Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sitting here, listening to some carp about planes - and the english narrator is going "this plane does 450 kilometers per hour at 50 metres from the ground blah blah"

wtf is 450 kmh in real money? why do they insist on doing this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i agree mate, i'm from the old school where things are in english like miles per hour...think of the poor souls in australia where everything is in km's...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Come on guys get with the times, your worse than the yanks.
Metric has been in Australia since 1966 and even the old farts (please edit fart if it is offensive...i dont know you could use bottom burp...but it wouldn't be the same) use metric its so much easier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
navara-au said:
Come on guys get with the times, your worse than the yanks.
Metric has been in Australia since 1966 and even the old farts (please edit fart if it is offensive...i dont know you could use bottom burp...but it wouldn't be the same) use metric its so much easier.
its what the majority of peeps have grown up with...mph and gallons for our fuel, so when someone says 8 miles per litre ,it dont make sense..our kids are now taught metres etc in school now but it still baffles me when my 10 year old comes home and says 'dad your 3 odd metres tall' when i know i'm 6 foot....

·
Registered
279 Posts
when i first got my nav it showed klm to litre it really freaked me out and took a while to figure out how to change it. if i remember correctly brian had the same issue.
please leave as they are i like being different. :lol:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well I'm 41 and went through school learning metric, but when I did my apprenticeship (plumber) some of the older tradesmen persisted in staying with the grandad measurements so i learnt both.

Honestly metric is so much easier you should at least try to be literate in both.........by the way 6' is 180 cm or 1800mm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
normalbloke said:
"'dad your 3 odd metres tall' when i know i'm 6 foot..."

You may want to go and have a word with her teacher.....

see that just proves a point ,i really dont about this metric stuff.. :roll:

·
Registered
279 Posts
i tell you what Scary, it is going to come and get us at some point :shock:
any how 1800mm shounds bigger that 180cm :lol:
12cm = 12inches right :? 8) :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my boy said that metric is good cos everything is in 'tens' like in 'ten fingers'....i said that in the old days everyone had twelve fingers cos of 12 inches in a foot.... :shock:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a degree in mechanical engineering - and Im 33. I understand metric measurements quite well - I just find 300kmh difficult to visualise - much like the rest of the population (as we all abide by mph speed rules, and all signs are in miles).

So - when a programme is being narrated by an Englishman - for the english population - why dont they convert the measurements to 'English' measurements - fine, when they get an ozzie to drawl over it ;) they should be in kmh - as thats what you 'understand'

Its not a knowledge thing, its a 'feeling' or sensation of xmph feels like - I just have to translate that into kmh.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i agree with you completely guy..but more and more tv programs give you this metric stuff and like you say its hard to get your head round it..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Actually before i joined this forum I thought it was metric in the UK and USA were the only ones on the planet still using olden day measurements....do you still measure in cubits???? :D

You guys will just have to readapt....it took about 20 years for the stubborn to give up on imperial here.

Oh i was just giving 6" as an example for the male appendage challenged (does that make sence :? ....should i just say blokes with small willies :lol: )

·
Registered
45 Posts
metric is just treason. betraying OUR history . governments selling us down the river. in britain we want miles pints inches pints feet pints yards pints did i say pints i like pints who's with me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

·
Registered
257 Posts
An easy way to convert Kph to mph is divide by 8 and multiply by 5.

It's pretty accurate. :wink:

·
Registered
976 Posts
metric is just so much easier. exspecally $$$ wise. bugger the "so many whatsits in a pound", its just to hard to keep track of. metric is a lot closer to the technical lables that science uses. mayby one day we will be explaining the weather in Kelvin ;)

funny thing is tho that imperial is still often used unoffically. simply because some stuff is easier to say eg 4x2 instead of 100x50 and we still have a lot of old machinery that uses non-metric sizes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.