Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I recently bought a 53-plate D22 with 76,000 miles on it. I have just returned from a 4 day 1600 mile trip to the south of France in the Navara. All the way there it performed faultlessly (as it has done since I bought it), but upon leaving a peage station (toll booth) after holding around 80mph for a couple of hours, the engine faltered and seemed to misfire as I pulled away. This was repeated thoughout the trip back, and only occurs in third gear, irrespective of revs. All the other gears pull cleanly from tickover to 3500rpm (I never rev it above that, but have no reason to expect an issue at higher revs). After sitting on the ferry for a couple of hours, the fault disappeared for about 60 miles, and then returned. Again, after sitting overnight it was ok again this morning, but the fault recurred again after a few minutes driving.

I have a pretty good warranty on the truck, so I am not worried about the costs or difficulty of the repair, but I am really struggling to understand why the engine would misfire only in a specific gear?!!? Any and all suggestions gratefully received!

Regards,

Dex

·
Registered
976 Posts
it may not be missing but rather one of the butterflys flicking on/off due to a faulty neutral switch on the gearbox.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tweak'e said:
it may not be missing but rather one of the butterflys flicking on/off due to a faulty neutral switch on the gearbox.
Is there a way of verifying that (not that I disbelieve you!) or even a temporary fix until I can get it in for repair?

Thanks in advance

Dex

·
Registered
976 Posts
the neutral switch problem has been report here a few times. however i don't know which one it is. if i get spare time i will look.

actually scub the bit about the butterfly as i have no idea what motor you run.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having searched through the manual; as far as I can understand, the TD25 engine doesn't have a neutral switch. There are several connectors in the gearbox housing, but I cvan only identify the reverse light switch.

Any suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Resolution:

This post is to help others who suffer from this same problem.
Despite what the manual says (as I read it anyway), there is a neutral switch on the UK D22 2.5 diesel. If you lie under the car on the driver's side, just where the gear lever comes through into the gearbox, you can see 2 sensors, each with 2 wires coming out of them. The one towards the rear of the truck, closer to the gear lever is the reverse light switch. The one just in front of that is the neutral switch; disconnect the plug that it is connected to (fiddly to do), and your problem will be solved. The misfire is gone, and the only negative effect I have found is that the engine warm-up switch no longer works. I have now ordered a new neutral switch, and I assume that will remedy that too.

Thanks to Tweak'e for his assistance.

Dex

·
Registered
566 Posts
Dex,
Good man for posting the solution, well found. :D

Well done to Tweak'e too for his assistance.. :wink:

·
Registered
976 Posts
cheers BigDex, nicly written. that should be made a sticky.

·
Registered
976 Posts
don't know fully.
when you put it into gear the 2nd butterfly (on the ZD30) operates. by the sounds of it it must also switch fuel maps and possibly EGR operation. i would expect it lowers the fuel so you don't over rev or upset emissions during the gear change.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only function that I can think of is that it enables the engine warm-up switch to operate, which raises the idle speed only whilst the gearbox is in neutral. I presume it must also change the injection map as the engine runs very badly when the switch is defective and activates when in gear.

I have now fitted a new neutral switch to my D22 (FWIW, this is most easily done by removing the gear lever gaitor, not from underneath!), and everything works just as it should, including the warm-up switch.

D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts