Nissan-Navara.net banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Not sure tbh, havent played around with pumps much in the past.
Thanks for the advice will give it a go. Seems fairly easy to do.

Im not getting a great deal of smoke, its just enough for it to be annoying. And its seems to be lacking power on low revs, ie when you take off letting the clutch up. But when the turbo kicks in it runs pretty good.

Ill do a compression test as well. Had some rusty gunk in the cylinder walls when I pulled the head off. Perhaps this could be compression related.

Ill also double check the valve clearance as I did not check it. Trusted the supplier to have it set correctly from factory. Maybe the inlet valves are not opening correctly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Clean fuel coming out
Comp test was 21-22 on all cylinders. Probably a bit more as my test nipple did not get a snug fit on the cylinder head
Valve clearance looks good

Had a chat to a chap at a fuel injector place and he said 9/10 injectors will come back faulty as the are only meant to last 100.000kms. He basically said its better to just replace the then to have them tested..

Ill wait until I can read my injector compensation before getting new injectors. Hopefully I can get away with just replacing a few. If compensation is looking good im guessing im up for a new pump.

I could probably pull out a set of a injectors out of a good running yd25 and see if that makes a difference as well before biting the bullet.

·
Registered
2014 D40 Navara Titanium Edition
3 Posts
I normally just bypass the fuel filter when troubleshooting, but not sure if that’s the right way of doing it?
As you are saying premium diesel and additives are very cheap I’ll give it a go as I’m waiting on getting the injectors looked at.

another thing I have noticed is that after replacing the scv the car has started to struggle to hold idle, it’s not a lot but enough to notice if you listen close enough.

I wish I had a scanner that could read engine load and injector readings like injector compensation. I have a few Navaras with this issue, in fact pretty much all of them blows smoke to some degree.

I have another thread about this and it sounds like Nissan consult is the only way to go.
Hi Perrka, how often to do change the fuel filter? - from what I have been reading our diesel here in AUS isn't the best. Since new I have been changing my fuel filter every 10,000k service and I also have been using Flashlube Diesel Conditioner. I just had the car inspected at 280,000 for an EGR and inlet manifold de-coke at Berrima Diesel and the mechanic was shocked that I didn't have any smoke or injector noise. For me I am lucky as I do quite a lot of highway kms living in the country so things get to heat up to normal temps and I don't tend to do short trips. My D40 was my first diesel ute and after having a Prado D4D detonate on me I took some advice from Berrima Diesel who recommend fuel filter every service due to our fuel quality. Some may see this as over servicing but at least you are ruling out fuel filter causing problems as others have suggested...

·
Registered
2014 D40 Navara Titanium Edition
3 Posts
Clean fuel coming out
Comp test was 21-22 on all cylinders. Probably a bit more as my test nipple did not get a snug fit on the cylinder head
Valve clearance looks good

Had a chat to a chap at a fuel injector place and he said 9/10 injectors will come back faulty as the are only meant to last 100.000kms. He basically said its better to just replace the then to have them tested..

Ill wait until I can read my injector compensation before getting new injectors. Hopefully I can get away with just replacing a few. If compensation is looking good im guessing im up for a new pump.

I could probably pull out a set of a injectors out of a good running yd25 and see if that makes a difference as well before biting the bullet.
100,000k is too short a service life for injectors - my diesel mechanic says 2-300,000k's and then you have to think about replacing. Mine might go longer due to the highway miles I tend to do rather than short trips but next year I will probably be looking at injector replacement. It isn't cheap either, you won't get much change out of 4 grand as I understand that top rocker cover as part of the injector replacement - apparently, mine is plastic!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Injector pump made no difference either..

Apart from the fuel rail, hoses and pipes. I think I have replaced the whole diesel system now..

its still kind of sluggish on low revs and leaves a bit off a puff of black perhaps gray smoke over 3000rpm

I am starting to fear that this is just the way the Navaras are went they get over 200.000kms or that this issue is related to bottom end

if anyone wants to throw some more suggestions please do so..

Air filter
Maf sensor
Scv valve
Fuel filter
Injectors
Injector pump
Boost leaks
Egr blank at the exhaust manifold
Boost solenoid

·
Administrator
17,173 Posts
It might be worth gettingout your scan tool and checking that as many sensors as possible are reading sensibly.

For example, somebody on here once had a coolant temperature sensor showing the wrong temperature, so the engine thought it was cold and fuelled accordingly.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts