Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting for a new truck and have read that there is a euro 3 and a euro 4 version. My dealer says all D40s are the same. What is the real story? TAI.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I guess if you get an anti 4X4 muppets banging on at you you can tell them your Navara is in line with European standards on emissions and is Euro 4 complient 8)

Just remember to say it with conviction as if you know what it means :D and then drive over them :evil:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for that, errr. No, I mean thank you very much but it means nothing to me. I am interested to know why the new euro 4 is less powerful (171 as against 174) and less economical than the D40 when it first came out. Is there a way of changing it back to get the better mpg and power. Again, thank you in anticipation and what a great forum.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am no expert about this but the new standards probably require a'stifling' of the engine to get the emissions down.
New Motorbikes are suffering from this i.e heavy catalysers in the collector box reducing horsepower and adding weight.

As for regaining the horsepower and fuel consumption I don't have an answer, but I am sure someone on this forum will.

PS: Like your attitude by the way.....'Clarkson' would be proud of you :wink:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Chris,
It is illegal to degrade the emmisions back to Euro 3 from Euro 4. So, if you got pulled for a VOSA Roadside check, it will cost you. It will also probably fail its MOT in 3 years time..

Nowadays, you need to be really careful with exhaust mods / cat removal etc as they all ultimately affect what comes out of the tailpipe.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Well mine is a Euro 4 registered end September 2006 so its in the cheap £115 per year tax bracket :lol:

No noticable loss in performance or fuel consumption in real world terms so I'm very happy with it.

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Bob . I have now received from nissan the comparison tables for the euro 4 against the euro 3. It makes dismal reading as the newer euro 4 is down 4 hp (not a lot, I know, but it aint exactly progress) and more importantly the fuel consumption goes from 33.2 for the euro 3, to 28.8 for the euro 4 on the combined cycle. That is a whopping 15% more on the old euro 3 model. Also, the road tax on new euro 4 vehicles registered after 1st jan 07 reverts to the normal full tax of £170. The old ones are the best ones and I wish I had one. I am only getting 21 mpg at the moment and I am not happy. Does any one know what nissan did to the 3. I would like to change mine back to a 3 spec.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
As I understand it the Euro 3 was 174 hp and the Euro 4 171 or 172 hp (note hp NOT bhp) and I thought the torque figures were the same 403nM (about 297 in old money!)

I don't care what the official figures are for mpg as they are not what I call "real world" figures.

Mine has now done circa 11k miles of mixed driving:
Motorways/A roads/B roads/ Un classed roads/Long distances/Urban/Towing empty trailers/Towing 2.5 tonne trailers/ driving with no bed cover/driving with a bed cover/driving with a canopy (SnugTop)/On & Off road

So a wide range and overall I am happy with the MPG I get.

The most I've had was 39 mpg (over 300 ish miles of A roads)and the worst was in the teens but that was having some real fun with it.

I tend to average 30 mpg over a full tank unless I've been doing a lot of towing.I keep a record of mileage and fuel costs for my books so I know what I'm getting.

This morning I filled up and it cost me £67 at 93.9p per litre thanks to Mr Sainsbury so that means I put 71.35 Ltrs in my tank. That equates to 15.7 Gallons and the mileage since my last fill up was 489 miles.
That gives me a gnats over 31 mpg and at that, I'm happy

In the past I've done 600 ish miles in one day of motorway driving and achieved just over 35 mpg.
I've also done 400 miles of towing and only got 23 mpg.

The biggest effect on your mpg is your own driving style.

Driving around my local town I often don't go above 1500rpm as there is no need to.

Bob

·
Registered
319 Posts
Re:

bobsabuilder said:
As I understand it the Euro 3 was 174 hp and the Euro 4 171 or 172 hp (note hp NOT bhp) and I thought the torque figures were the same 403nM (about 297 in old money!)

I don't care what the official figures are for mpg as they are not what I call "real world" figures.

Mine has now done circa 11k miles of mixed driving:
Motorways/A roads/B roads/ Un classed roads/Long distances/Urban/Towing empty trailers/Towing 2.5 tonne trailers/ driving with no bed cover/driving with a bed cover/driving with a canopy (SnugTop)/On & Off road

So a wide range and overall I am happy with the MPG I get.

The most I've had was 39 mpg (over 300 ish miles of A roads)and the worst was in the teens but that was having some real fun with it.

I tend to average 30 mpg over a full tank unless I've been doing a lot of towing.I keep a record of mileage and fuel costs for my books so I know what I'm getting.

This morning I filled up and it cost me £67 at 93.9p per litre thanks to Mr Sainsbury so that means I put 71.35 Ltrs in my tank. That equates to 15.7 Gallons and the mileage since my last fill up was 489 miles.
That gives me a gnats over 31 mpg and at that, I'm happy

In the past I've done 600 ish miles in one day of motorway driving and achieved just over 35 mpg.
I've also done 400 miles of towing and only got 23 mpg.

The biggest effect on your mpg is your own driving style.

Driving around my local town I often don't go above 1500rpm as there is no need to.

Bob
How times have changed 93.9p a litre !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts