Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to pick up a ding in a car park the other day - very small but enough to annoy me.

its behind the rear doors which is a tricky place to get inside to push out, I'm led to believe. Had 3 companies give me a no, just due to how fiddly it is for them. A very good garage quoted me £150-£200 for a fill/spray repair which seems reasonable but just don't want to spend that money.

Before I do anything daft, does anyone know how hard it actually is to pop our the rear trim and get inside?

Otherwise I'll just live with it. The inner perfectionist sometimes is a little too strong tho:rolleyes:

Automotive tire Wheel Hood Synthetic rubber Tire

·
Administrator
16,482 Posts
Pretty sure it is all double skinned there.

I've got one of those dent removal kits where you glue a pad on and pull it.

Something like this for not a lot of money.

I've had some success, but it doesn't always work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure it is all double skinned there.

I've got one of those dent removal kits where you glue a pad on and pull it.

Something like this for not a lot of money.

I've had some success, but it doesn't always work.
Ah cheers - thanks for the link!

I've bought it, will give it a shot and see. Looks like a few have had similar dents and got them out, can take a few goes apparently.

If successful I'll post a few pics, might help some others sometime!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty happy with the outcome, all things considered!

Tricky one to pop out. The bodywork is extremely tough at that point and doesn't ''pop'' like a door dent can. Even more so as due to all the metal curves into the door surround and behind the cab, there is a lot of stress so its a little unpredictable.

Even so, I gave it 3 goes, and then spent quite a long time gently hammering it out, as I had to pull the bodywork around the dent out further than needed to get rid of the dent edge.

I tried my hardest to show the worst view with this pic, but surprisingly very hard! It is seeable when you really look for it in the sunlight but if you didn't it was there you wouldn't.

All in all, definitely worth it. Not flawless, but if the dent is only visible by me then I guess that's pretty good going!

Vehicle Sky Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
5,001 Posts
I'm impressed! Didn't think such a small crease would pull without deforming the surrounding panel!
Might have to look into getting myself one as I've a few trolley dings around my truck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
it was close! The panel did get pulled out a little, but I spent probably about an hour feeling and tapping it back. Its not 100% perfect, and there's very very slight deformation but unless you run your hand down or really try and catch the light there's no way you can ever tell.

Tried again to get a pic but the camera won't pick it out, so I presume thats a good sign😂

I'd give it a shot. Apart from anything, highly satisfying👌 FYI used this one here.

On another note, dechroming is now underway😎Next job is to sort my alignment after a enthusiastic off roading trip😇 and address my ongoing issue of a slightlyyy off centre steering wheel.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking smart.

I think some decent repair uses a hot air gun to eliminate the stretch. Not tried it myself, I guess there are hundreds of YouTube videos....
Interesting, I have heard of that. Might do some research, but internally debating how much of my life to give to the issue😂might proceed in ignorance of that knowledge and save my OCD!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Managed to pick up a ding in a car park the other day - very small but enough to annoy me.

its behind the rear doors which is a tricky place to get inside to push out, I'm led to believe. Had 3 companies give me a no, just due to how fiddly it is for them. A very good garage quoted me £150-£200 for a fill/spray repair which seems reasonable but just don't want to spend that money.

Before I do anything daft, does anyone know how hard it actually is to pop our the rear trim and get inside?

Otherwise I'll just live with it. The inner perfectionist sometimes is a little too strong tho:rolleyes:

View attachment 66222
They won’t be pulling that for this price, it will be filled and sprayed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts