Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Navara D23 Stealth
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at the available options for a drawer system for the loadbed of the van, I decided that I’d rather build my own at a far cheaper price than those commercially available, so herewith the build log.

I decided on the Connect-It system which meant I didn’t have to weld and that it should be lighter than an all wood system.

I also decided that with the square tubing being 25mm, I wouldn’t need 18mm plywood, so went with the 12mm. I wanted 1 drawer as opposed to having 2 individual drawers (in retrospect, probably a mistake but I’ll see how long the frame lasts and stands up to abuse) and also purchased a pair of 1000mm of ball bearing slides.

I bought the square tubing in 2m lengths and as I don’t own a cut off saw, I built a small frame to turn my 115mm angle grinder into a cut-off saw.

After measuring I came up with the following design which I then got my girlfriend to put into AutoCad.

After cutting and installing some connect-it pieces

And eventually, frame fully built after some modifications to the initial design.

Tried to then fit it into the loadbed and realised that with the bottom of the loadbed being wider than the top, the frame wouldn’t fit in, so once again I modified a small section and cut-out 70mm from the side.

Space to incorporate my camping battery, DC-DC charger with MPPT and some USB/Harrison plugs.

Using 12mm plywood, I built the drawer with some wood screws and glue and then carpeted the bottom using some speaker box carpeting.

Now to mount the slides on 12mm plywood that would be bolted onto brackets riveted onto the 25mm square tubing.

·
Registered
2020 Navara D23 Stealth
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Everything now working and as it should.

Now for the side panels and electrics.

To be finished off over the weekend

·
Registered
2020 Navara D23 Stealth
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

Wanted to get the frame finished and in before the canopy was fitted.

But still a bit of work to finish it off.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,164 Posts
Nice progress, almost there!

Interesting system for the frame, the "Connect it". It is steel?

·
Registered
2020 Navara D23 Stealth
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Connect-It are molded plastic connectors that fit into square tubing (and round bar), either mild steel or aluminium.

Sizes come in 19/25 & 38mm.

·
Super Moderator
1,164 Posts
Interesting stuff, thank you.

Looks to be quite strong, wall thickness seems good on these inserts/unions.

·
Registered
2020 Navara D23 Stealth
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finished carpeting and the final side pieces this afternoon. Just the electrics to wire up but there isn't too much of a rush for the moment.

Fitted the drawer and bolted in the sides.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finished carpeting and the final side pieces this afternoon. Just the electrics to wire up but there isn't too much of a rush for the moment.

Fitted the drawer and bolted in the sides.

Looks good, I had the same thoughts when I got my Nav Last year, went for the 18mm ply Wood option. Also I used 25mm box with roller bearings for drawer supports(skate board wheel bearings) all in around £200

·
Registered
2020 Navara D23 Stealth
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks.

Yours looks good.

Mine probably cost a similar amount. Picked up a handle and a spring latch yesterday, so will fit over the weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks.

Yours looks good.

Mine probably cost a similar amount. Picked up a handle and a spring latch yesterday, so will fit over the weekend.

Thanks look forward to you final photo when complete, it does make the load bed far more useable.

·
Registered
2020 Navara D23 Stealth
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The drawer system is now finished.

Now for the wiring of the 2nd battery.

·
Super Moderator
4,529 Posts
Looking good guys ive wanted a draw for years, but just dont have the time to make one from scratch (any offers? Lol)
Im currently working on fitting a roll top under the canopy to make a kind of retractable shelf.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking good guys ive wanted a draw for years, but just dont have the time to make one from scratch (any offers? Lol)
Im currently working on fitting a roll top under the canopy to make a kind of retractable shelf.
Hi, never thought about fitting an internal roll top as a sliding shelf, might look into that as an optional extra for my Nav.
I will post the timber cutting list for my drawers I fitted, you should be able to get timber pre cut for you locally(B&Q did mine all to size no extra cost). Assemble take about 2-3 hours, more time if you want to fit locks to drawers and cover in carpet or rubber as I did.
I will also post the list of “extras” I used for runners and locks etc.

Not a big job but definitely worth the effort, tool storage is great post installation.

regards
Mw5151

1 - 16 of 16 Posts