Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i drive a forester at present,permanent 4x4,what is the navara like to drive in the wet in 2 wheel drive? and can 4x4 high, be used on tarmac without damage to the diff, (my last car a jeep cherokee could not)
thank you.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Welcome mate.

I think the driving in the wet thing is very tyre dependant, it certainly can be improved by changing tyres if you felt it neccessary.

As far as I am aware, you could drive in 4H in the dry on occassion, but not all of the time like a Forester.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
yep the forester is a realtime awd system.

the Navara can be driven in the wet in 4wd and i must say that the grip is rather good :)

But on tight maneuvers you still need to disengage 4wd.

G

·
my stepfather used to have a forrester - personally I hated it. But couldnt fault the grip...

This is a very different beastie - its more of a workhorse, less of a drop-the-kids-off-at-school look and feel.

The 4WD system in the nav' has a locked centre diff, making hard cornering very hard work in the dry (the wheels turn at different speeds in hard cornering (as in parking type manuvers) and the fixed front back ratio causes wheel hop / skip)

But - conversely, this makes for better off road grip.

The nav has much worse turning circle.

The nav can carry a LOT more.

The nav cruise control is a lot better.

you wont look like a school mum.

How hard do you drive in the wet? Do you slide it reguarly? :) or is it psychological that a 4wd is better in the wet? ABS and good tyres are a lot more important in an emergency than 2 or 4 wheel drive on the road... imho

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have BFG M/T on my D22, it does not step out as much in the wet as it used to with the original cheese tyres :( ......I have to really give it some in 2WD for it to step out now....I always thought mud tyres offered less grip in the wet :?
Can still do roundabouts sideways though :D
Makes the wife feel sick too :D

4WD in the wet spoils all the fun.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
att

the drift technique must look great :) ive never had the balls to try :( as the auto box is a bit unpredictable ;)

G

·
wleg , mines an auto as well and i've put 8 bags of wickes sharp sand in the back over the axle and it gives me alot more traction..(until i get new shocks or spring helpers)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bet that does wonders for your fuel consumption....

According to the handbook, we should be rotating tyres every 3000 miles.... I'll also be getting some of the Evo shocks... hopefully a quick rotate and the shocks will improve things.

G

·
the sand ,which has now been removed and used in the garden, didnt make any difference to the mpg...i know it says 3000 miles for the tyre rotation but i put my fronts to back at 6000 miles..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.