Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about installing a EGR blank, my main worry is the boost psi is there a way or something like a Dawes valve I can use to stabilise the boost as I see this is the main issue to the engine installing one can have, any useful links to places like eBay would be appreciated, thanks. I understand this can be illegal for emissions.

·
Administrator
12,669 Posts
The egr just introduces exhaust gas into the intake which reduces the combustion temperatures.

Not sure how that can affect the boost?

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
The EGR has no connection whatsoever to boost pressure.

I think you got the "dawes vavle" thing in the YouTube video where the guy goes on about irregular boost after EGR block on a 3.0 Patrol.

In the video, the guy talks about the boost going up when he tries to cruise... but that's what it's supposed to do, the whole idea to help the engine burn less diesel? He is talking about fractional differences. After 600 miles or so it's quite possible that the ECU will adjust a few parameters and probably smooth out the changes anyway; with your engine.

There's a lot of dodgy information on the internet, if you need to use it for mechanical issues, you gotta take 20 opinions and then build your own and cross your fingers!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive heard that as it's the exhaust out take that Powers the turbo If blanking the egr may allow a lor more through causing it to over spool, I don't really know what I'm talking about,, Ive just read that this can be a good idea to keep fresh air through the combustion chamber

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
I am not familiar with the ZD30 to this level. So therefore I can only make assumptions further than the fact that an EGR system in general should have no effect on boost. But, as I say, maybe there is some weird design with the ZD30. Maybe the EGR out-take is in a more badly suited position. Since if at design level you intend to out-take gases near the turbo, considerations should have been made with regard to the EGR blocking naturally over time. Bad design.

The YD25DDTi ECU would have no issue with this and would simply (and immediately) adjust any effected parameters, if there were any that is. Which could mean it has no effect, or it could mean it just isn't noticeable.

·
Administrator
2,384 Posts
The authoritative internet source for ZD30 questions is the ZD30 Bible published on the Patrol 4x4 forum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks just read this

"
blocking the EGR and
redirecting the additional exhaust gas flow toward the turbo it will cause the turbo to spin
faster thereby giving better low down performance and faster Turbo spool up which can greatly
reduce Turbo lag, and is seen as a plus for drivability, but this also increases boost."

I don't want to increase boost but do want to install a EGR block, would the best way to reduce boost to install a manual boost controller?

·
Administrator
2,384 Posts
Thanks just read this

"
blocking the EGR and
redirecting the additional exhaust gas flow toward the turbo it will cause the turbo to spin
faster thereby giving better low down performance and faster Turbo spool up which can greatly
reduce Turbo lag, and is seen as a plus for drivability, but this also increases boost."

I don't want to increase boost but do want to install a EGR block, would the best way to reduce boost to install a manual boost controller?
Although the bible is an excellent source of guidance, it’s still not foolproof. That particular statement is foolish because turbo boost output is regulated by a boost controller and a waste valve. EGR modification will not increase the maximum boost provided by your turbo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts