings, 2nd is the suspension, Kings Springs do a H/D front and rear spring kit raised 40mm for $610 trade price, by only raising it 40mm you can keep the original shocks, i have kept my driving lights from the previous car, with 55w globes they have a range of 1km,i have just had the windows tinted to the max to keep out the heat, 3000kg nissan towbar has been fitted, next is the trailer brake controller and power for the caravan, we normally free camp if we can while we are travelling so everything has to be set up well.
An interesting feature over here is that the Navara 2.5 has about 10% more power than its big brother the Nissan Patrol 3.0lt
John

·
Registered
363 Posts
nissan nav1 said:

Many thanks
Nav1
OK Nissan Nav1, some information for you on my modified Aventurer:

The GTW is now 6500kgs and towing is 4500kgs

The Air suspension upgrade is to the fifth Wheel Company specifications and all work is carried out by them.

All vehicle test work is carried out by an independent third party test
centre, whom then issue the new VIN plate

The upgrade on the vehicle is only for fifth wheel purposes and not for tow bar.

Fifth Wheel has a letter of "no objection" from Nissan after there inspection of the work however they are going through the process of being a Nissan approved converter.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Guys, I have read elsewhere in these forums that the Aus version is only rated to carry 800kg as opposed to the Uk which is rated to carry 1098kg so there must be some difference in the setup.

This may be the reason for the towing weight differences.

G

·
Dont th Oz ones come with no bed? Thats the imporession I got from the yank forums. Therefore, the towing capacity could be higher (less weight in total) - but carrying weight was reduced so that people didnt overload the chassis?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Guy, no the Australian ones come with a bed and look exactly like ours except they get a choice of 4.0ltr petrol or 2.5ltr diesel plus an option of 4x2 on one of the models.

It must be something to do with the chassis/suspension setup.

http://www.nissan.com.au/navaradual06/s ... ations.asp

4x2 ST-X Petrol 4x4 RX Petrol 4x4 RX Diesel 4x4 ST-X Petrol 4x4 ST-X Diesel

Weights
Tare weight (kg) man/auto 1860/1870 1920/1930 1965/1975 1940/1950 1985/1995
GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass)* (kg) 2805 2805 2805 2805 2805
Carrying capacity (kg) man/auto 945/935 885/875 840/830 865/855 820/810

Rated towing capacity **
Trailer with brakes (kg) 2000 3000 3000 3000 3000

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
John, thanks for that info on the Fifth wheel setup. Wow.. the towing spec is quite an increase isn't it! Impressive I must say. What does it cost to upgrade your pick up and any ideas what a suitable fifth wheel flatbed trailer would cost? Isn't it just too expensive to justify?

One thing that could put a spanner in the works for a commercial user is that if the trailer has an unladen weight over something like 1,100 kg or a gross weight over 3,500 kg then the operator must have a registered operators licence for their premises where the vehicle / trailer combination is used from. Don't quote me on this one but it is along these lines because we asked a special transport solicitor firm to look into the situation.
We were also told that a double cab pick up was classified as a dual purpose vehicle if the kerb weight was under 2,040 kg. Legally, in this situation an operators licence would not be applicable but would be for say a Navara where the kerb weight is somewhere around 2,200 kg.
So from what I am told these commercial users using for example a Land Rover Discovery or Range Rover pulling a trailer are breaking the law if they haven't got an operators licenece. This is on top of having a tachograph fitted in the vehicle!!

If this is the case, those that do enquire about the legislation from Vosa are not only faced with the difficulty of obtaining relavent info but also a minefield of complicated laws which the government is just trying to catch otherwise law abiding commercial users out.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The cost of full conversion of the truck is around £4k. This cost includes full air suspension, installation of compressor, control systems for the trailers air breaks and suspension systems, and finally the Superglide 5th wheel hitch (this alone costs about $3K).

I know Fifth wheel make quite a few types of trailer including horse boxes, mobile workshops and shop trailers such as mobile snack bars etc but I’m not sure about flat bed trailers but, knowing the fifth wheel company, I think they probably will “if the price is right”! http://www.fifthwheelco.co.uk/

My wife and I have been scheming on a long term plan! This is basically to bugger of and live in our trailer for several months a year, during the winter months at least, and set camp in Spain, Italy or maybes the South of France or wherever takes our fancy? I’m and ex-pat and currently work 6 months a year out of the UK (Africa at the moment, Mexico next year) so therefore if we live on the continent for more than 3 months out of the 6 months I’m on leave then I become tax exempt in the UK. As I’m paying 40% income tax on the larger portion of my salary, I think you may agree, this is my “justification at the expense”?

http://www.fifthwheelco.co.uk/

G

·
can you remove the fith wheel attachement thingy so you can use the bed?

Im interested in converting mine (for when I do my hgv licence...)

·
Registered
363 Posts
guydewdney said:
can you remove the fith wheel attachement thingy so you can use the bed?

Im interested in converting mine (for when I do my hgv licence...)
Yes it does! To remove the unit 4 x 1/4 securing bolts are withdrawn from the chassis stems and it lifts out. Takes about 5 min to remove the bolts, the unit weighs around 100Kg so you may need assistance to lift it out!

The picture below shows the chassis stem poking through the base of the bed and securing bolt holding it place. The 4 x chassis stems however can not be removed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts