Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I know the name Des Marples has made more than a few appearances on this forum, but I can't find any posts after 2012 and since I have just been defrauded by these two, I wanted to share my story with everyone in the hope that I can save any more suckers from making the same massive mistake I have.

My X-Trail 2.2 Dci engine threw a conrod at the beginning of May this year, so I went online to find someone who could rebuild it. After looking at quite a few companies, I settled on a firm advertising on eBay called West Yorkshire Engine Repair Centre, quote: "We could save you Hundreds of pounds on the repair of your 4x4 by our experienced team of engineers qualified to the highest standards. All our work comes with a 12 months Warranty." I contacted the number in the ad and spoke to Des Marples himself, explained my predicament and was told, no problem, we can fix your engine, make it better than new, in fact. He sounded very knowledgable and extremely plausible and his price for rebuilding my engine was very reasonable, £950 plus the cost of having the engine uplifted by his couriers.

So I paid my mechanic £500 to remove the engine and shrink wrap it on a palette and the lump was duly uplifted w/c 12th May and delivered to West Yorkshire Engines Repair Centre in Bradford (I live in Scotland) and on Monday 19th May I received the following email from Des Marples using Nathan Marples email address, "Hi Peter, I hope all is well, your engine is almost complete and we want to get it back to the garage for fitting. we found nothing to cause concern with your engine i can tell you have looked after the car. Please can you settle your outstanding bill of £950.00 via bank transfer to the below account details. All the best Des." Very impressed with the speed of turnaround, I transferred the money into his account. For the next 3 or 4 weeks, I repeatedly called the guy and was given one excuse after another as to why the engine hadn't been returned until eventually, he stopped taking my calls or returning my texts and emails. I had checked West Yorkshire Engines Repair Centre online before giving him the job, but nothing untoward came up. Now that I was getting very suspicious and concerned that I might be being conned, I did a search under the name Des Marples and, to my dismay, came across the reams and reams of negative stories on this site.

I've reported Mr Marples and West Yorkshire Engine Repair Centre to the West Yorkshire Police, Trading Standards, Action Fraud and have also asked eBay to close his account and take his advertisements down (he is still advertising there as of this morning!!) but it's looking very unlikely that I'll see my engine or my £950 again. Not forgetting the £80 odd pounds I paid the courier company and the £500 I've paid my mechanic to remove the engine and the fact that my car is sitting forlornly in his garage, engineless, fit for nothing but the breakers yard. And the fact that I've been carless since the beginning of May.

So a word to the wise: if you're looking for an engine rebuilder, please check this forum out first as there are plenty of reputable companies out there. But do me and yourself a favour: don't touch either Des or Nathan Marples or West Yorkshire Engine Repair Centre with a bargepole.

·
Premium Member
23,585 Posts
I truly hope you get some justice and the right result in this matter, these people have caused upset and misery to so many people for so long, and it appears they are still doing so now? :(

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Someone needs to stop this guy before he goe's any further, i hope you do get justice for whats happend mate but remember, its not just him that screws folk over with their trucks, they all need their just deserts. :wink:

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
That's a total bummer, it hardly seems right that tosser is still ripping people off after all this time.
Bilcar engineering are really cheap after all, they can actually fix people's engines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your support, guys. No they are still at it. They advertise regularly on eBay, and still have live ads on there, even though I have reported them.

Wish I'd seen your forum before I gave them my business. I did a Google search for West Yorkshire Engine Repair Centre and came up with nothing bad. It was only when I searched under Des Marples that all the bad stuff came up on this forum, but by then it was too late.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'd be paying a visit to his yard and collecting MY engine and recovering my money!

Hope you get justice! Please keep us updated with any outcome.

All the best.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Jamez79 said:
I'd be paying a visit to his yard and collecting MY engine and recovering my money!

Hope you get justice! Please keep us updated with any outcome.

All the best.
The engine is probably stripped and parts from it used to build someone else's engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unbelievable! I just received an email from eBay asking me if I am still looking for someone to rebuild my Nissan engine and recommending West Yorkshire Engine Repair Centre. This after I have reported those (expletive deleted) fraudsters twice to eBay for theft of my engine and money!

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's absolutely shocking that these sort of people can continue to rip people off. I believe in "what goes around, comes around" May be no benefit to you, but hopefully he'll "get his" soon enough.

Genuinely hope you manage to get things sorted out.

All the best.

·
Super Moderator
4,599 Posts
My advice regarding des marpels is avoid like the plague!
Ive personally had no dealing with him but ive heard enough to know id rather trust my nuts to a pack of hungry rats than trust him with my truck!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.