Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am wanting to set up a dual battery system for long camping trips, I will mount a solar panel on roof, I will also connect deep cycle battery to existing battery, question is where under the bonnet do I fit the smart battery isolator?
Also I have seen on utube that since the alternator is 'smart' I.e. Won't charge the second battery to full capacity to cut the green wire which will revert it back to a basic alternator
Any thoughts suggestions most appreciated
Cheers

·
Administrator
13,140 Posts
The smart alternator function is more to do with reducing emissions, so cutting the green wire (or putting a switch in) won't do any harm.

As you say a DC it DC is the other option, but significantly more expensive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The smart alternator function is more to do with reducing emissions, so cutting the green wire (or putting a switch in) won't do any harm.

As you say a DC it DC is the other option, but significantly more expensive.
Thanks for that as I’m thinking of maybe adding solar and alternator I might have to go to charger.

·
Registered
18 Posts
fitted a redarc dc to dc charger to my 2012 d40, got it for around 350 i think at a 4x4 show my battery is mounted back right corner and my charger is mounted just under the edge of the tub above it, I do have a canopy fitted fyi, with solar capability, was very easy to do as there is a screw hole under the centre console to allow the wiring for LED light to be run

·
Registered
18 Posts
fitted a redarc dc to dc charger to my 2012 d40, got it for around 350 i think at a 4x4 show my battery is mounted back right corner and my charger is mounted just under the edge of the tub above it, I do have a canopy fitted fyi, with solar capability, was very easy to do as there is a screw hole under the centre console to allow the wiring for LED light to be run
I can get some pics tonight if you require

·
Registered
18 Posts
My rear battery has a positive cable that runs to the front with a circuit breaker, my negative goes out the bottom to earth to chassis, the redarc comes pre wired just a matter of joining and running to the front of vehicle, you can mount under tray but i have 145 litre tank there, you can mount closer to cab as well if you like, for me the titan draws provided a space for the battery so its right rear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks
My rear battery has a positive cable that runs to the front with a circuit breaker, my negative goes out the bottom to earth to chassis, the redarc comes pre wired just a matter of joining and running to the front of vehicle, you can mount under tray but i have 145 litre tank there, you can mount closer to cab as well if you like, for me the titan draws provided a space for the battery so its right rear.
[/QU
Thanks would I be able to get some pictures please

1 - 10 of 10 Posts