Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys, apologies if I should've tacked this on the previous thread.
After spending hours on forums & video sites I have definitely tracked down an exact match for the noise I 'm dealing with in my rebuilt 2010 D22 Navara.
I'll be honest my mechanical know how hasn't progressed much further than probably an old HQ Kingsy engine bay & I can't really get my head around turbo,intercooler,boost valves ect.

I'm hoping someone will be able to direct me to which join/connection point it's more probable is the source of this sound please.
As stated the noise is only there when driving & under load & seems to kick in around 2200 RPM. No other noise or shudders or lack of power occurs & not sure if it is able to drive thru it for it to go away at for example 3000RPM as the very few times I've driven it I jump off the pedal as soon as it starts.
Ute idles fine & sitting in neutral or park & revving it will not cause the noise it is purely when driving & hitting 2200RPM.
I've also smelt no fuel around ute & no engine light comes on or anything.
Greatly appreciate if folks would listen to this very short clip ( not even a minute ) & moreso from the 10 second mark & point me the way to at least making a start of undoing &/or moving things out the way to get about tightening up a spot that was forgotten or whatever.

cheers
bob

·
Administrator
17,173 Posts
Sounds a bit like a manifold leak.

There's a few methods to find leaks, I've had success shining a torch around the suspected area in the dark as that tends to show soot particles in the leaking exhaust gas.
I've heard of people using vacuum cleaners attached to the exhaust ( engine off!) As always dozens of YouTube videos if you fancy giving that a try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was gonna do the old reversable vaccum up tail pipe trick until it dawned on me that the old shop vaccuum was another thing I left behind at former rental property.Cheers for responding.
I slung some spanners around under the hood this arvo & tightened a few loosy's up. was gonna take it for a try after a feed bit later but I would be real surprised if i don't hear noise same when i do. Sort of resigned to the reality of having to wait yet another week for this guy to come back to work from his bout of " C19" that he allegedly got the day I picked Ute up.
Not sure how I'll take it if he has same attitude towards my needing it back ASAP & probable making me wait another week again while he mends it.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
2,200 is around the maximum torque mark when the engine will be at its most efficient, if this rpm doesn't 'flutter' about too much, you could well have a partially blocked catalytic converter?
I have dealt with this a few times on other makes, one owner ignored the problem and kept driving them until there was an enormous bang on a motorway, the back pressure being sufficient to split the EGR feed pipe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you end up getting to the bottom of this? I have similar from 2200-3k+ or when under load for a bit or cold mornings is phases in and out whenever really, I suspect the manifold/leaking intercooler is at foul for myself however before ripping apart I'd like to sus I'm looking in the right area, video via link for what I have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you end up getting to the bottom of this? I have similar from 2200-3k+ or when under load for a bit or cold mornings is phases in and out whenever really, I suspect the manifold/leaking intercooler is at foul for myself however before ripping apart I'd like to sus I'm looking in the right area, video via link for what I have.

hey mate did you end up finding what it was causing the sound as im getting the same sound in my d40 when my car hits the 3k mark then goes away after the gear changes cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey mate did you end up finding what it was causing the sound as im getting the same sound in my d40 when my car hits the 3k mark then goes away after the gear changes cheers
no i didn't, driven the car probably 5 times at most since posting, waiting for it to warm up before i have a further look, got no shelter from rain currently

1 - 9 of 9 Posts