Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I thought I should let you know about an issue I've just had with my Navara in case anyone else has the same problem.

I have a June 2020 N-guard with the later engine and a manual gearbox. I have only done 3000 miles in it so far, mainly due to lockdown however quite a few of the miles have been long trips, usually at high speed so it gets a good blow out every now and again.

I was driving up the A1 on Friday when suddenly it lost power and struggled to go over 70. The green start stop light also started flashing on the dash. I was only a few miles from where I needed to be so I carried on. I turned the engine off and restarted it hoping that it would reset but the stop start light still flashed and now the engine (orange) light was on.

I drove home slowly and called out the RAC. He diagnosed a blocked DPF. He tried to do initiate a regen but it would do as it also said the oil quality was poor, due to the amount of times it had attempted to to a regen. The DPF light was now on, on the dash.

So I took it into Nissan that afternoon. Their initial response was that the blocked DPF was because I hadn't used it much and I would clean it but I'd have to pay for the oil and filter.... I firmly pointed out to them that I wouldn't be paying for anything :mad:.

I got the truck back today, apparently there is a service bulletin from Nissan to update the DPF software as there is an issue meaning that it the regen cycle is not completing properly which means it is clogging up the DPF. I am not sure if this bulletin is just for the newer engine type.

So they have installed the new software, done an regen and done an oil change, all FOC as expected !

All good in the end, and the dealer did fit my car in at short notice so apart from having to drive around in an electric Leaf :eek::eek: for the weekend I am happy.

·
Registered
2019 Tekna
103 Posts
Hi Lambo, when you say the "later engine" how would I know if my late 2019 has the later engine? I suspect not as I dont have stop start? The Nav is my 4th car in the last 10 yrs with a DPF, never had a problem so far (touch wood). My normal pre covid daily commute was 7 miles on mostly A roads, so 50 mph mostly. Good to see Nissan sorted, albeit with a bit of persuasion!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lambo, when you say the "later engine" how would I know if my late 2019 has the later engine? I suspect not as I dont have stop start? The Nav is my 4th car in the last 10 yrs with a DPF, never had a problem so far (touch wood). My normal pre covid daily commute was 7 miles on mostly A roads, so 50 mph mostly. Good to see Nissan sorted, albeit with a bit of persuasion!!
I am not sure what changed visually on the engine but the newer on is Euro 6d compliant and has different sensors and things. Does you car have rear disc brakes as that was also part of the update?

Maybe this issue only affects the latest version as my 2017 Nav didn't have any DPF problems, but it did have a duff battery, sticking front brake callipers and the AC pulley causing a coolant leak... as well as the chassis being quite rusty after just 2 years....

·
Registered
2019 Tekna
103 Posts
Hi Lambo, I have rear discs.
Funny enough I had a squeak from my front left brake the other day, stripped it down at the weekend to find half a wet wipe stuck in the caliper! Cleaned it out, slider pins were nice and free, not squeaked since.
I noticed some light surface rust on my chassis, cleaned it down and sprayed with WD40 for now untill I decide what I am going to use on it...
Mines an auto, maybe the stop start is only on manuals?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Lambo, I have rear discs.
Funny enough I had a squeak from my front left brake the other day, stripped it down at the weekend to find half a wet wipe stuck in the caliper! Cleaned it out, slider pins were nice and free, not squeaked since.
I noticed some light surface rust on my chassis, cleaned it down and sprayed with WD40 for now untill I decide what I am going to use on it...
Mines an auto, maybe the stop start is only on manuals?
Correct, Autos don't have stop start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Lambo
i have had the same issue with my 2021 Navara Nguard automatic
first the engine light came on then the dpf but no limp home mode at 3800 miles
I to have given the truck good runs even pulling a caravan
I have left it with the dealer but will be using your post if they try it on with charging for an oil change as at 3800 miles it shouldn’t need a service
I will keep posted
has your truck had any issue since ?

·
Registered
2021 np300 tekna auto
8 Posts
Hi just seen this thread after posting my own I’ve had the same issue this week at 4700 miles just wondered if the update has helped as the dealer wasn’t that convinced it was the end of the problem. However the service I got from them was very good as I brought the truck from a different garage there was never any question that it would be covered entirely on warranty and they were quick and easy to deal with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi just seen this thread after posting my own I’ve had the same issue this week at 4700 miles just wondered if the update has helped as the dealer wasn’t that convinced it was the end of the problem. However the service I got from them was very good as I brought the truck from a different garage there was never any question that it would be covered entirely on warranty and they were quick and easy to deal with.
Hi
I am now on 5500 miles and as of yet no light
The dealership changed the oil and filter re generated the dpf and updated the software
The dealer was very good about it
A friend of mine had a 21 plate with 12000 miles on and his has been in and out of the dealership with his going in to limp home mode and light on
The dealership say they need it for a week to try and sort the issue
Not had any news what’s happened as of yet
How many miles do you do a day with it ?

·
Registered
2021 np300 tekna auto
8 Posts
It varies I don’t use the truck every day i do know of one other navara that’s going into the dealer every two weeks as it spends a lot of time off road. I’ve got a friend who’s just brought a hilux which has a button to manually regen and I’ve had particulate filters on tractors with active regeneration where diesel is injected directly into the filter and have never had any problems with them in over 10 years why are we having these problems when there are clear solutions to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts