Nissan-Navara.net banner

381 - 400 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
A week ago I posted a picture of my daughters portuguese water dog and unfortunately had the task of burying her a few hours ago. She was the most lovable and friendly dog but hyperactive at times.

She would have been 5 years old in a couple of months and when she was 18 months old, skewered herself on a wooden stake doing one of her crazy runs. She was very lucky to pull through. Not so lucky this evening.

She ran out our front gate and straight in front of a car. We are going on holidays tomorrow and the dog comes with us and she seemed pretty wound up when I got home, probably sensing we were going.

Half the reason we are going back to this spot is because it is on a river and the dog loved to swim. It is going to feel strange and especially hard on my daughter.

It is a bugger having animals.

·
Premium Member
2008 Nissan Navara Aventura / BMW 650i / Saab 93 TTid
516 Posts
Really very sorry to hear the sad news, Joe. It's bad enough losing pet at any time of old age or natural causes, but under these circumstances it must be awful.

Such poor timing too, as you're are about to embark on a family holiday.

No doubt the loss of Shelby will be felt for some time. I hope you, your family and your daughter particularly can remember her in happier times.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Still greatly missing our girl, we decided to get back on board with another dog. She is only 4 weeks old at the moment with another 4 weeks to wait, she will be a welcome distraction.

A little Murray River Retriever.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Still greatly missing our girl, we decided to get back on board with another dog. She is only 4 weeks old at the moment with another 4 weeks to wait, she will be a welcome distraction.

A little Murray River Retriever.
Hello Joe

Can imagine you are all still reeling, but it's good to hear that you decided to have another.

Clearly the new pup will never replace Shelby but might ease the pain of her loss.

Coincidentally, we, as a family, decided that Denby needed a companion, so having searched avidly for several weeks, we found a new-born litter of Border Collies in Nottingham and drove up there to view yesterday morning.

Meet Arnold!

Six weeks, three days old and ready for collection on 28 April. We can't wait.

So, what do you plan calling your new addition, Joe, and will you be frequenting the same holiday spot as before?

Cheers

Scott

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello Joe

Can imagine you are all still reeling, but it's good to hear that you decided to have another.

Clearly the new pup will never replace Shelby but might ease the pain of her loss.

Coincidentally, we, as a family, decided that Denby needed a companion, so having searched avidly for several weeks, we found a new-born litter of Border Collies in Nottingham and drove up there to view yesterday morning.

Meet Arnold!

Six weeks, three days old and ready for collection on 28 April. We can't wait.

So, what do you plan calling your new addition, Joe, and will you be frequenting the same holiday spot as before?

Cheers

Scott
Hi Scott,
Arnold is gorgeous and now the task to get things ready for the new arrival :smile2:. I bet the family is counting down. Very happy for you guys and you must have been stoked finding the little fellow.

Our new girls name is Bailee, not Bailey apparently. Only my daughter knows why.

We have again booked the same holiday spot for next year but will see how my daughter feels about it as we can always cancel with plenty of notice. Will probably try to get to a beach spot over the Christamas (summer) holidays as the Murray's love water as well.

I look forward to photos of Arnold's arrival.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Glad to hear you are all remaining positive Joe, and thank you for your kind wishes.

It was this time last year we got Denby who is very much still a puppy to us, but it has only just dawned on us the demand that nearly new-borns have so we're going to have go right back to basics all over again, including training.

Fortunately, I made the garden fully secure and replaced both mine and the wife's cars last year to cater for dogs (partly why I got the Nav), so we are already pretty prepped and most of the time and expense has already been invested. Aside from additional insurance, food, inoculations and the inevitable sterilisation-by-gelding-irons I'm fairly confident that we've covered all angles.

Once again, well done for embarking on dog ownership - I'm sure that Bailee will be a perfect addition and will help to heal the void that Shelby left.

I will, of course, update the thread when we bring Arnold home. You must do the same too!

Cheers

Scott

Reactions: joe2006

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not looking forward to the training either Scott and it is also the little things they pick up on the way. Shelby was not too keen on the height of the tailgate and unexpectedly jumped into my arms one day when I was going to pick her up. Thereafter I would hold out my arms a little below waist height and she would jump into them for her lift up. Admittedly sometimes one of us would lack a bit of coordination. She never got taught that but instead taught me.

It's nice that Denby and Arnold will have each other for company so will always have companionship.

Thank you for your kind wishes as well.

These guys give to us unconditionally.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Hi Scott,
Looking forward to the update on Arnold.
Is he home yet, is he home yet? :grin2:
Hello Joe

He is indeed! We brought Arnold home yesterday and he is settling in well. A lovely little pup with heaps of character.

Denby seems to be accepting him well too, given Arnold is encroaching on his turf and clearly there is going to be only one winner in the p***ing contest...

We got Denby at 12 weeks, where as Arnold is only 8 weeks so there is a distinct difference in behaviour and what we were used to first time round.

Furthermore, Denby was from working stock, where as Arnold has been bread as a pet so again there are clear differences.

So far so good though. Despite a puddle on the kitchen floor yesterday evening and the odd bit of bob here and there in the conservatory, he seems to be pretty well toilet trained already and managed to go through the entire night without any mishaps.

