Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into upgrading from stock exhaust, alot I'm looking at either are just straight pipe, cat with no muffler, no cat with muffler or cat and muffler, is there any benefit or difference besides sound to get either as a straight pipe is much cheaper , will that potentially cause any sort damage or loss of back pressure making performance issues? I am not concerned about sound so would that be the best option or would the cat and muffler one be better as would it protect the engine at all? I am unsure and what I am reading about it, is all a debate,

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
You are probably just as well buying a 3" performance exhaust system.
You need the cat to keep legal, getting rid of a muffler will make it quite loud, your choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am looking into a performance exhaust kit, I have seen comments saying no muffler can cause issues with back pressure, is this true and can it cause damage to engine? Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
I made a straight 3" stainless system for mine from Turbo back, performance wise not sure it made much of a difference... noise wise its nice without being obnoxious.

·
Registered
2016 NP300
15 Posts
Diesels don't get a lot louder with straight-through systems, there will be an increase in noise, but it's never going to sound like a performance car.

Removing the back box won't cause pressure issues, if it did companies wouldn't supply cat-back straight through systems. Removing the back box really only increases noise levels, which as I say, is never really that bad in a diesel.

You need to keep the cat for emission purposes really, but I have known people remove them and still get away with MOT tests.

*Just so you don't think I am spouting rubbish, I spent 8 years designing high performance exhausts for sports cars *

1 - 9 of 9 Posts