Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, currently got an X reg. D22 which seems to be returning around 20-23 to the gallon no matter what I do to it. Looking at some other threads, it appears that some are getting high 20's pg so is there something I need to look at?!? MAF sensor? etc. It has got Hiclones fitted but they have made no difference to the fuel consumption - on a normal tank I get around 300 miles to reserve which works out to about 22mpg - this is mostly 120 mile motorway trips at 70-80mph.
I have tried slowing to 70mph and below with little/no difference. Is this just normal??

R1Rocket

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi R1Rocket

Not sure about any engine changes / fuel economy measures on the D22 over the years but my 53 D22 is returning mid to high 20s on normal day to day stuff and low 30s on longer journeys 70 - 80mph max.

Apart from regularly servicing and making sure the air cleaner element is cleaned out, every 3 months I put a full bottle of Wynns injector cleaner in a full tank of diesel.......don't know if this helps.

Mick

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know mines a different engine, but on recent trip darn sarf I used a full tank of diesel sticking around the 75 mark, coming back I had to stick to 55 ish, it didn`t even make it to threequaters empty. :?:

·
Registered
110 Posts
:D I get at least 650 klms before the red light comes on in my D22 from a 75ltr tank and can only fit in 65ltrs pushing it in ! so fuel consumption is at 10ltrs per 100 klms :D don't know how that converts to miles per gallon :? but the air is thinner in Australia that's why we're all batty ! :D :D :D

Damo. 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice so far

Cheers for the advice so far. I have tried most things that you have suggested - I have used injector cleaner in it and still do periodically. I have tried driving on the motorway between 55 and 60 (annoys the hell out of reps!). I have also fitted the Hiclones but all with no noticable difference. On the plus side the engine runs fine and pulls well, so maybe it's nothing but still depressing when others with the same vehicle are reporting high 20's/early 30's and I am getting between 17 -23mpg (17 was on a high speed run up country - tank on reserve in 240 miles!).
Any other advice on engine setup is much appreciated i.e. fuel air mix/MAF sensor etc.

R1rocket

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi have you still got original air filter fitted. i changed mine for a piper cross and it drank diesel. i also had a problem with fuel consumption prior to this.my mechanic checked it out and back brakes were seized on. it had been stood a whil with handbrake on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Standard air filter

The air filter is new at the last service (5000 miles ago) but is still the standard type so shouldn't affect anything. Just had all 4 tyres changed and a brake check, so no problems there but thanks for the advice as I was looking at fitting a K&N or something similar. Does anyone know how to test the MAF sensor?(apart from paying a dealer!).

R1rocket

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have a pipercross filter fitted, and my MPG is quite bad, is this why? also just looked and my MAF is sitting in the old housing doing sweet Fook all......

any ideas what i can do? it was like this when i got her....

·
Registered
976 Posts
r1rocket said:
......22mpg.......... Is this just normal??

R1Rocket
you don't mention which motor you have, however this is about normal depending a bit on driving style, load and terrian. its roughly the same as what we get with the 3 litre motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dotn really do motor way miles but tend to get 350 miles out of a full tank, if i am really good i can get 380, once i got 400 but quite frankly it was way to slow for me to ever drive like that for the rest of my life, mabye when i get to 80.

Thou i have to say my drive to work is 6 miles and i get to role down hill for 1 mile. So that probley save's on wet stuff by the tim eyou think my 12 mil trip is down to 10 mils and 2 miles of rolling down hill.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Pootling around town and a bit of 'A' roads is giving me 30mpg but I don't drive it hard.

1st fill was £35 for 240 miles
2nd fill was £54 for 390 miles

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I must be doing pretty well,
The first week I got my 02 Nav I drove down south to visit family, I got just over 400 miles to a tank an I was pushing a ton on the motorways!
I drive pretty hard, cant see the point in hanging around, in fact I drive as hard as the conditions/roads allow :twisted: and still get 350miles plus! (most of the time)

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi there i get about 400/420 on a tank i worked this out to 28mpg but i have a small caravan this knocks **** out of it down to 16ish caravan is very small 650kg dont know what a big one would do to it

·
Registered
10 Posts
I normally get just over 400 miles to a full tank until the light comes on which is about 30 to 32 mpg driving mostly motorways between 65-75mph during the week and a little bit of round town at the weekends. Mine is a 2004 D22 (with 24k miles on the clock) normal air filter, tyres that came with the vehicle from new. I do have a snugtop on the back which probably helps reduce drag slightly so that must help me get a few more miles to the gallon.
Cheers
Ade :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.