Only slight issue we have is the sharing of toys - something Denby doesn't seem to be too keen on. We also think Arnold thinks Denby is his mother and trust to nestle in which I think is driving him in sane, but I'm sure the more time they spend together and as they grow it will all work out just fine.

Denby is big for a Border Collie and I can't see Arnold being anywhere near his size, particularly having met the mother (and her daughter).

Beautiful dogs though so we're very, very proud.

Here's some snaps - he seems to sleep a lot!

Actually, Photobucket seems to be playing up so give me a few minutes for a reboot and I'll upload them shortly. (Note Photobucket still playing up so I've uploaded the old fashioned way...).

When do you collect Bailee? She must be six weeks now, so presumably another fortnight to go?

Thanks for asking after Arnold, Joe.

All the best

Scott

Attachments

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
His name is Rusti
From our own breeding litter
That's a beautiful Pup you have there, Oz. What breed is he and what did the litter come from?

Do you own both the bitch and sire and how many do you have in total now?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Scott,

The little tacker sure is a cutie and is sure to keep you on your toes. Your children must have been excited.
Seeing as you didn't mention, I'm guessing he must not have cried much the first night? Maybe it's due to the company of Denby? It's good to hear that that they get along o.k and as Denby is only young, he and Arnold will grow up together.

We have a couple of weeks to wait for Bailee. I think pick up will be on 13th May which coincidentally would have been Shelby's 5th birthday.

Good luck on the training and I look forward to the updates.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Staffordshire dogs

I own the mother she had the litter when she was 3 years old.
Difficult labour and my little guy was the first one and delivered naturally.

The next one got stuck and needed Caesarian, not uncommon with this breed
Coz of their big heads.

Paid for the sire, he had a lovely personality and right color and size.

My dog looks like a pup but he is nearly 4 years old in that photo
Weighs 15 kgs (that's like 35 lbs for u poms;)

Smaller red Staffordshire Terriers are the best personalities,
And are not aggressive to other dogs

Photo of parents, mother on left

Regards
OZ

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Dogs

Ronnie is my trustee old staff, by my side wherever, Barney is my choc lab drug detection dog, definitely my best pals.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Hi Scott,

The little tacker sure is a cutie and is sure to keep you on your toes. Your children must have been excited.
Seeing as you didn't mention, I'm guessing he must not have cried much the first night? Maybe it's due to the company of Denby? It's good to hear that that they get along o.k and as Denby is only young, he and Arnold will grow up together.

We have a couple of weeks to wait for Bailee. I think pick up will be on 13th May which coincidentally would have been Shelby's 5th birthday.

Good luck on the training and I look forward to the updates.
Hey Joe

Well, 48 hours in and it's as if Arnold has been part of our home for yonks. He has had the odd pine and yelp during the last two nights, but that's been about it.

We've segregated the two dogs at night. My wife is sleeping on the day bed in my office downstairs with Arnold, and I'm in the conservatory with Denby on the sofa bed.

Seems that now I own two dogs, I've got to live like one...

We'll put them together at night after a week of settling in has passed, and after that, we'll leave them alone and I'll have the comfort of my own bed and the wife's kisses to look forward to rather than the pooches'!

Arnold is growing in confidence and Denby is warming all the more. It's hilarious watching them both with toys. Each dog seems to want what the other one has, and if you take one away, then it's a game of stealth as one tries to steal it away from the other. Despite a few growls and grumbles from Denby, he is sticking to his good nature and hasn't snapped. Arnold on the otherhand is relentless and doesn't seem to be put off or disuaded by Denby trying to stamp out his authority.

They are amazing animals with huge character. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about introducing them both but it's been better than expected. Further, and as hoped, the younger pup is wearing out the older and keeping him occupied, which is one of the main reasons why we decided to have another.

Went for a long walk along the coast with Denby today, having driven over in the Nav to check out our static caravan at Snettisham now that the season has opened. Suffice to say that the caravan is in perfect order having been shut up for six months and Denby went into the sea (and lake) for the first time ever, having been a total blouse about coming into contact with water previously. And he calls himself a double-hard Collie?!

Had to film it as I couldn't believe it so will upload to YouTube and post some links.

I'll keep you updated with Arnold's progress. Likewise you must let us know when Baylee arrives home.

Cheers Joe!

Scott

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Scott,
Great to hear that Denby and Arnold have taken control of the household and don't even know it. Like with kids, life will never be the same :grin2:

Love hearing about their escapades and looking forward to the YouTube link.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Hi Scott,
Great to hear that Denby and Arnold have taken control of the household and don't even know it. Like with kids, life will never be the same :grin2:

Love hearing about their escapades and looking forward to the YouTube link.
Quick update, Joe

Four days in and despite Denby's continued annoyance with the new pup, tonight they fully engaged with each other and had their first play fight. Denby clearly had the size advantage and pinned Arnold to the floor most of the time but was really gentle and both tails were wagging frantically.

On the subject of engaging and perhaps a tad worrying is that at only eight weeks, Arnold has started dry-humping anything in sight! Eight weeks?!

I know his Dad was a bit of a legend and has sired 75 litters with various lady bitches, but honestly...

The sooner he has his cash & prizes whipped off the better!

381 - 400 of 408 Posts