Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in April/May this year, I noticed that my Navara was leaking Oil. There was also the smell of Diesel fumes when sat at idle. One of the injectors had let go and it required a fair bit of work to get the injector out due to carbon build up. There has been a bit of oil residue since then which I assumed was just left over. Following a recent service the Oil leak has become a bit more prominent but it's almost impossible without stripping the engine down to see where it's coming from.

It is running from the very back of the engine down around the bell housing. My initial though is that one of the Head gasket seals has become stiff and brittle from the injector letting go and Diesel has gotten down there!? I am really reluctant to have the Head Gasket looked at as I'm not even sure this is what it is and for cost, and potential issues in the future. I guess I have two questions:
  • Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
  • I have considered using an oil additive to the engine to see if softening up the seals would help. Does anyone have any recommendations which one to use?
Thank in advance.

·
Super Moderator
181 Posts
I wouldn't be worrying about head gaskets, none of that gives me any reason to be suspicious of them. Injector failure can't cause head gasket failure.

It's far more likely that a rocker cover seal has been refitted incorrectly and is allowing oil to leak down the rear of the block/head. There's not a lot of room back there so it's easy to dislodge one slightly when refitting the rocker cover.

·
Administrator
13,627 Posts
I assume it is engine oil not diesel that is leaking?

I do remember somebody did have a V6 with a small oil leak on one of the turbo hoses, totally inaccessible unfortunately unless the gearbox or engine are removed. Hopefully it is just a cam cover gasket as above.

I would suggest getting one of those borescope attachments for your phone and having a look around to see where the oil might be leaking from.

Don't bother with the oil additive.

A few other posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume it is engine oil not diesel that is leaking?

I do remember somebody did have a V6 with a small oil leak on one of the turbo hoses, totally inaccessible unfortunately unless the gearbox or engine are removed. Hopefully it is just a cam cover gasket as above.

I would suggest getting one of those borescope attachments for your phone and having a look around to see where the oil might be leaking from.

Don't bother with the oil additive.

A few other posts

Yes it Oil. Diesel and Injector issues have been sorted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts