Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All.
I hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction with an issue with a 2nd hand truck I have recently brought. A couple of days ago I was made aware that my tail lights and brake lights were not working. I found an issue with the taillights leaking and were full of water. after emptying and repairing I began to look into the issue and found a blown fuse in the hidden fuse box which I replaced. This didn't seem to resolve the issue so i looked further and investigated the wiring from the towing hook. after checking all cables looked OK the rear lights started to work.

Driving yesterday I noticed the Auto Headlight function was working which I don't think it did previously all was good. However today the taillights have stopped again and the Auto Headlight feature is not working. I've repeated my moving of the cables from the Tow bar but to no avail. I have checked the power to the two hitch and that seems to be working for both lights and brake lights.

I've checked all fuses in all fuse boxes and none are blown.

Can anyone suggest anything else i can try at this point?

Many Thanks

Graham

·
Administrator
15,346 Posts
Certainly bulbs, brake light switch.

Worth double checking the towing electrics, guessing they are wired into the rear cluster rather than the proper kit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had a similar issue with my V6 Navara, discovered the towing hitch electrics were tapped into the wiring loom running along the underside main chassis subframe located externaly below the drivers seat. The individuals that installed the tow hitch wiring had used Quick Splice Scotch Lock T Tap Joint Crimps to the main loom harness but did not re-seal the loom to prevent water ingress! (The tow hitch electrics were installed in 2012. Last year the tow hitch and rear lights failed as the copper cables in the harness started to perish (verdigris) and caused hi resistance faults and some short circuits at the joints! It took me about 3 days work under the truck to repair the harness. All failed harness cables had to be identified, cleaned and repaired. Finshed up soldering the tow hitch wires direct to the appropriate wire in the main loom. Finally I insulated each individual cables again with heat-shrink sleeving (approximately 12 cables). I then re-sealed the loom with self amalgamating tape with a final coating of undersea over the whole area. I'm afraid exposed copper wires when wet will fail due to voltage potential between the bare conductors and create verdigris resulting in high resistance faults.

Hope this helps a little. (luckily i'm a retired electrical engineer!)

·
Administrator
15,346 Posts
There is a dedicated towing electrics kit that simply plugs in at the rear of the chassis near the towbar.

Surprising how many people just bodge something in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts