Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi folks,
Just wanted to let you know about my experience so hopefully others are not caught out. I have been aware of some owners having problems with EGR but as they can be programmed out of the software I thought I'll be grand if i get a problem I'll just get it deleted. Well I did get an EGR warning P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Volume Control Valve Circuit, also went into limp mode (less power). Of I went to local remappers, yep can remove the signal so no warning on the dash and I also had them do a remap.
On the way home I felt that truck wasnt just performing right seemed to be a lag between throttle response and turbo kicking in. I went back and they did a full check over and couldn’t find anything wrong but admitted the truck just didn’t feel right. They put the software back to standard and I went for a check at my local dealer.
The warning light had since come back on for EGR so surprise surprise they said EGR problem. They did a software updated to widen the spec the sensors look for but still no good. Solution new EGR valve, £1000 plus fitting please.
I called BillCar they told me if your EGR has stopped working then only solution is a new unit £450 http://www.billcar.eu/BillCar.Limited/en/d40-v6-egr-valve-new-genuineso ordered one and fitted it myself. I found 3 videos on YouTube posted by a Russian guy about removing the original.

Once I took mine out it was stuck solid. Tried to clean it but no use couldnt move it. Fitted the new one and had a warning P0488 EGR flow sensor after running for about 20mins this went off. No issues now driving 100%. So after a bit of digging its the P0488 alarm that can be ignored and deleted by the mappers if you fit a blanking plate without a hole you will get this alarm no problem ignoring it, but your EGR has to be working.
So morale of the story is CLEAN your EGR valve before you get any hassles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
Just read your article
I've just had my egr plated and the truck re mapped
The guys at Auto Torque in Aylesbury said it was fine to remove the egr?
It's running like a dream now
They claim 280bhp 600nm of torque!!
It drives a lot different
Much more fluid from the start and as if it wasn't fast enough well wow! is all I can say.
Definitely worth doing

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yep but your EGR is still working (able to move) just not getting gas through as you have it plated off, the EGR delete removes the signal thats saying its not sensing a gas air flow through the unit but mine was also sending data to put the truck into a limp mode as it had failed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ref egr

Yep but your EGR is still working (able to move) just not getting gas through as you have it plated off, the EGR delete removes the signal thats saying its not sensing a gas air flow through the unit but mine was also sending data to put the truck into a limp mode as it had failed.
Hi Will

My EGR had failed too but the truck was running fine
I opted for the plate and re map as it worked out better for me.
Having read various articles on EGR valves i'm not worried in the slightest...all that soot getting put back through the engine.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The soot is carbon and unburned hydrocarbons and actually burns in the cylinder if the engine working correctly. You can run many internal combustion engines quite well on powdered & purified (else it's abrasive) coal dust if necessary, as per Herr Diesel's original engine patent.

The non-combustible exhaust gases (largely CO2, NOx) constitute the bulk of what is recirculated, but the soot is, however sticky and will gum up cold parts like intake manifolds. A good way to reduce soot in the first place is to avoid the cheapo "power boost" plugins, and another is to make sure the engine gets properly hot quite often by making it work hard. But sad to say, EGRs & DPF are inevitably replacement items at some point if you value staying as clean as you can!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Will

My EGR had failed too but the truck was running fine
I opted for the plate and re map as it worked out better for me.
Having read various articles on EGR valves i'm not worried in the slightest...all that soot getting put back through the engine.

Mine was running like a dog, hard to start, struggled to get above 1000rpm when cold then low on power when it warmed up.

·
Registered
2011, navara D40 3.0L v6 (STX550)
17 Posts
is there any way to tell if the EGR removed from the ECU? when i bought the the jeep i found that there was a full blanking plate fitted and the EGR valve unplugged. i have a good few mods done to improve power but none really had an effect:
  • larger upgraded intercooler
  • plazmaman hard pipe kit
  • k&n panel filter
  • power remap
  • DPF removed
like if i wanted to overtake a 50mph, i fell like i'm driving a 1.6 petrol car overtaking. plugged into it and there is no error codes. maybe i'm expecting too much from it.

·
Administrator
12,315 Posts
I don't think there is a way to tell if the EGR has been deleted from the ECU.
The V6 is quite lovely, so should be even more so with those upgrades.

·
Registered
2011, navara D40 3.0L v6 (STX550)
17 Posts
yea thats why i'm guessing there is an issue. will bring somewhere to get EGR files removed and ask them if it was present or not because i was thinking if it was removed, why is it plugged out then. other than that a great machine. i had to d40 2.5 before this but its the constant power in the v6 that makes it nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts