Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDITED AS PER PRECORS FINDINGS CHANGES IN BOLD

I have just fitted mine and was really easy, so here is a step by step guide.

This is based on a CISBO 4 sensor audio kit. I bought one with silver coloured sensors, and I think they look much better than black ones against the chrome.

Total fitting time was under an hour.

1) Bench test the system, using a 12v battery. This is optional, but for cheap electroinc parts like this I'd definitely do it.

2) Remove the rear passenger side light cluster. Undo the two 10mm bolts exposed when you drop the tailgate. Carefully push in the tab with a small flatbladed screwdriver on the connector as you gently pull it out.

3) Fold down back of rear passenger seat. Here you will see some vents in the rear of the cab. Feed the plug end of the buzzer cable through the lower one. Stick the buzzer down, as close to where the cable dissapears as possible.

4) Cable tie the buzzer cable along the existing chassis harness, feeding the plug up into the cavity where the light cluster is.

5) Carefully slice a piece of the outer sheathing to expose a small section of the inner metal core on both the red and black wires that lead to the lowest lamp in the cluster. Make sure that these are offset so there is no possibility of them shorting.

6) Solder the bare ends of the power wire to the two exposed metal areas of the wire on the light cluster. (Black to black, Red to Red obviously) Then neatly wrap these joints with insulation tape.

7) Cover the bumpers with masking tape.

8) Mark position of the sensors. I placed mine 60mm below the line of the top black plastic trim this corresponds tio the centre of the numberplate. The outer ones being about 100mm from the edge of the bumper, the inner ones 320 mm in from that.

9) Drill 4 pilot holes at the marked positions.

10) Remove masking tape. If you leave it on the heat of the hole cutter causes the tape to leave a gummy residue (experience talking here :oops: )

11) Throw away the hole cutter that came with the kit. :lol:

12) With a decent 21mm hole cutter, finish off the 4 holes.

13) Fit the sensors. They are lettered A-D. Looking from the rear "A" should be the leftmost one, then B, C and D the rightmost. Feed the wires through the angle ring then hole, until the ring/sensor is flush with the bumper.

14) Use a dab of silicon to secure the sensors

15) Route and tie sensor cables underneath the chassis and up into the light cluster cavity.

16) Reattach the light connector, and plug in the power, buzzer, and sensor wires into the sensor control box.

17) Using duck tape wrap the edge of the box and the wires to prevent water getting in, and hold plugs in securely. The box is designed to be kept in the dry of the cabin, but for the Navara that would mean running long extensions of the sensors and/or power. The inside of the light cluster cavity is pretty darn dry, and this is really belt and braces. I figured even if it does fail (which I doubt) it'll cost £25 to replace.

18) Stick box to right handside of light cluster cavity, you'll see a almost custom made indent, nearly level with the top of the opening. Make sure it is as far back as possible.

19) Refix light cluster. And test.

Hope you find this useful

Si

·
Registered
37 Posts
reverse sensers

Fitted mine today, you're right about hole cutter,it's ****, Got problem with mine when in reverse got constant tone even when not near anything checked everything and as i can see is all ok, emailed supplier waiting to hear from them, I didn't test mine before fitting :oops: but there you go!

·
Registered
37 Posts
reverse sensors

just a update, contacted supplier on ebay, found sensor "A" faulty they are sending a new sensor out, unpluged sensor A and system works fine. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re No 14 above

Would strongly recommend that you fit the angled collars as per the instructions - at the back of the sensor infront of the bumper.
As the bumper on the Navara is high enough off the ground you don't need to do this for the angle benefit but you do need a 'spacer' between the metal bumper and the sensor or you may experience intermittent constant tone problems.....................trust me and save yourself a lot of messing around :wink:

You can secure the sensor in the hole with a bit of clear silicone.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
precor said:
Re No 14 above

Would strongly recommend that you fit the angled collars as per the instructions - at the back of the sensor infront of the bumper.
As the bumper on the Navara is high enough off the ground you don't need to do this for the angle benefit but you do need a 'spacer' between the metal bumper and the sensor or you may experience intermittent constant tone problems.....................trust me and save yourself a lot of messing around :wink:

You can secure the sensor in the hole with a bit of clear silicone.

Edited to include your suggestion

G

·
I have also fitted reverse sensors to my D22. I fitted the collars to try and square the senors up as bumper has a few knocks in it and the system works fine. I have to agree with everyone else though, junk the hole cutter which comes with the sensors. I think more metal came off the cutter than the bumper!. They are OK for plastic bumpers but not designed for the steel bumpers on a Navara. :shock:

·
Registered
2 Posts
reversing sensors

Just fitted my reversing sensors from e-bay £24 inc postage and they work great.
Thanks for the tips from this site.
Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
D40 OEM reversing sensor problems

Hi, I am a new member to the site and hope someone will be able to help. I have an OEM set of reversing sensors fitted to my car and they beep continuously (they are set in the chrome bumper as I didnt like the crappy plastic bits supplied) I have checked them out of the car and they work fine when fitted to the plastic parts. But once back in the bumper they beep continuously again. Has anyone any suggestions please? :lol:

G

·
Re: D40 OEM reversing sensor problems

pointeng said:
Hi, I am a new member to the site and hope someone will be able to help. I have an OEM set of reversing sensors fitted to my car and they beep continuously (they are set in the chrome bumper as I didnt like the crappy plastic bits supplied) I have checked them out of the car and they work fine when fitted to the plastic parts. But once back in the bumper they beep continuously again. Has anyone any suggestions please? :lol:
there is a thread somewhere saying that fitting cheapo sensers onto metal bumpers dont work...

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I think Pointeng has fitted the Nissan sensors into his metal bumper as the plastic mounts supplied by Nissan are ****.

In which case, as a NON expert on this subject, my opinion is that you need to fit a plastic collar/grommet between the sensor and the bumper.
This will isolate it from the metal, it will space it slightly away from the bumper, and avoid any signal being reflected back to the sensor giving the false trigger. You also want to try to have the sensor pointing UP slightly as it will read the ground/road surface as an obstruction and so bleep continually if its too low.

This is what I understand from having read several threads over different forums regarding rear parking sensors.

Hope thats of some help, and welcome to the site!

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
The genuine Nissan rear parking kit

Thanks BOB, yes you are correct I have fitted the genuine Nissan kit and its not working correctly, I will try your suggestions which means drilling bigger holes as the kit comes with another plastic adaptor. I was concerned that the chrome on the bumper caused 'bounce back' but obvoiusly other cheaper kits work OK. Thanks I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I think that some of the plastic adaptor rings that fit between the sensor and the bumper are wedge shaped, this is so that you can have them pointing slightly upwards, so if your's are wedge shaped, have thee thick part to thee bottom.

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had the Nissan sensors fitted from new (dealer threw in a freebie) and they have been great so far.....they are only two odd weeks old though.

The problem is the colour, they are black with a black rubber colour and the middle two hang down below the bumper - not exactly neat!

Does anyone know if I can change the sensor head thing for an aftermarket silver one such as those in this thread?

Cheers ... L

1 - 20 of 23 Posts