Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, really need some help. I've just purchased my first Navara and already got an issue.

Firstly I have just swapped out the boost solenoid as the truck was down on power and puffing black smoke, read a few bits on forums and I believed this to be the issue. Turned out to be the lines were on incorrectly, it now picks up a little better but it's still not 100% and loses power at full throttle.

Aswell as that there is also a horrible screeching noise that comes and goes, sounds like metal scratching glass and is coming from the turbo/exhaust area. This has only started since swapping the boost solenoid and having the lines on correctly, could it be a bad gasket?

The egr has been removed and there's some questionable homemade plates going on so I'm hoping it could be that, I'll make up some proper ones this weekend and try that but was hoping people could shine some light on other issues

cheers in advance

·
Administrator
14,715 Posts
First check is the turbo. Take off the intake pipe and feel the play on the vanes. Try to move that fin around in and out or up and down and see if it moves at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked the turbo today and it all seems good, very little play in the shaft. Seems to have a leak on the exhaust manifold so I've ordered a new gasket.

·
Administrator
14,715 Posts
That would cause the problem. From what I have heard the exhaust manifold studs and nuts can sieze up, so it might be worth ordering a few just in case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh lovely! Cheers for the heads up man. Well as long as none of them snap I'll be happy. It'll be next Tuesday when the gasket gets here so I'll drop an update in when it's been fitted.

·
Administrator
14,715 Posts
When I had a head gasket done one of the studs did snap, not sure if was on the head or the turbo to cat.

Not what you wanted to hear, but you need to be prepared or know somebody who can help if you run out of tools.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I had a head gasket done one of the studs did snap, not sure if was on the head or the turbo to cat.

Not what you wanted to hear, but you need to be prepared or know somebody who can help if you run out of tools.
Yeh not what I wanted to hear at all but it's always good to have a heads up

See if you can start soaking the bolts now cant hurt as they say nothing ventured nothing gained lol
I'll get some WD40 blathered on there and pray to God they don't snap 😂

Cheers for the advice guys, much appreciated

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Yeh not what I wanted to hear at all but it's always good to have a heads up

I'll get some WD40 blathered on there and pray to God they don't snap 😂

Cheers for the advice guys, much appreciated
WD40
For those that don't know, WD40 is NOT a penetrating fluid.
WD stands for Water Displacement, and the 40 stands for formulation number 40, this is the final fomula of ingredients after much experimentation, it is manufactured to protect metallic surfaces.
There are better penetrating fluids available, just because it is 'wet' doesn't mean it's penetrating.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WD40
For those that don't know, WD40 is NOT a penetrating fluid.
WD stands for Water Displacement, and the 40 stands for formulation number 40, this is the final fomula of ingredients after much experimentation, it is manufactured to protect metallic surfaces.
There are better penetrating fluids available, just because it is 'wet' doesn't mean it's penetrating.

Good to know! Cheers mate I'll get something else

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've finally managed to get the manifold gasket replaced and the noise is now gone! 👏 Still having power loss issues though, mainly when travelling over 30mph when warm, before that it seems to be operating quite well

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Little update.

I did a fault code read using the pedal magic and dash light and got 3 fault codes.
Overboosting
Brake circuit
Maf

Cleared codes and tried again still having the black smoke and lack of power, normally around 35mph upwards.

Have cleaned the MAF tonight and took for a spin and still lacking in power almost like it's
hitting an invisible cushion.

I've ordered a fuel filter which should be here in the next few days praying that this solves the issue, it's getting annoying now 😩

·
Administrator
14,715 Posts
There have been a few in here who have had blocked cats or dpfs.
Not saying that is the problem, but it can cause overboosting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There have been a few in here who have had blocked cats or dpfs.
Not saying that is the problem, but it can cause overboosting.
Yeh I did see on a couple of posts people had issues with a blocked cat, I was contemplating doing a decat so I might just do it sooner rather than later if there's still no change after the fuel filter change

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I've now replaced the fuel filter, boost solenoid, maf and manifold gasket but the problem is still here.
Anything else I should be looking at before I look at gutting the cat?

·
Administrator
14,715 Posts
Check that the actuator on the turbo is pulsing at idle. Also make sure the actuator is reasonably free to move, sucking on the pipe should move it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just tested the actuator and when running removed the pipe and saw the actuator arm drop, when re applied it raised back up but did not pulse as mentioned above.

It's had a brand new boost solenoid and I have just checked all the vaccum hoses, any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been told by someone to remove the SCV, clean and turn 180 and potentially replace. Would this be a causing the problem at all?

·
Administrator
14,715 Posts
Possibly, but your problem appears to be linked to the boost control. If it isn't pulsing at idle, it is not working.

Can you check the vac hoses again. Only if you are 100% certain they are on the right connectors is it worth looking elsewhere.
Apologies if I have said it before (200 times), but they are very easy to get wrong. As marked on the BCS

Vac - to vacuum pump on the engine
ATM to the air filter
Out to turbo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts